Gaming PC $1000

Hello,

Approximate Purchase Date: Friday august 14, 2012
Budget Range: $1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming

Are you buying a monitor: No


Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Micro Center

Location: USA

Parts Preferences:

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 1024x768

Additional Comments:
Looking for a powerful gaming computer to run Battle Field 3, World of Warcraft, and Diablo 3 on. Would like to go with a i5 intel processor and a solid state drive... but am open to any suggestions.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Netbook doesnt run any games I would like to play.
40 answers Last reply
More about gaming 1000
  1. I'd say its possible. Do you expect to overclock with this build? if not then get Z75 motherboard, a Intel 3550. EVGA GTX 660 TI, Kingston HyperX 8GB kit. atleast a 600 or 650 watt power supply. Copy of windows 7 home premium 64 bit system builder/oem. Samsung write master DVD burner. and the case well cases are a personal choice
  2. Rockdpm said:
    I'd say its possible. Do you expect to overclock with this build? if not then get Z75 motherboard, a Intel 3550. EVGA GTX 660 TI, Kingston HyperX 8GB kit. atleast a 600 or 650 watt power supply. Copy of windows 7 home premium 64 bit system builder/oem. Samsung write master DVD burner. and the case well cases are a personal choice


    I was thinking id like to utilize a video cards like the MSI R7850 Twin Frozr OC AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB GDDR5 DVI/HDMI/2xMiniDisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card R7850 TWIN FROZR 2GD5/OC

    It seems powerful enough, but since I'm not the expert what do you think about this video card... over kill?
  3. Check out my $1000 build here:
    http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore#module147312351
    OS here: http://www.softwaresupplygroup.com/microsoft-windows-7-home-premium-64-bit-oem-branded.html
    Total: $1115

    It's a little more than you intended to spend but well worth it. You'll get MUCH MUCH more performance, you'll be getting an i5 3570K to overclock, a motherboard allowing 8x/8x in the future for CF/SLI and you'll be getting the Samsung 830 128GB SSD. Plus a 750w modular power supple that allows you to CF in the future.

    660 Ti not so hot: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-benchmark-review,3279-17.html
    7950 vs 7850: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/550?vs=549

    Your monitor resolution is a bit lacking though. At that resolution, even a 6770 or 7770 would be enough honestly. Are you upgrading your monitor anytime soon?
  4. JRS1Ghz said:
    I was thinking id like to utilize a video cards like the MSI R7850 Twin Frozr OC AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB GDDR5 DVI/HDMI/2xMiniDisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card R7850 TWIN FROZR 2GD5/OC

    It seems powerful enough, but since I'm not the expert what do you think about this video card... over kill?

    No its not overkill. But i don't think it will max BF3 out either. If thats what your going for anyways... Any other parts you want me to look over? and Also to give you a estimate of that card. I'd say atleast high but not ultra settings on BF3
  5. Thanks Rock! :D
  6. aznshinobi said:
    Check out my $1000 build here:
    http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore#module147312351
    OS here: http://www.softwaresupplygroup.com/microsoft-windows-7-home-premium-64-bit-oem-branded.html
    Total: $1115

    It's a little more than you intended to spend but well worth it. You'll get MUCH MUCH more performance, you'll be getting an i5 3570K to overclock, a motherboard allowing 8x/8x in the future for CF/SLI and you'll be getting the Samsung 830 128GB SSD. Plus a 750w modular power supple that allows you to CF in the future.

    660 Ti not so hot: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-benchmark-review,3279-17.html
    7950 vs 7850: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/550?vs=549

    Your monitor resolution is a bit lacking though. At that resolution, even a 6770 or 7770 would be enough honestly. Are you upgrading your monitor anytime soon?

    Oh yea great point about the monitor, i didn't notice that. Nice article by the way
  7. Again...

    Check out my $1000 build here:
    http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore#module147312351
    OS here: http://www.softwaresupplygroup.com/microsoft-windows-7-home-premium-64-bit-oem-branded.html
    Total: $1115

    It's a little more than you intended to spend but well worth it. You'll get MUCH MUCH more performance, you'll be getting an i5 3570K to overclock, a motherboard allowing 8x/8x in the future for CF/SLI and you'll be getting the Samsung 830 128GB SSD. Plus a 750w modular power supple that allows you to CF in the future.

