Sign in with
Your question

120hz monitor or 60hz monitor+ssd+cooler GTX 560

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 23, 2012 8:59:47 PM

Hello im new to this forum and i've been researching about this matter for a long time but couldnt get any exact answer to the problem.(I dont know if i created this topic in the right place)

My PC Specs:

Intel i5 2500k @3.3ghz
MSI Z77A-G43
Asus GTX 560 DirectCu II
8gb DDR3 1333mhz ram
Inca IL-822A 1680x1050 monitor.

I currently have an Inca Il-822A monitor which has DVI and VGA inputs and a resolution of 1680x1050 supported with 2ms response time(not sure that this is true)
And i've been thinking it's about to upgrade a few of my computer parts as i did with my parts inside the case.

So i wonder what would be the best thing to do in this situation.

I've got a few possibilities:

1.Buy Benq XL2420T or Samsung S23A700D or that sort of 3d 120hz monitor
2.Buy HP x2301 or Samsung S24A350H or that sort of 1080p 60hz 2-3ms monitor along with a 120gb SSD and Thermaltake Contac 30 Cooler
3.Exact same situation as the second one except buy another 2x4GB memory and make 16gb's of memory instead of a cpu cooler.

So i need some advices on what to do here i can accept any monitor cheaper than the Benq XL2420T that would be a good decision because i will be using monitor for like 3 years.

And also would i experience any massive performance hits with 1920x1080 resolution with my GTX 560 considering that i'll be playing BF3 GTA V or AC3 and so on.

Thanks for everyones' answers..
a b C Monitor
July 23, 2012 9:47:52 PM

The GTX 560 is a great card but it wont be able to feed your 120Hz monitor especially running BF3 unless you run low settings , but older games is a go.

AMD cards= samsung monitor for 3d
Nvidia cards= Benq, Asus etc

Again you need more graphic power if you want 3D
July 23, 2012 11:06:26 PM

So would Benq RL2450H, SSD and a cooler would do the job for me?
Related resources
July 23, 2012 11:07:02 PM

Running at 120hz for BF3 is going to require more than a single 560 for stunning visuals.

Get the 120hz monitor, so when you do get the graphical performance you can simply jump into 120fps gaming.

A SSD is always a great thing to have, especially with the pricing of them as of lately, but I would go for performance first, load times can wait :p 

I would suggest the Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 120GB @ under $100 for your SSD needs.

I'll put it like this, 120hz gaming for BF3 is epic. Much better than 60hz gaming for BF3. If I had the option to get a 120hz monitor that is what I would do over the 60hz any day even if I can't fully run 120hz as of yet.

You can get the Hyper 212 for $20 off newegg. Great budget cooler.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?SID=yROJbNQl...
July 23, 2012 11:14:23 PM

If i buy a 120hz monitor i could buy other parts that i mentioned in the following years months maybe. So is it really that better and do i "have" to get 120fps to see the difference?
July 23, 2012 11:22:32 PM

battle1 said:
If i buy a 120hz monitor i could buy other parts that i mentioned in the following years months maybe. So is it really that better and do i "have" to get 120fps to see the difference?

For first person shooter gaming, running the game at 120fps is always a win over 60fps.

I personally will be buying a 120hz monitor myself (or a 4K res monitor) for my BF3 experience. Even if it means lowering my game specs, its well worth the performance gain.

Don't get me wrong, a 60hz 1080p monitor is excellent for BF3 for your regular gamer, but for enthusiast FPS gamers 120hz is the way to go. Especially with online multiplayer fps gaming 120hz monitors are the way to go and will be the norm here in the future for your average fps gamer once the screens become more affordable.

Most people will still stick with 60fps gaming because they think it won't make a difference raising to 120fps or they don't have the graphical performance to properly run 120hz.

The screen doesn't make the player, but it sure helps improve your overall gameplay experience.

Just having a 120hz monitor isn't what I am referring to btw, I actually mean running the game at 120 frames per.
July 23, 2012 11:24:42 PM

battle1 said:

No, you don't have to get 120FPS to see the difference. I've personally used a 120Hz monitor before, and it sure feels extremely snappy compared to my ole 60Hz.

However, no matter what the refresh rate of your monitor is, you can't really beat the snappy experience of an SSD. And as akamrcrack has said, with prices how they are lately, there hasn't been a better time to buy one.

I would opt to get an SSD and the Hyper 212+/EVO. Save the money you have towards a 1080p 60Hz monitor, and use that towards a 120Hz OR a better GPU.
July 23, 2012 11:27:48 PM

mocchan said:
No, you don't have to get 120FPS to see the difference. I've personally used a 120Hz monitor before, and it sure feels extremely snappy compared to my ole 60Hz.

