How do you recover files from partitioned drive?

This past weekend I went over to my friend's place to reformat his system and re-load all new software. He has 2 drives: 10GB and 30GB, the 30GB is partitioned in half, so I moved his files over to drive E: and ran fdisk on C: because he wanted to change the partition to a 34/66 split= 10GB/20GB, unfortunately I did not realize that the partitioned drive letters turned out to be C: and E:, I thought automatically that D: would have been the partitioned drive, but it turns out to be the second drive 10GB. So I formatted the C: and D:, but did not format the E:, in windows I can see the drive but can not access it, windows wants me to format it. I would like to restore/rescue my friend's files, do you know of a cheap data recovery program that will do this? Can anyone help?
4 answers Last reply
More about recover files partitioned drive
  1. oh dear. didnt you read the warning about all data being lost?
    Theres an app called lost and found by powerquest that can recover data, but you need a seperate drive to put the recovreed data onto, and if you use the drive in the meantime, your chances of data recovery become less.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers
  2. You could try to recover the data in DOS.

Create a folder in Windows for the data, with eight characters or less in the file name. (For convenience.)

Now, open a MS-DOS window while in the GUI.

Type this, at the C:\Windows prompt:

1.) cd (space)\ and the new directory name. Hit "Enter".
    2.) E:, and "Enter". (No comma or quotes.)
    3.) cd (space) and the folder name to be copied. It will be trundicated, because you are in DOS. Then "Enter".
    4.) Now type: xcopy (space) E: (space) C: (space) and these switches /e /c /i /q /h /r /k /y. Then "Enter".

There <i>must</i> be a space between each switch.

I'll do it again, in case there is some confusion. Let's assume that I want to copy a directory on the E: partition called My Downloads. I want to copy this folder's contents to a new directory on C: called My Files, and this folder is on the root of C: This is what it will look like ...

Open the DOS window.

C:\Windows
    cd \myfile~1 (Enter)
    E: (Enter)
    cd mydown~1 (Enter)
    xcopy E: C: /e /c /i /q /h /r /k /y (Enter)

If the files are still valid on the E: partition, this should move them. Once they are gone, delete the partition, and start over. And the next time, when running FDISK, be sure to check the status of the partitions <i>first</i>. Since all hard drives start with one partition, if both drives were on the system at the same time, it's not so unusual for the two main partitions to be C: on the Primary Master, D: on the Primary Slave, and the two additional logical partitions to be E: and F:, with E: on the first hard drive, and F: on the second. Remember, it's not the drive that is assigned a drive letter ... it's the <i>partition</i>, wherever it is located.

If you are not sure of the folder names, while in DOS, run the dir /p command to view the contents of a folder. This includes working at the root, because it is a folder, too. In other words;

C:\>

dir /p (Enter)

This will bring up a list of all files and folders in C: The /p switch is to slow down the display, so everything won't just fly by.

Note: It might be necessary for you to reboot, in order to clear the MS-DOS window.

I hope this helps you.

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

<font color=purple>"Have you noticed how much they look like orchids? Lovely!"</font color=purple>
  3. If you can throw his harddrive into another computer you could also do recover4all, very nice interface, it will work with a drive that has been formatted and re-partitioned, but some files will be lost and the more you use it the worse it gets.
  4. Pop's helped me out, he sent me a copy of Lost & Found. THANK YOU POP'S!!!
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Software Storage