Sign in with
Your question

Do you need a graphics card to play B-D discs?

Last response: in CPUs
January 25, 2013 4:32:49 PM

Hello,
I have a Shuttle PC with Win8 Pro 64bit, Z77, Core i-7 3550 (which includes Intel HD4000 gfx), 16gb ram, no discrete gfx card, and an LG B10 Blu-ray read/writer, bundled with PowerDVD 9. Thing is - says it can't play Blu-ray discs because the graphics driver isn't suitable. Huh? I've updated driver from Intel, but same message. Surely can't be right. I don't want to buy a graphics card, I thought the Intel HD4000 would be fine.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Mike
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2013 9:11:49 PM

Hi

PowerDVD have a diagnostic utility which can tell you what the problem is
bd_advisor.exe on the CD or available for download
(problem usually relating to drivers and DRM (digital rights management)

With my setup on (XP) it said I had to use the VGA (15pin plug) to connect the LCD screen to the Radeon graphics card
(I was using DVI cable which would not play blueray)

Even upgrading Graphics card from X1950 to HD6770 had the same requirement

regards
Mike Barnes
Related resources
January 26, 2013 5:15:09 PM

Paul and Mike -

Thanks for the suggestions guys - but it seems to go from bad to worse!

The B-D advisor on the Cyberlink disc didn't recognise my CPU (Core i7- 3770, btw, not 3550 as per OP - sorry), nor the Intel HD4000 graphics.

Checked on C/Link website and found there's a later version of the B-D Advisor, supporting Windows 8, so I d/loaded and installed that. Took 3 tries, btw, to d/l the 37.42 MB file at 12-15 kB/sec.

Just as the installation finished, I noted a d/l coming in from LG, which installed itself and updated the firmware on the drive, to 10.01.0712.01. Don't know what the original version was - I'd looked but couldn't find it.

Ran the new Advisor - success! my system passed every category, both basic and advanced.
Put my first ever B-D disc in, one of the Prof Brian Cox ones, and got this message -
"You must update C/Link PowerDVD to continue the playback of this content". I clicked on Yes but tbh I can't remember what came up next.

Whatever it was, I did it, re-started PC, opened PowerDVD, box comes up "Loading ..." but almost immediately "Warning playback stopped because graphics card driver is incompatible ...Error Code = 0012, run the B-D Advisor tool for more info".

So I duly ran the advisor again, and the system again passed on every item, both basic and advanced.

Tried to play the disc again, this time I was invited to "update/upgrade" the s/w, so I clicked on the box and got the option of two paid upgrades or a free patch, a 42,548 kB file from C/Link, which I d/loaded and installed.

Started the player again, and once again I got the message "You must update C/L PowerDVD to continue the playback of this content".

Ran the Advisor yet again, this time all the Basic items passed, as before, but on the Advanced tab only 3 of the 6 items passed.
Just tried it again and everything passed - inconsistent or what?

Just fail to see why the disc won't play. CDs and DVDs play fine, btw.

Cyberlink are keen to sell me an upgrade to v.12 for under £30, which is cheap enough, but what's the point when their own tool tells me my system meets their requirements - but only until I try to actually play a Blu-Ray???

Anything else I can try?

February 1, 2013 4:25:45 PM

Well the solution was in my own hands - I stumped up for an upgrade to PowerDVD 12 Ultra - and it works perfectly, all for £29.99.

Pity the suppliers didn't bother to point out that although the LG LH10 Blu-ray burner works with Windows 8, the bundled PowerDVD 9 doesn't - even though it passes every category on the BD diagnostic tool.
February 1, 2013 4:41:38 PM

Mikes48 said:
Well the solution was in my own hands - I stumped up for an upgrade to PowerDVD 12 Ultra - and it works perfectly, all for £29.99.

Pity the suppliers didn't bother to point out that although the LG LH10 Blu-ray burner works with Windows 8, the bundled PowerDVD 9 doesn't - even though it passes every category on the BD diagnostic tool.

There's the problem indeed.
!