However, no matter what the refresh rate of your monitor is, you can't really beat the snappy experience of an SSD. And as akamrcrack has said, with prices how they are lately, there hasn't been a better time to buy one.

I would opt to get an SSD and the Hyper 212+/EVO. Save the money you have towards a 1080p 60Hz monitor, and use that towards a 120Hz OR a better GPU.

Either way, he can't go wrong with his purchases. Just will change the end-game outcome of his pcs visual performance.

@ OP what is your total budget for everything you are going to be spending money on?
July 23, 2012 11:28:51 PM

akamrcrack said:
Either way, he can't go wrong with his purchases. Just will change the end-game outcome of his pcs visual performance.

@ OP what is your total budget for everything you are going to be spending money on?

Very true :) 
July 23, 2012 11:28:53 PM

akamrcrack said:
For first person shooter gaming, running the game at 120fps is always a win over 60fps.

I personally will be buying a 120hz monitor myself (or a 4K res monitor) for my BF3 experience. Even if it means lowering my game specs, its well worth the performance gain.

Don't get me wrong, a 60hz 1080p monitor is excellent for BF3 for your regular gamer, but for enthusiast FPS gamers 120hz is the way to go. Especially with online multiplayer fps gaming 120hz monitors are the way to go and will be the norm here in the future for your average fps gamer once the screens become more affordable.

Most people will still stick with 60fps gaming because they think it won't make a difference raising to 120fps or they don't have the graphical performance to properly run 120hz.

The screen doesn't make the player, but it sure helps improve your overall gameplay experience.

Just having a 120hz monitor isn't what I am referring to btw, I actually mean running the game at 120 frames per.

What I've always found hilarious about "getting past 60 frames" in gaming is that back in the day playing on a very expensive low lag CRT I never once could say there was any noticeable difference once you get past 80 frames per second. 120 is kind of a gimmick.

Regardless, 120hz LCD panels are cool tech and if you're really trying to get a nice monitor the Yamakasi Catleap 27" IPS can be had for about $330 and it will display in the range of 100fps if your GPU(s) can manage that.
a b C Monitor
July 23, 2012 11:33:49 PM

s3anister said:
What I've always found hilarious about "getting past 60 frames" in gaming is that back in the day playing on a very expensive low lag CRT I never once could say there was any noticeable difference once you get past 80 frames per second. 120 is kind of a gimmick.

Regardless, 120hz LCD panels are cool tech and if you're really trying to get a nice monitor the Yamakasi Catleap 27" IPS can be had for about $330 and it will display in the range of 100fps if your GPU(s) can manage that.

yeah those catleaps overclock very well, yeah there are those that believe 120hz is a gimmick but its not. Difference for me is night and day.
July 23, 2012 11:34:45 PM

s3anister said:

The noticeable difference isn't something your eyeball picks up on, its something your PC registers.

Which is why 120fps first person shooter gaming is better than 60fps. As is 200+ fps versus 120fps / 60fps.

Your eyeball stops seeing a visual difference after X fps, but your PC's eyeball picks up on it and improvements are had.

Example, If I made a perfect clone of myself and paired him with a perfect clone of my pc except I have a 120fps cap and my clone has a 60fps cap. You would think in a game we would do the same things at the same time and would cancel eachother out, but what happens is that the 120fps version of myself outperforms the 60fps version. Not because of what my eyeballs can see, but because of what my pc can register.

A gimmick? maybe in a 3rd person single player side scroller ;p
July 23, 2012 11:39:51 PM

akamrcrack said:

Well as the prices in my country and the country you live in is very very different i cant make up an exact amount but lets say that uhmm i can afford an Benq RL2450H along with a 120gb SSD and that cooler you mentioned OR Benq XL2420T if not, at least a S23A700D only.
July 23, 2012 11:46:15 PM

battle1 said:
Well as the prices in my country and the country you live in is very very different i cant make up an exact amount but lets say that uhmm i can afford an Benq RL2450H along with a 120gb SSD and that cooler you mentioned OR Benq XL2420T if not, at least a S23A700D only.

Where are you located?
July 23, 2012 11:52:26 PM

akamrcrack said:
The noticeable difference isn't something your eyeball picks up on, its something your PC registers.

Which is why 120fps first person shooter gaming is better than 60fps. As is 200+ fps versus 120fps / 60fps.

Your eyeball stops seeing a visual difference after X fps, but your PC's eyeball picks up on it and improvements are had.

Example, If I made a perfect clone of myself and paired him with a perfect clone of my pc except I have a 120fps cap and my clone has a 60fps cap. You would think in a game we would do the same things at the same time and would cancel eachother out, but what happens is that the 120fps version of myself outperforms the 60fps version. Not because of what my eyeballs can see, but because of what my pc can register.

