Video Card Upgrade Question

Hello all. I am considering an upgrade to my SLI GTX 570's. I am reading very good things about the new 670's and am wondering if I should upgrade or not to SLI 670's. Here are my current specs:


Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz - OC'ed to 4.5 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth P67
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair XMS3 Series
Power Supply: 800W Corsair GS (Dual SLI Compatible)
Video Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB (Includes PhysX Technology)

I game at 1920 x 1200 and play games like Skyrim, BF3, The Witcher 2, Arkam City, and soon Guild Wars 2. My rig handles most games on Ultra but sometimes has framerate issues. A few questions:

-Is my motherboard compatible with 670 video cards?
-Will I see a big performance gain by upgrading?
Is my 800w power supply enough for SLI 670's?
When will 700 series cards be coming out (approx)? Should I wait to upgrade?

Any help would be greatly appreciate. Thanks
17 answers Last reply
More about video card upgrade question
  1. - - - -
  2. Your board will be fully compatible with the GTX 670, I'm not sure if your board has PCI-E Gen 3 support, but either way, you will be fine running the 670. With the greater VRAM on the 670, you should see a good increase in performance at 1200p with Skyrim, BF3 which are VRAm heavy games.

    Performance gain will be decent on Skyrim and BF3, the other games you'll see SOME gain.

    If anything, the 670's are reportedly more power sipping than the 570's, so if your PSU held well with 570's, you'll be more than fine with 670's (from memory).

    Lastly, no one knows about the 700 series... Nvidia launched LATE this round, so I won't expect 700 series until the AMD 8000 series have landed near the end of the year. Nvidia has been on reactionary responses following up on AMD's launches.
  3. I have a feeling you might be disappointed, as your largest gains will be in something you won't fully notice; power usage is going to PLUMMET from where you're at now.

    Though, one large thing you WILL notice asap is the heat pump that SLI'd 580's/570's produce. A set of 670's are going to cut your power usage, and heat production in half.
  4. I would not do it. You've already got an extremely powerful rig, and upgrading it would be a waste of money. I suppose witcher 2 is giving you framerate problems?
  5. I am seriously debating SLI 680's similar to: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130771
    That card would probably offer the biggest performance gain that I can afford so maybe I will do that as long as mobo and power supply is not an issue.

    Thanks guys
  6. Sunius said:
    I would not do it. You've already got an extremely powerful rig, and upgrading it would be a waste of money. I suppose witcher 2 is giving you framerate problems?


    Skyrim is giving me framerate problem's in some areas, especially with the mods enabled.
  7. rohan99 said:
    Skyrim is giving me framerate problem's in some areas, especially with the mods enabled.


    You are VRAM limited then. Either 670 or 680 will fix that up with their massive VRAM.
  8. Hmm that's strange, skyrim isn't that demanding.. or at least that's what I thought :D
  9. Sunius said:
    Hmm that's strange, skyrim isn't that demanding.. or at least that's what I thought :D


    That was my understanding too :D maybe it is because of the mod optimization?

    I think 680's would offer the most improvement over my current rig. Part of the reason for the upgrade is the opportunity to get some money back for the sale of the 570's as well.
  10. Have you seen Nvidia's Skyrim tweaking guide ? It has nice performance comparisons for different settings, as well as how that translate to visuals via image captures.

    http://www.geforce.co.uk/optimise/guides/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-tweak-guide/#1
  11. Do you guys think that my Power Supply: 800W Corsair GS (Dual SLI Compatible) will be able to handle 2 - 680's in SLI?
  12. rohan99 said:
    Do you guys think that my Power Supply: 800W Corsair GS (Dual SLI Compatible) will be able to handle 2 - 680's in SLI?


    As per Nvidia

    Maximum Thermal Power of GTX 680 - 195 Watts
    Maximum Thermal Power of GTX 570 - 219 Watts

    If anything, I think you will SAVE a bit of power and wear and tear on the PSU.
  13. Graphite946 said:
    I have a feeling you might be disappointed, as your largest gains will be in something you won't fully notice; power usage is going to PLUMMET from where you're at now.

    Though, one large thing you WILL notice asap is the heat pump that SLI'd 580's/570's produce. A set of 670's are going to cut your power usage, and heat production in half.


    rohan99 said:
    Do you guys think that my Power Supply: 800W Corsair GS (Dual SLI Compatible) will be able to handle 2 - 680's in SLI?


    As I posted before, these new cards don't use nearly the power the 5XX series cards did. It's amazing.
  14. Graphite946 said:
    As I posted before, these new cards don't use nearly the power the 5XX series cards did. It's amazing.


    I understand and appreciate your feedback. I only ask because there was a review on Newegg for the EVGA Superclocked 680 that mentioned his 850w power supply couldn't handle the card. Maybe his PSU was old..
  15. rohan99 said:
    I understand and appreciate your feedback. I only ask because there was a review on Newegg for the EVGA Superclocked 680 that mentioned his 850w power supply couldn't handle the card. Maybe his PSU was old..



    The issue with newegg reviews are that most of them are not "power users" and don't understand exactly what they are doing.

    Telling you, "I have a 850 watt powersupply" really says nothing. It's equivalent to me telling you, "It's in a metal box and has wires"

    Terrific, it tells me nothing. The difference between a corsair 850, and a coolermaster 850 are VERY VERY far apart.

    So be more aware of what you're reading, and be quick to discount it if they aren't including all the relative/needed info.
  16. I pulled the trigger on 2 - EVGA 680's and got $20 off of each of them. Thanks to everyone for the feedback.
  17. rohan99 said:
    I pulled the trigger on 2 - EVGA 680's and got $20 off of each of them. Thanks to everyone for the feedback.



    Awesome, happy gaming to you! Now do some research on drivers..as I am doing the same, with 2 670's.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards SLI Graphics Product