What is the best 7200RPM IDE HD?

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I would say the Maxtor D740X ATA133 drive due out in October (but they say it's available now through major distributors). It also has the FDM (Fluid Dynamic Bearing). If you want to spend the money on a new (non proven) interface.

Other then that I would go with the Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 60 series (model 5T060H6).

<font color=red>BIOS updates do wonders ....</font color=red>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
ATA133 is only a minor update so I don't think you should be too worried about it.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

FatBurger

Illustrious
The fluid bearings will be nice, though. For those of you who can hear the hard drives over your HSF, of course :)

I recommend the 60GXP for current hard drives. Cheap, fast, quiet...

<font color=green>In memory of all the Americans that died 9/11/01
Rest in peace</font color=green>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
heh. personally i would prefer a 10,000rpm IDE drive and wait for proper serial ata.

as for what drive to reccomend, 60GXP.

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Where is everyone hearing this about the 10k RPM IDE hard drive? Anything I read about serial ATA doesn't mention that anywhere ...

Anyone have any information on that?

<font color=red>BIOS updates do wonders ....</font color=red>

DOOM

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2001
I've heard that the Quantum Fireball Plus is one of the best drives on the market. That, and the IBM Deskstar.

Of course, Maxtor bought Quantum, so maybe they put all that good stuff into the newest DiamondMaxes...

FatBurger

Illustrious
The Quantam Fireball Plus AS (which I believe you are referring to, seen <A HREF="http://www4.tomshardware.com/storage/01q1/010312/cebit-05.html" target="_new">here</A>), is a very nice drive. Fast, and also with FDB (Fluid Dynamic Bearings, only on Fujitsu and Quantam drives currently, AFAIK). The only other question is reliability. Some people trust Quantam (and Maxtor, for that matter), some don't. It's up to you.

G

I just read the review of WD 1000BB. I am just curious why they don't benchmark the Deskstar 60GXP instead of the outdated 75GXP?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Tom has long kept the 75GXP as a favorite. Even when the Maxtor, Fujitsu and Quamtam drives all beat it in the same review he didn't really outright say that the 75GXP has been bested.
And maybe he hasn't gotten his hands on a 60GXP to review yet?