A gimmick? maybe in a 3rd person single player side scroller ;p

You do realize that nothing you just said makes sense, right? Once you get past the human body's physical limit to interpret visual signals anything else displayed goes physically unseen and as such is not sent as data to the brain. In that respect yes there would be a difference in 60fps vs 120fps gaming but not in 120 vs. 240, for example. Also, the PC does not have an "eyeball" that analogy is ridiculous, with v sync off on a 60hz monitor the computer is not limited in any way because its allowed to do all of the processing internally without a cap. The only thing happening externally that you would notice is that the display would be limiting the frames physically displayed even though the GPU is sending all of the frames. There would be no difference in internal lag between a computer that has a 60hz monitor and one that had a 120hz monitor and you would regardless still be limited by the person, the Tx and Rx lag of the network in online/LAN games and to a very small degree the lag of the mouse and keyboard unless you're using a wireless setup, in which case there would be more input lag.

Regardless, I wasn't saying breaking past 60fps was a gimmick, I was saying that 120 is somewhat of a gimmick because going beyond 80-85fps you will not find a single human on this planet that can physically register that many frames. The only benefit comes from capping the computer's processing power at a higher number allowing things to happen faster internally.
July 23, 2012 11:52:41 PM

I live in Turkey and the fellas here dont know much about things you guys know so i wanted to post it here. And to compare the prices i guess that uhmmm

1 Euro and Dollar should be considered 2 thus making a monitor that costs about 300$ probably costs around 600-650$ here and if you guys use pound you should consider 1 pound as 3 pounds.
July 23, 2012 11:58:32 PM

s3anister will say anything to make his point sound valid in his mind while totally voiding anything I said simply because it does not fit with what he believes.

120fps gaming > 60fps gaming for FIRST PERSON SHOOTERS ONLINE MULTIPLAYER GAMING

nuff said
July 24, 2012 12:04:37 AM

akamrcrack said:
s3anister will say anything to make his point sound valid in his mind while totally voiding anything I said simply because it does not fit with what he believes.

120fps gaming > 60fps gaming for FIRST PERSON SHOOTERS

nuff said

Generally speaking s3anister has a point, there's no difference once you get past the human body's limits of interpreting FPS.

Though I will have to say that I personally DO notice a VERY small difference getting past 100 FPS on games, it just seems rather fluid to me rather than just getting 70-90 FPS.

Now this may just be my mind playing tricks on me as I only play on 120Hz monitors every once in awhile, but that's just how I see/feel it.
July 24, 2012 12:09:21 AM

mocchan said:
Generally speaking s3anister has a point, there's no difference once you get past the human body's limits of interpreting FPS.

Though I will have to say that I personally DO notice a VERY small difference getting past 100 FPS on games, it just seems rather fluid to me rather than just getting 70-90 FPS.

Now this may just be my mind playing tricks on me as I only play on 120Hz monitors every once in awhile, but that's just how I see/feel it.

Clearly by my post I never said that the body could detect a difference.

Quoted from my above post

Quote:

What I stated is that the PC registers or "sees" a difference the human body cannot. (sorry if such a shitty analogy)

Arguing to me that the body cannot detect it just means he didn't bother to actually read my post. Just the words in it which is why he dogged me for using the pc eyeball analogy because that is his only real argument lol.

I'll try to repeat myself as clearly as possible so as to not confuse any trolls.

120fps gaming isn't for your eyes, its for your gaming experience and your pcs brain.

The average fps gamer is happy with 60fps because that is all he knows/can afford.

The enthusiast gamer/professional fps gamer knows that 60fps is not the ultimate fps gaming experience.

Then again I don't realize that everything I said makes zero sense. Not like I have ever tested any of this before of have had others openly admit to the difference for over 6 years now. Clearly.
July 24, 2012 12:14:45 AM

akamrcrack said:
Clearly by my post I never said that the body could detect a difference.

Quoted from my above post

Quote:

What I stated is that the PC registers or "sees" a difference the human body cannot. (sorry if such a shitty analogy)

Arguing to me that the body cannot detect it just means he didn't bother to actually read my post. Just the words in it which is why he dogged me for using the pc eyeball analogy because that is his only real argument lol.

:lol:  I still understand what you're saying, though.

Either way I'm not against you or s3anister, each of you have a point I agree with.

Your body can't detect any differences past a certain point, but your hardware can. However small that time lag may be for displaying those objects is, I don't know, but it certainly makes a difference in certain cases.
July 24, 2012 12:15:37 AM

get the pc stuff, then wait a bit to get the monitor you want, or vice versa.

