Help to get a good motherboard and CPU

So, I want to upgrade to a better mother board and processor for games coming out soon and the future. I already have a Asus M4A785T-M and AMD Athlon II x 3 Quad core. I already bought a Geforce 2gb 550 TI. This is going to be an upgrade from a Geforce 280 GT.

Any advice will be appreciated.

I'm thinking about getting one of those Z77 models, but I'm not sure if I need it. I do want my RAM to be about 8 - 16 gbs. I'm also looking at a I5 intel core processor, and again, I'm not sure if I need it. I know I don't want a I7 intel core processor, because its probably too powerful for what I need. Also, I just want longevity for these products. I haven't upgraded anything for 5 years, so I'd like to do that again. Anyway, I just want to be able to play a plethora of games with awesome graphics and good FPS.

Like I said, any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.
7 answers Last reply
More about help good motherboard
  1. In the absence of a budget I am assuming you are looking at spending a reasonable about of cash on the setup so let me go out on the fly;

    INTEL I5 SETUP:

    i5 3570k
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    G.Skill Ares(pick a color) DDR3 12800/1600 8GB kit
    XFX Core Edition Pro 650w
    CASE: User preference.

    AMD FX SETUP:

    FX 6300
    MSI 990FX-GD80
    Crucial Ballistix Tracers DDR3 1600 8GB kit
    XFX Core Edition Pro 650w
    CASE: User preference

    The AMD setup will probably cost you around $100 less.

    Also that GPU is a no no, its weaker than a HD6850 and 7770/7750. You can pick up a HD7850 OC for $180, very potent card.
  2. sarinaide said:
    In the absence of a budget I am assuming you are looking at spending a reasonable about of cash on the setup so let me go out on the fly;

    INTEL I5 SETUP:

    i5 3570k
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    G.Skill Ares(pick a color) DDR3 12800/1600 8GB kit
    XFX Core Edition Pro 650w
    CASE: User preference.

    AMD FX SETUP:

    FX 6300
    MSI 990FX-GD80
    Crucial Ballistix Tracers DDR3 1600 8GB kit
    XFX Core Edition Pro 650w
    CASE: User preference

    The AMD setup will probably cost you around $100 less.

    Also that GPU is a no no, its weaker than a HD6850 and 7770/7750. You can pick up a HD7850 OC for $180, very potent card.


    Cool. Thanks, dude.

    I honestly don't want to spend a lot of money on all of these things. Like you said, I want to spend a reasonable amount of money. When I bought my parts in 2008, everything cost about 800-900 dollars and I thought it wasn't bad. I mean, everything was paid for itself by about 5 years. I figure $800 is enough for what I want to do with it, ie. watch movies, play games. Know what I mean?

    Secondly, my bad. I bought the GTX 650 TI 2GB. Oops. I was probably looking at something else when I wrote the other thing down.

    Anyway, I want to have a reasonable price for the parts I want to put in. Do you think that i5 processor and Z77 platforms are worth the money? Just curious. I'm definitely eyeing those 2 right now. The reviews are great for the processor on newegg, but the gigabyte you mentioned seems to upset a lot of people on start-up. Also, if you don't mind me asking, what's your set-up like? Maybe I can emulate your rig a little.
  3. That setup was a old HTPC setup, its a ITX form factor, the 3570T is a 2.2ghz-2.8ghz boost low power i5 and the Z77E is a ITX board, you can use the GPU on it though so not all is lost.

    If you want small form factor then I would consider it, a few suggestions I would make though;

    1) use a 3570k.
    2) use a H80i cooler
    3) for cases the Bitfenix Prodigy is a nice case but you can look at a coolermaster Elite 120 or Silverstone Sugo 5 or 7.

    The UD5H won motherboard of 2012 so it aint that bad, just gigabyte have reliability issues. You can downscale to a Gigabyte Z77 UD3P or ASRock Pro 3 or ASRock Extreme 4 (both Z77)

    What PSU you got and what cooling you got?
  4. sarinaide said:
    That setup was a old HTPC setup, its a ITX form factor, the 3570T is a 2.2ghz-2.8ghz boost low power i5 and the Z77E is a ITX board, you can use the GPU on it though so not all is lost.

    If you want small form factor then I would consider it, a few suggestions I would make though;

    1) use a 3570k.
    2) use a H80i cooler
    3) for cases the Bitfenix Prodigy is a nice case but you can look at a coolermaster Elite 120 or Silverstone Sugo 5 or 7.

    The UD5H won motherboard of 2012 so it aint that bad, just gigabyte have reliability issues. You can downscale to a Gigabyte Z77 UD3P or ASRock Pro 3 or ASRock Extreme 4 (both Z77)

    What PSU you got and what cooling you got?



    ITX? Form factor? I'm confused. I'm somewhat new to the computer world, so yeah, I don't know what that means. I have have a ATX 800 watt corsair gaming series. I don't have a cooling system per se, I just have a couple fans, stock and some extra. I believe I have about 4 or 5 fans in there. I'd have to check again for that.
  5. bonuspoints1120 said:
    ITX? Form factor? I'm confused. I'm somewhat new to the computer world, so yeah, I don't know what that means. I have have a ATX 800 watt corsair gaming series. I don't have a cooling system per se, I just have a couple fans, stock and some extra. I believe I have about 4 or 5 fans in there. I'd have to check again for that.


    Form Factor refers to motherboard size;

    Extended ATX being the biggest of form factor, will mini ITX being the smallest form factor.

    http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77E-ITX/

    That is the ITX board I have in the Intel HTPC I have, as you can see its a very small motherboard.

    If I where you I would go with the UD5H + 3570K + H80i cooler.
  6. sarinaide said:
    Form Factor refers to motherboard size;

    Extended ATX being the biggest of form factor, will mini ITX being the smallest form factor.

    http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77E-ITX/

    That is the ITX board I have in the Intel HTPC I have, as you can see its a very small motherboard.

    If I where you I would go with the UD5H + 3570K + H80i cooler.


    Alright, sounds good to me. Do you think all that could fit in a mid-tower? I don't feel like buying a full one. I'll probably buy everything within next month and let you know how it goes. Thanks again.
  7. The UD5H will go into any mid tower case as its standard ATX form factor.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Processors Motherboards Product