    660 Ti not so hot: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-benchmark-review,3279-17.html
    7950 vs 7850: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/550?vs=549

    Your monitor resolution is a bit lacking though. At that resolution, even a 6770 or 7770 would be enough honestly. Are you upgrading your monitor anytime soon?
  8. Rockdpm said:
    No its not overkill. But i don't think it will max BF3 out either. If thats what your going for anyways... Any other parts you want me to look over? and Also to give you a estimate of that card. I'd say atleast high but not ultra settings on BF3


    Yes you are correct I want max setting for BF3

    and for the processor i was leaning towards
    Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo)


    And btw I want a simple case and was leaning towards the ANtec threehundred two gaming case


    Any help would be greatly appreciated
  9. Well the fact is i play on a small monitor because i'm blind in my left eye so I prefer a smaller monitor... my eye picks more up on a smaller monitor than having to look this way and that... but i understand what your saying :)
  10. JRS1Ghz said:
    Yes you are correct I want max setting for BF3

    and for the processor i was leaning towards
    Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo)


    And btw I want a simple case and was leaning towards the ANtec threehundred two gaming case


    Any help would be greatly appreciated

    Listen to aznshinobi. he will get you settled with a build plan
  11. aznshinobi said:
    Again...

    Check out my $1000 build here:
    http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore#module147312351
    OS here: http://www.softwaresupplygroup.com/microsoft-windows-7-home-premium-64-bit-oem-branded.html
    Total: $1115

    It's a little more than you intended to spend but well worth it. You'll get MUCH MUCH more performance, you'll be getting an i5 3570K to overclock, a motherboard allowing 8x/8x in the future for CF/SLI and you'll be getting the Samsung 830 128GB SSD. Plus a 750w modular power supple that allows you to CF in the future.

    660 Ti not so hot: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-benchmark-review,3279-17.html
    7950 vs 7850: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/550?vs=549

    Your monitor resolution is a bit lacking though. At that resolution, even a 6770 or 7770 would be enough honestly. Are you upgrading your monitor anytime soon?


    I was not planning on upgrading is a small monitor a problem?
  12. JRS1Ghz said:
    I was not planning on upgrading is a small monitor a problem?

    You ever seen a guy that has a Huge house but drivers around in a carolla? yea thats what this would be like... having a kick ass gaming rig and your monitor being the anoyying bottleneck
  13. Rockdpm said:
    You ever seen a guy that has a Huge house but drivers around in a carolla? yea thats what this would be like... having a kick ass gaming rig and your monitor being the anoyying bottleneck


    So a smaller monitor is a drawback... what size should i have?
  14. atleast a 23" or 24" as long as its 1080p
  15. A small monitor isn't a problem.

    However, even low end video cards can max out at such low resolutions. Games will also not look at their best. If you're fine with it, I suggest downgrading your computer specs significantly.

    Edit: Ninja'd
  16. Rockdpm said:
    atleast a 23" or 24" as long as its 1080p


    I have a 21.5 inch screen at 1080p, there are smaller screens I believe with 1080p resolution.
  17. koudou said:
    A small monitor isn't a problem.

    However, even low end video cards can max out at such low resolutions. Games will also not look at their best. If you're fine with it, I suggest downgrading your computer specs significantly.

    Edit: Ninja'd

    Sorry but i don't think you can call the "Ninja'd" card until you win something
  18. koudou said:
    I have a 21.5 inch screen at 1080p, there are smaller screens I believe with 1080p resolution.

    Right but i wasn't talking about you. I was answering his question
  19. aznshinobi said:
    Again...

    Check out my $1000 build here:
    http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore#module147312351
    OS here: http://www.softwaresupplygroup.com/microsoft-windows-7-home-premium-64-bit-oem-branded.html
    Total: $1115

    It's a little more than you intended to spend but well worth it. You'll get MUCH MUCH more performance, you'll be getting an i5 3570K to overclock, a motherboard allowing 8x/8x in the future for CF/SLI and you'll be getting the Samsung 830 128GB SSD. Plus a 750w modular power supple that allows you to CF in the future.

    660 Ti not so hot: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-benchmark-review,3279-17.html
    7950 vs 7850: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/550?vs=549

    Your monitor resolution is a bit lacking though. At that resolution, even a 6770 or 7770 would be enough honestly. Are you upgrading your monitor anytime soon?


    I like your build is all that stuff from newegg?
  20. JRS1Ghz said:
    I like your build is all that stuff from newegg?

    It can be purchased from Newegg, yes
  21. Rockdpm said:
    Right but i wasn't talking about you. I was answering his question


    Absolutely. I apologize for the confusion. I was simply stating that there are smaller screens at 1080p than 23" and above considering that the op stated that he preferred smaller screens due to his circumstances.
  22. aznshinobi said:
    Again...

