Solved

Budget Build Need Opinion!

Hello Tom's Hardware Masters,

Long story short I'm looking to build a budget rig. Main use: Gaming(BadCompany3 etc..) and Photoshop. I will be running it on two 24inch lcd's. Please see my suggestion list below and let me know what are your thoughts... Anything to downgrade,upgrade or any bottlenecks you may see? It's been some time since I've build a rig so I am little bit rusted. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Specs:

CPU:
Intel Core i5-3450 Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz / $149(microcenter) // Possible overclocking in the future, don't think needed at this moment.

MOBO:
GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 / $110

GPU:
MSI R7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC Radeon HD 7950 3GB / $330 // Any thoughts on this one? $330 imo is overkill.

RAM:
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB DDR3 1600(2x4GB) / $FREE comes with mobo

PSU:
Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W / $70

HDD:
Crucial M4 64GB(SSD) OS / $73
WD GREEN 1TB DATA / $FREE currently have one

CASE
Antec Three Hundred Black / $54

DRIVE
LITE ON Drive Bay / $17

BASIC TOTAL: $803 // Live close to Microcenter so I may be able to match the prices from newegg and get additional 10% off. Thank you again for your input.

ketrab
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about budget build opinion
  1. You cant OC that CPU. That said, drop your mobo down to an H77 chipset. I suggest the Asrock H77M.

    $330 isnt overkill. Infact, people buying gaming PCs with a $900-$1000+ budget actually buy $400 cards. Your GPU will be more than enough even for 1080p gaming.
  2. here:

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.99 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($414.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.49 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: Antec 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($56.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $1007.40
  3. 2500K is $149 at MC
  4. Nw333 said:
    You cant OC that CPU. That said, drop your mobo down to an H77 chipset. I suggest the Asrock H77M.

    $330 isnt overkill. Infact, people buying gaming PCs with a $900-$1000+ budget actually buy $400 cards. Your GPU will be more than enough even for 1080p gaming.


    Nw333 thanks for quick reply. Dropping to h77 I will save $40 but I have to buy ram which would come to be the same. Regards CPU i totally forgot about the "k" at the end. What would you think about swapping i5 3450 to Core i5 2500K LGA 1155 which has higher mhz and can be OC in the future?
  5. also what about these two GPU's? Which would perform better?

    MSI R7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC Radeon HD 7950 3GB // $330
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127667

    VS

    EVGA 03G-P4-3663-KR NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti Supe // $349
    http://cart.microcenter.com/cart.aspx?RedirectUrl=http://www.microcenter.com
  6. Best answer
    ketrab said:
    also what about these two GPU's? Which would perform better?

    MSI R7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC Radeon HD 7950 3GB // $330
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127667

    VS

    EVGA 03G-P4-3663-KR NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti Supe // $349
    http://cart.microcenter.com/cart.aspx?RedirectUrl=http://www.microcenter.com


    The 7950 performs better in most games and has more overclocking headroom but the GTX660ti performs a bit better in BF3.
  7. idroid said:
    The 7950 performs better in most games and has more overclocking headroom but the GTX660ti performs a bit better in BF3.


    bit better.... meaning what difference in fps? Any supporting articles?
  8. ketrab said:
    bit better.... meaning what difference in fps? Any supporting articles?








  9. idroid, you are the best thx...but since more overclocking headroom with radeon i know who is the winner.
  10. ketrab said:
    idroid, you are the best thx...but since more overclocking headroom with radeon i know who is the winner.

    i am glad i helped you! if you have no further questions then you should select a best answer to close this thread.
  11. http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/08/23/galaxy_gtx_660_ti_gc_oc_vs_670_hd_7950/3

    The 7950 is definitely the best choice on a price/performance basis.
  12. Best answer selected by ketrab.
  13. forgot to ask how BF3 will work on this configuration? Will it be able to run on ULTRA with all eye candies?
  14. ketrab said:
    forgot to ask how BF3 will work on this configuration? Will it be able to run on ULTRA with all eye candies?


    Yep!
  15. idroid said:
    Yep!


    made my day :)
  16. Ok,

    So I have my seconds thoughts and I wish you guys could help me out....I just configured the second build with the difference of $160. Please let me know what you think.


    New Specs:
    Intel Core i5-3570K / COOLER MASTER Hyper 212
    GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68
    GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5
    CORSAIR XMS 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
    CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W
    Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA

    old specs for ref:

    Specs:

    CPU:
    Intel Core i5-3450 Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz / $149(microcenter) // Possible overclocking in the future, don't think needed at this moment.

    MOBO:
    GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 / $110

    GPU:
    MSI R7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC Radeon HD 7950 3GB / $330 // Any thoughts on this one? $330 imo is overkill.

    RAM:
    G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB DDR3 1600(2x4GB) / $FREE comes with mobo

    PSU:
    Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W / $70

    HDD:
    Crucial M4 64GB(SSD) OS / $73
    WD GREEN 1TB DATA / $FREE currently have one

    CASE
    Antec Three Hundred Black / $54

    DRIVE
    LITE ON Drive Bay / $17
  17. ketrab said:
    Ok,

    So I have my seconds thoughts and I wish you guys could help me out....I just configured the second build with the difference of $160. Please let me know what you think.


    New Specs:
    Intel Core i5-3570K / COOLER MASTER Hyper 212
    GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68
    GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5
    CORSAIR XMS 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
    CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W
    Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA

    old specs for ref:

    Specs:

    CPU:
    Intel Core i5-3450 Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz / $149(microcenter) // Possible overclocking in the future, don't think needed at this moment.

    MOBO:
    GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 / $110

    GPU:
    MSI R7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC Radeon HD 7950 3GB / $330 // Any thoughts on this one? $330 imo is overkill.

    RAM:
    G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB DDR3 1600(2x4GB) / $FREE comes with mobo

    PSU:
    Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W / $70

    HDD:
    Crucial M4 64GB(SSD) OS / $73
    WD GREEN 1TB DATA / $FREE currently have one

    CASE
    Antec Three Hundred Black / $54

    DRIVE
    LITE ON Drive Bay / $17


    *don't get a Z68 motherboard with a 3570k CPU, you need a Z77 motherboard.
    *that ram isn't very good, get a G.skill ares kit a low profile Corsair vengeance kit
    *get a smaller or bigger PSU, either a 550w or 750w because you will not be able to SLI later with a 650w PSU.
    *no one in this forum recommends the Crucial m4 anymore.... get a Samsung 830 or a Vertex 4
    *at that price range you can get a better case like the Rosewill Challenger.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems Product