Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Gaming PC, 1000-1500$

Last response: in Systems
September 11, 2012 7:02:21 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: A week or so. No rush though. Wanna make sure I'm getting a decent system

Budget Range: 1000-1500$

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Recording Video(gaming for Let's plays, etc), Editing video. Web use.

Are you buying a monitor: Not right now, probably for Christmas or so though.

Parts to Upgrade: All parts new. Do not need keyboard/mouse/speakers/monitor.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes (Windows 7 Ultimate)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Location: Lake Charles, LA. Only stores in town are Best Buy(a small version) Walmart, Office Depot.

Parts Preferences: none really.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: current 1680x1050. Would probably upgrade to the next resolution size up, or up to what my new GPU can handle.

Additional Comments: I don't care so much about top of the line graphics and performance, just so as it works well enough to not notice hiccups. But I do care that this PC will last with minimal upgrades. Just as an idea, My current PC is 7 years old, Only thing I changed in it is the video card, which is 4 years old (Geforce 9500 GT) And almost all new games I do have to play on the lowest settings possible. But I can still play them without issues(save 1-2 games) and they still look decent. Only issues I've had are for Diablo 3, it was an FPS crash, had to limit foreground FPS to 45 or lower. Also in Act 2 with the water I have a bit of graphic lag.

Games I'm currenting playing: Guild Wars 2, Deus Ex:Human Revolution, Diablo 3. Gaming I will be playing in the future: X-Com:Enemy Unknown, SimCity, Giana Sisters project(the demo was chugging for me on my current PC, but could be due to demo build. Also might not have had all settings at lowest possible, but I know most were)

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: It's that time. As mentioned, current PC is 7 years old. Also looking towards the future and wanna make sure I can run upcoming games (X-Com Enemy Unknown, the new Sim City, and whatever else catches my fancy)

Here's a wishlist on newegg of what I've selected for my parts (Detailed parts list will be below)
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

I used the guides on this site to get to that list. Few things I'm unsure of though. Is the case big enough? or should be big enough anyway? And the Power Supply. Is it enough? or too much? is that an issue if it is (too much that is)

And a detailed part list:
Spoiler

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Chose this case based off of good reviews. I'm guessing a midsize will work for me. If not will have to change. Also seemed like a cool case with the fans.

ASUS P8H77-V LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

After reading the reviews/guides on this site I settled on the H77 chipset.

EVGA 01G-P3-1561-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready

Again, after reading reviews here and at newegg the GTX 560 Ti seemed to be for me. (Pretty much everything was reading reviews here and at newegg)

CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

This one I got to again as above, but also went looking for 80+ Gold Certified as my minimum starting point.

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT51264BD1339

This is one more thing I'm not 100% on, I may want more just to go ahead and get it. Would probably just double up to 16 gigs. My worry is SimCity. The new one will be pretty hefty as I understand it, every person and car will be simulated and have a "point" to them. IE every person walking on the street is there for a reason, either going to work/home/friends or something. It's more a true simulation(well it isn't a *true* simulation, but a lot more than previous versions), and my experience with simulations are they need RAM (Supreme Command caused me many a crashes due to ram shortage)

Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F90GBGT-BK 2.5" 90GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

SSD for OS and needed files install. Might be bigger than I need, but would rather have a bit extra than cut it close. Again future proofing too.

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

HDD for data.

ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM

Optic Drive. Don't really see the point in going for BluRay player/burner right now. Disks are still a bit pricey, and I don't watch movies on my computer. DVD's hold enough for me.

That's about it I think. To anyone reading and offering opinions, a very big pre-emptive THANK YOU! :D 

More about : gaming 1000 1500

September 11, 2012 7:15:25 AM

I see almost every new builder make the same mistake, and that is putting an unlocked CPU with a locked motherboard, even though he won't OC. Drop the 3570k to a 3450.
m
l
September 11, 2012 7:20:57 AM

I'd get a 3470, change the PSU to a Corsair TX 650, the case to a HAF XM, the GPU to a Gigabyte 7870 and drop the SSD. Not required for a gaming PC, sink the cash saved into the GPU area.
m
l
Related resources
September 11, 2012 7:27:04 AM

No need to drop anything. Keep the SSD but bump it up to 120GB. Same with the GPU to a 670.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
September 11, 2012 8:22:56 AM

You're using an outdated GPU with this type of budget, which is a no-no IMO. I'll make you a parts list :) 

Also, any particular reason why you're using Win7 Ultimate? For most, Win7 Home Premium or even Professional is more than suffice. This may give you more headroom for hardware to make your parts last even longer.
m
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
September 11, 2012 8:29:13 AM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($96.49 @ B&H)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($322.86 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Asus ML228H 21.5" Monitor ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64-bit) ($178.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1372.23
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-11 04:23 EDT-0400)

Beefy CPU+GPU AND a new 1080p monitor for the cost of $1372, well within your budget :) 

If you'd like, we could swap out the Radeon HD7950 for a GTX670 which will yield even more performance to last even longer. However, I'm leaving that up to you, the Radeon HD7950 is a stellar overclocker and it's a proven value for the price point at the moment.

Antec Three Hundred Two > Rosewill Challenger

Better airflow, better cable management, better build quality. However, if you would like something different, there's plenty of options considering there's plenty of budget headroom with and without the monitor.

ASRock Extreme 4 Z77 Motherboard > ASUS P8H77

ASRock Extreme 4 Z77 is a proven value board and will allow you to overclock your i5. The H77 board from ASUS you have chosen won't, so there's really no sense going with a 'k' SKU CPU if you can't even take advantage of it.

TX650V2 > HX850

You won't need 850w of power unless you are planning to SLI GTX680's. Even then, you would have plenty of power left over. Really, for any single-GPU system today, you only need a 550w PSU, however, if you plan to Crossfire/SLI in the future, then I would recommend a 750w PSU.

Radeon HD7950 > GTX560 Ti

The Radeon HD7950 is almost twice as fast as the GTX560 Ti and the 1GB VRAM buffer on the 560 Ti may cripple it in the future. Game requirements are changing and we're seeing most games run better on cards that have at least 2GB. Fear not! The HD7950 has 3GB of VRAM to provide more than enough VRAM for almost any resolution you throw at it.

If you have anymore questions or concerns, please let me know and I'll be more than happy to answer.
September 14, 2012 3:32:22 AM

Thanks the for build. It looks good, can't say I really have an questions/objections on it, so gonna use that.

I do have one question though (not specifically about the build) Is it worth upping the ram to 16gigs? or is that too much overkill.

Also, as far as why I want Ultimate, it's for the language support.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
September 14, 2012 6:09:33 PM

For gaming, no, it's not worth going to 16GB of RAM. If you're going to do heavy photoshopping or video editing, then yes, it's worth it.

And I see why you wanted Ultimate now! :)  I integrated it into the build in the first place (happy I did) :lol: 
m
l
September 14, 2012 9:06:01 PM

Best answer selected by Zembar.
m
l
!