Your monitor should be lasting you a long time, it is one thing that is far less likely to go obsolete compared to your other things. Don't sell yourself short on that.

However, gimmicks such as 3d might be something you want to pass on
July 24, 2012 12:17:03 AM

raytseng said:
get the pc stuff, then wait a bit to get the monitor you want, or vice versa.

Your monitor should be lasting you a long time, it is one thing that is far less likely to go obsolete compared to your other things. Don't sell yourself short on that.

However, gimmicks such as 3d might be something you want to pass on

Yes 3D is a gimmick for the most part but 120fps is not :) 
a b C Monitor
July 24, 2012 1:49:26 AM

mocchan said:

You may not be able to detect more than 60 frames a second, however you will be able to detect the added smoothness with more details between fast pace transitions
July 24, 2012 1:55:00 AM

redeemer said:
You may not be able to detect more than 60 frames a second, however you will be able to detect the added smoothness with more details between fast pace transitions

Exactly my point :) 
July 24, 2012 1:57:16 AM

redeemer said:

^_^ I like to compare it to a movie shot in 24fps vs 60fps

When a movie films at 24 frames per second, the action sequences move at such a fast pace that you miss tiny pieces of information that your brain fills in for you because of the reduced frame rate. Now when you film something in 60fps you aren't missing any sequences that may have been 1 frame too fast for 24fps filming. The same thing can be said for the computer's brain comparing 60fps to 120fps. For the most part watching a movie in 24fps is just like your computer playing at 60fps. Its only when you talk about niche benifactors do 60fps for humans eyes watching movies and 120fps for the computers "eyes" watching first person shooters come into play.

<- bored
August 10, 2012 1:37:39 AM

Hi, I am building a gaming PC right now for BF3, CPU/GPU wise I am budgeting for i5-3570K(Evo212 as cooler)+EVGA GTX670FTW.
Do I have enough power for a 120HZ monitor or am I better off with a $300ish IPS?

Currently I am about $230 under budget and can have another 40 by ditching BR burner for DVD burner, if my current set up isn't good enough for 120HZ monitor BF3 can I get there by spending my $230/$270?
August 10, 2012 1:38:48 AM

sherlockwing said:
Hi, I am building a gaming PC right now for BF3, CPU/GPU wise I am budgeting for i5-3570K(Evo212 as cooler)+EVGA GTX670FTW.
Do I have enough power for a 120HZ monitor or am I better off with a $300ish IPS?

Currently I am about $230 under budget and can have another 40 by ditching BR burner for DVD burner, if my current set up isn't good enough for 120HZ monitor BF3 can I get there by spending my $230/$270?

This thread is over two weeks old, please start a thread in the "Systems" section...
a c 128 C Monitor
August 10, 2012 2:23:55 AM

I personally like the idea of getting the Benq over the Samsung due to you having Nvidia, but be aware, the T model does not have the emitter or glasses, so you'd have to get the nvidia 3D vision 2 kit separate.

In most cases, you may not "see" a difference over 60hz, but as someone with a 120hz monitor, I feel a difference at least up to 90 FPS. Things are smoother, and the latency is lower. This results is far less motion sickness. At 30 FPS, I get terrible motion sickness, at 60 FPS I get mild motion sickness, and it completely goes away over 80-90 FPS. This also allows me to have v-sync on and still have snappy motion.

You will also see a difference win making fast turns and tracking targets (a mild one tacking). After getting used to 120hz, when my monitor drops to 60hz, I see it immediately. I actually see slight choppiness in games at 60hz now, but not until I got used to 120hz.

I also find that many games look far better in 3D vision at lowered settings, that at max settings without 3D. Luckily I do not have to make that choice anymore as I have plenty of power with 680's in SLI. Only games like Metro 2033 make me lower settings.

EDIT: damn resurrected posts.
September 4, 2012 7:37:07 AM

Better go buy a GTX 690 before 120 hz monitor.
September 4, 2012 8:25:49 PM

cgner said:
Better go buy a GTX 690 before 120 hz monitor.

670 SLI is good enough for maxing single 120hz for most games, and comes in at only 5% less performance of a 690 (closer if you use custom OC brands) and +$200 cheaper.
September 4, 2012 8:43:00 PM

but GTX690 says u know what u r doing.
September 4, 2012 8:51:15 PM

cgner said:
but GTX690 says u know what u r doing.

GTX670 says so too :sarcastic:  GTX690 if you want the biggest **** on the block :sarcastic: 

And come on guys..this thread is almost two months old now...don't necro.
September 4, 2012 11:12:01 PM

mocchan said:
GTX670 says so too :sarcastic:  GTX690 if you want the biggest **** on the block :sarcastic: 

:lol: 
!