    Check out my $1000 build here:
    http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore#module147312351
    OS here: http://www.softwaresupplygroup.com/microsoft-windows-7-home-premium-64-bit-oem-branded.html
    Total: $1115

    It's a little more than you intended to spend but well worth it. You'll get MUCH MUCH more performance, you'll be getting an i5 3570K to overclock, a motherboard allowing 8x/8x in the future for CF/SLI and you'll be getting the Samsung 830 128GB SSD. Plus a 750w modular power supple that allows you to CF in the future.

    660 Ti not so hot: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-benchmark-review,3279-17.html
    7950 vs 7850: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/550?vs=549

    Your monitor resolution is a bit lacking though. At that resolution, even a 6770 or 7770 would be enough honestly. Are you upgrading your monitor anytime soon?


    I am goin to upgrade my monitor when i get the chance yes...
  23. JRS1Ghz said:
    I am goin to upgrade my monitor when i get the chance yes...

    Good idea
  24. koudou said:
    Absolutely. I apologize for the confusion. I was simply stating that there are smaller screens at 1080p than 23" and above considering that the op stated that he preferred smaller screens due to his circumstances.

    no need to appologize, I had no intentions of griefing you. But I was just saying, some prices you pay for a 20" 1080p, u could get a 23" 1080p monitor
  25. Rockdpm said:
    no need to appologize, I had no intentions of griefing you. But I was just saying, some prices you pay for a 20" 1080p, u could get a 23" 1080p monitor


    I've just learned to be polite in forums to keep conflicts at bay, especially when you're so new!
  26. koudou said:
    I've just learned to be polite in forums to keep conflicts at bay, especially when you're so new!

    Rookies!, Don't worry you'll get used to it. Welcome to the forums btw. If you ever need directions or such. Please send me a PM
  27. What do you guys think about this build

    Antec Three Hundred Two Gaming Case, Black


    Corsair CX 750 Watts 80PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V/EPS12V Power Supply CP-9020015-NA


    ASRock Z77 Extreme3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00


    Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

    Sony Optiarc 24X DVD Burner, Bulk Package Black SATA Model AD-7280S-0B - OEM


    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2


    Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB SATA III 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive - WD5000AAKX

    SanDisk 128 GB 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive (SDSSDP-128G- G25)


    MSI R7850 Twin Frozr OC AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB GDDR5 DVI/HDMI/2xMiniDisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card R7850 TWIN FROZR 2GD5/OC
  28. JRS1Ghz said:
    What do you guys think about this build

    Antec Three Hundred Two Gaming Case, Black


    Corsair CX 750 Watts 80PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V/EPS12V Power Supply CP-9020015-NA


    ASRock Z77 Extreme3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00


    Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

    Sony Optiarc 24X DVD Burner, Bulk Package Black SATA Model AD-7280S-0B - OEM


    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2


    Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB SATA III 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive - WD5000AAKX

    SanDisk 128 GB 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive (SDSSDP-128G- G25)


    MSI R7850 Twin Frozr OC AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB GDDR5 DVI/HDMI/2xMiniDisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card R7850 TWIN FROZR 2GD5/OC

    Change the power supply to a Corsair TX 750, git rid of either the SSD or the HDD and use it to get your copy of windows 7
  29. You should get a better monitor. Here is a build with a 1920x1080 21.5"monitor close to your price range.

    cpu - i5 3570k micro center $190

    cpu cooler - cm hyper 212 evo $35 newegg

    mobo - asrock z77 pro4 $118 newegg

    ram - corsair vengeance low profile 8gb $43 newegg

    hdd - wd 500gb $70 newegg

    gpu - msi twin frozr 7850 $212 after rebate newegg

    psu - xfx pro550w $50 after rebate ncix.com

    case - corsair 300r $70 after rebate newegg

    monitor - acer s220hqlabd 21.5" 1920x1080 $120 newegg

    optical drive - asus $20 newegg

    os - windows 7 $100 newegg

    total is $1028 after rebates
  30. Like I list this PSU:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182133&Tpk=rosewill%20750%20hive
    20% right now. A better PSU, the unit is modular and efficiency is the same. Saves you money, a lot of money, too.
    Review: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Rosewill-HIVE-650-W-Power-Supply-Review/1460
    Solid marks.

