Sign in with
Your question

Power supply making a weird buzzing noise

Last response: in Components
January 25, 2013 1:06:37 PM

Hi, I have recently built a new computer, and my Corsair HX750 PSU is making an odd buzzing noise. It is always on when the power supply is just plugged in, and it is faint, but noticeable. It is not the fan in the power supply, when it is not running the noise is there, but I am not sure what it is. Does anyone have any suggestions for things that I could stop the noise?

Thank you,

A fellow PC builder
January 25, 2013 1:26:22 PM

I have a Cooler Master HAF XM for a case, an ASUS Maximus gene-z/gen3 as a motherboard, a Corsair HX750 as a power supply, a Cooler Master 212+ heat sink, 2 hard drives, 2 optical drives, a GeForce 650 ti as a graphics card, and 8 gb of RAM.
January 25, 2013 10:46:49 PM

I'm not a expert on this, but i'm fairly sure i've read posts suggesting that this is a common issue with this line of PSUs. Hopefully someone can enlighten us on this one...
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
January 25, 2013 11:24:10 PM

riada99 said:
Hi, I have recently built a new computer, and my Corsair HX750 PSU is making an odd buzzing noise. It is always on when the power supply is just plugged in, and it is faint, but noticeable. It is not the fan in the power supply, when it is not running the noise is there, but I am not sure what it is. Does anyone have any suggestions for things that I could stop the noise?

Thank you,

A fellow PC builder

sounds like a bad coil. does the noise increase with more stress on the PSU?
January 26, 2013 12:28:33 AM

dirtyferret said:
sounds like a bad coil. does the noise increase with more stress on the PSU?

No, the noise is constant. The noise is the same volume all of the time no matter what I am doing.

Thank you
a b ) Power supply
January 26, 2013 2:05:03 PM

return the PSU since its new. you can contact corsair through their web site. no need to gamble with the unit since its under warranty.
!