phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I've got a couple of old car stereos (Nakamichi and Soundstream) just sitting around. Would there be anything wrong with using 12 volts from my PC to power one these?

My PC speakers don't have tone controls and I'd like to use one of these units as preamp. Both have line-in and pre-out. My PC speakers are just two channel so surround sound isn't a factor.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 03/28/03 00:53 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
I think it will work even though I haven't try it before. Make sure your PSU has sufficient wattage to power the preamp.

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
It's likely you will encounter a considerable bit of hum and "gut" noise from the computer. The 12v lines in a computer are horridly noisey.

I've tried powering speakers from a drive connector in the past and always I end up hearing every drive seek as a little chirp, the fans make a buzzing sound, the CDRoms make a whishing sound... It's not loud, music easily drowns it out... but it is very annoying when the speakers are on but not in use.

MAny sound cards (you didn't say which you have) have tone controls built into the drivers... take a look at your volume control appy... that little yellow speaker on your task bar... double click it and it should pop up a slider window, then click on Options then Advanced... be sure it's checked. IF there is an Advanced button under the main volume control you should find your tone controls there.... if your sound card has them, that is.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
It's an ancient Turtle Beach card, Tropez (ISA). The software tone controls are greyed out so I assumed the function doesn't exist on my sound card.

I thought about the possibility of noise but these things are designed to run in an automobile. They can filter out ignition noise which must be considerably worse than noise from drive motors, etc.

However, I gave up on the idea of using the car receiver. It's too big (and heavy) to mount inside the case. Too cumbersome to mount outside the case with wires dangling from the power supply. There are also too many adapters needed, mini headphone to RCA and back again plus a gender change.

Thanks for the reply.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 04/12/03 05:24 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

JimmyDean

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
You would have to have a very strong PSU i think to power these. Read on your psu for what it says the amps on 12v. On my old psu it says like .98 A. Those amps just running at 30 watts would probably do about 5 amps.... Bad news

<b><font color=red>Remember kids, if you see a downed power line, suck on the end, candy comes out!</font color=red></b>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Both receivers have 18 watts x 4 channels but I didn't think it would be a problem since no speakers would be connected to the built-in amplifiers hence no or little current draw.

I only wanted to use the preamp function.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>