Hyperthreading in AMD FX CPUs anytime soon?

sjc470

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Does AMD plan to hyper-thread (2 threads per core) it's FX CPUs anytime in the near future? I do 3d animation and this would greatly speed up rendering times. If anyone has any information on this, please drop me a message.
Thanks,
SJC470
sjc470@optonline.net

Hyper-threading is an Intel® technology. While I would guess that it is possible for it to be licensed to them (Just like X86); I don't think that it will happen due to the limited use of it in commonly used applications.

The SMT that is being used on AMD processor is different than hyper-threading.

sjc470

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Thanks for the speedy reply TGH. I checked out the site you gave me but I'm still not sure if the 8 cores in the FX cpu s will produce 8 or 16 rendering threads. If it is clearer to you, would you please drop me another message?

TheGreatHoylando

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
Ah I see, thank you for the heads up. But I think it is the same principle, with the 1 core split in to two logical cores. I suppose without getting into specifics, it would benefit sjc470, on his 3D animation programmes more than a processor without SMT or HT would do. :)

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
The 8 core fx chip will be detected by the latest windows update as a 4 core 8 thread cpu.

It will treat it as a 4 core with HT, but its not HT, its AMD's implementation CMT, wich uses 2 phsyical cores with a shared FPU instead of 2 dispatchers to one core.

TheGreatHoylando

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013

No problem sjc470,
However, I do not believe it can be split into 16 threads, purely as it is already a 8 core CPU, whcih provides more than enough CPU power that it doesnt need to. Whereas the i7 is 4 core, so splits to become 'logical 8'. Here's a quote from a site which may help :)
"However, the Radeon is clearly more proficient at this job than any of the CPUs, and, like most of the processors, the FX-8350 is better off just feeding the Radeon data than trying to help with the computation."

TheGreatHoylando

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
So in conclusion, like the Intel guy said, it doesn't have Hyperthrading as that's an Intel thing, however it does have the SMT which improves the overall efficiency of the CPU. But it will handle 3D design programmes better than most processors as it has an 8 core architecture, therefore doesn't really need to split like the i7

However here is another helpful quote: 'Only the recent Intel CPUs with Hyper-Threading and four (or more) cores are faster.'
Even with 8 cores, the i7 wins over.
So if you have the money I'd go i7 for the real Hyperthreading, but if you don't then an AMD FX 8000 will be able to handle your 3D design programmes more than comfortably on it's 8 cores :)

Regards,
Dan.

sjc470

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Thanks again Dan. I'm a newbie here and I really appreciate the info.
If I might bother you with another question? Do you know which graphics card would best suit my animation purposes (with the fx 8350)and still be good for general computering use?
Steve

Both Intel's HTT and AMD's CMT are forms of SMT, which is laymans terms, allows two or more threads to be executed on a single processor core.

They vary in two key factors: How effective they are (CMT is FAR more effective), and how cheap each is to implement (HTT is FAR cheaper).

TheGreatHoylando

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013

It depends on your budget really, are you in the UK or US? :)

Mr Gaiarsa

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014

If you got the money, go for a GTX 980 or 970 for max performance.
If you don't got muxh money, stick with AMD R9 2xx series.
If you're on a budget, got for a GTX 860/R7 200 series

pjgmaster

Reputable
Dec 19, 2014

Hyperthreading is exclusive to Intel, it is a form of Simultaneous multi-threading.
AMD however, will be introducing their own type of simultaneous multi-threading in The "Zen" cores in the Skybridge from 2016 onwards. From what it looks like, it'll be more diverse and useful than Intel's Hyperthreading SMT. However, we won't know until it is released... I have confidence they have a good chance with this new architecture as they have Jim Keller as the head architect/designer.. If you know who he is, you'll know what I mean :D

TRENDING THREADS