    This SSD if you do get an SSD but with your budget, I wouldn't get one.
    http://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-7PC128B-WW/dp/B0077CR60Q%3FSubscriptionId%3D19BAZMZQFZJ6G2QYGCG2%26tag%3Dsquid1240995-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB0077CR60Q
    Benches better and probably on par if not better reliability.

    The GPU, I would be weary of the 7850 running max at 1080P, hence why I suggested that you should drop the SSD for a better card. In which case I'd just go with the 7950. Great card great price currently: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102989
  31. aznshinobi said:
    Like I list this PSU:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182133&Tpk=rosewill%20750%20hive
    20% right now. A better PSU, the unit is modular and efficiency is the same. Saves you money, a lot of money, too.
    Review: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Rosewill-HIVE-650-W-Power-Supply-Review/1460
    Solid marks.

    This SSD if you do get an SSD but with your budget, I wouldn't get one.
    http://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-7PC128B-WW/dp/B0077CR60Q%3FSubscriptionId%3D19BAZMZQFZJ6G2QYGCG2%26tag%3Dsquid1240995-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB0077CR60Q
    Benches better and probably on par if not better reliability.

    The GPU, I would be weary of the 7850 running max at 1080P, hence why I suggested that you should drop the SSD for a better card. In which case I'd just go with the 7950. Great card great price currently: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102989

    Agreed
  32. aznshinobi said:
    Like I list this PSU:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182133&Tpk=rosewill%20750%20hive
    20% right now. A better PSU, the unit is modular and efficiency is the same. Saves you money, a lot of money, too.
    Review: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Rosewill-HIVE-650-W-Power-Supply-Review/1460
    Solid marks.

    This SSD if you do get an SSD but with your budget, I wouldn't get one.
    http://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-7PC128B-WW/dp/B0077CR60Q%3FSubscriptionId%3D19BAZMZQFZJ6G2QYGCG2%26tag%3Dsquid1240995-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB0077CR60Q
    Benches better and probably on par if not better reliability.

    The GPU, I would be weary of the 7850 running max at 1080P, hence why I suggested that you should drop the SSD for a better card. In which case I'd just go with the 7950. Great card great price currently: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102989


    cpu - i5 3570k micro center $190

    cpu cooler - cm hyper 212 evo $35 newegg

    mobo - asrock z77 pro4 $118 newegg

    ram - corsair vengeance low profile 8gb $43 newegg

    hdd - wd 500gb $70 newegg

    gpu - XFX FX-795A-TNFC Radeon HD 7950 Core Edition 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card $319

    psu - xfx pro550w $50 after rebate ncix.com

    case - corsair 300r $70 after rebate newegg

    monitor - acer s220hqlabd 21.5" 1920x1080 $120 newegg

    optical drive - asus $20 newegg

    os - windows 7 $100 newegg

    $1135


    Does this work together?
  33. JRS1Ghz said:
    cpu - i5 3570k micro center $190

    cpu cooler - cm hyper 212 evo $35 newegg

    mobo - asrock z77 pro4 $118 newegg

    ram - corsair vengeance low profile 8gb $43 newegg

    hdd - wd 500gb $70 newegg

    gpu - XFX FX-795A-TNFC Radeon HD 7950 Core Edition 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card $319

    psu - xfx pro550w $50 after rebate ncix.com

    case - corsair 300r $70 after rebate newegg

    monitor - acer s220hqlabd 21.5" 1920x1080 $120 newegg

    optical drive - asus $20 newegg

    os - windows 7 $100 newegg

    $1135


    Does this work together?

    Yes everything is compatible!. What hard drive is that by the way? Caviar Black? or Blue? Blue = ok, black = best. Green=no go
  34. I would also like to say, I've been saving this money for over 6 months, I just want to build the best possible machine i can.
  35. Rockdpm said:
    Yes everything is compatible!. What hard drive is that by the way? Caviar Black? or Blue? Blue = ok, black = best. Green=no go


    I am not sure...
  36. It was posted like that by another guy i believe. So go with a black one of that brand then?
  37. JRS1Ghz said:
    It was posted like that by another guy i believe. So go with a black one of that brand then?


    It was the blue and it will be just fine. You don't have to get the black its like $30 more.
  38. Unless you live near a microcenter, you won't get that deal. It is in-store only. If you do, also buy the motherboard there.
  39. I have the extreme4 my self and love the board so far. I wouldn't get the pro4 just because it's not meant for icing even though it's z77. I can get 4.5 GHz on my 3570k easily with stock voltage on. That board is like getting a mind range premium board for a low end board price line
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product