karyn

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
Hello,

I am just switching from dialup to dsl with little knowledge with dsl. However, I would like to have a wireless network connection. I have 3 laptops that I would like to connect to the internet. I don't live in a very big house either. I'd like to know a couple of things:

1) 2 laptops are wireless b/g/n and the other one is b/g. What wireless router would be better for me ? G or N ? If I were to buy N, will that also work with my laptop with b/g ?

2) Do I have to hook up any wire from the router to the modem ?

Thanks

1) 2 laptops are wireless b/g/n and the other one is b/g. What wireless router would be better for me ? G or N ? If I were to buy N, will that also work with my laptop with b/g ?

Get a N-router, they are compatible with b/g

Do I have to hook up any wire from the router to the modem ?

it depends on the equipment you have.
if you have a simple DSL modem, then connect the WAN port of the router to the modem.
if you have a ADSL/router modem (most have four LAN ports) you should configure the router as a AP (Access Point).

How-To Convert a router to an AP:

go Start then Run in XP - (Windows key plus R in Vista and Windows 7), then type in the following, including all the spaces:- cmd /k ipconfig /all -- then press Enter and from the black form that shows up, take a note of the numeric code beside the word "gateway" -- usually something like 192.168.1.1. Type exit to close the black form.

connect only a computer to the router you are trying to convert to a AP and log in

set up the wireless security

disable DHCP and change the LAN IP to match your Gateway's IP but ending in .253

now connect one of the four LAN port to the main router via network cable.

karyn

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
Hello Emerald,

Thank you very much for your response and explanation. I understand how it is now, especially with the modem part.
My isp recommends Speedtouch 516 but there seems to be two kinds of brands with Speedtouch 516, which is Thomson and Gentek. I still don't know which one to get yet. One seems to be a modem/router and the other is a multiuser and I have no idea what the differences are with both.

Thanks for explaining that part to me about the part if the modem were to be a adsl modem/router or just a modem.

Are there any recommendations that you can advise me when it comes to getting a wireless N router ? I see that there are many types and am clueless as to which to get.

One seems to be a modem/router and the other is a multiuser and I have no idea what the differences are with both.

it is the same thing. it has a NAT function and allows multiple devices to connect to the internet at the same time.

I would stay with the big boys Cisco/Linksys, Netgear, or D-Link and get one with 300 Mb wireless.