Why does LucidLogix claim to "support" so many games?

Jonathanese

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
I'm running a Geforce 9800GTX+ alongside an i5 3570K on a P8Z77-V LK motherboard, and I figured I would give "Virtu" a test spin. And frankly, I don't think it's even ready for release.

The first thing I noticed was a phenomenal speed boost in 3Dmark06 From 17000 to 27000. This seemed like good news at first, then I tried other games that LucidLogix claims to "support".

UT3-Only works as long as there are no extras like Antialiasing.

Portal 2- Only works without AA

Crysis- everything is an incoherent jumbled mesh of triangles running at 5 FPS

Crysis 2- The game seems to run, but it's hard to tell behind the 30Hz flashing of a locked up main menu. Odd, considering there is a video of someone playing it on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pByzeZ27P8

WOrse yet, I can't use Subpixel Morphological anti-aliasing on anything whatsoever. There's much more benefit to using SMAA instead of Virtu.

Could I just have it configured wrong?
Why did they even release software that is so sketchy at best?

Jonathanese

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
"Virtu is for onboard graphics.. Onboard graphics is onboard graphics..."

Correction, it is for iGPUs, to better utilize the iGPU when runnin a descrete card (rather than leaving the iGPU idle).

Virtu's premise is based entirely around running a dedicated GPU alongside Ivy or Sandy's iGPUs.

akamrcrack

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012

Ah well first time I have heard this explained as such ;3

Virtu is far more complicated than these simple explanations and you'd really need to spend time reading. People really shouldn't bother responding with incorrect answers like "Virtu is for onboard graphics" if they obviously know little about the subject.

There are also different versions of Virtu. The most advanced is "Virtu MVP".
http://www.lucidlogix.com/product-virtu-mvp.shtml

The benefit of Virtu MVP varies from game to game. Some will benefit, some will not, and some will perform worse.

As it stands today, the general consensus is that it's not quite ready for gaming but there have been some incredible gains in some games. Unfortunately, it's my understanding that you have to REBOOT to enable or disable the service.

Virtu is getting close though. I'm also not sure if a future driver update will swing the service to the point where it's better to use than nought.

*Again, Virtu MVP is the advanced version of Virtu and has gaming features the others do not.

akamrcrack

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012

Remove stick from buttox, I was just bored. Like now.

I believe you have seen the point of it so far. A lot of people are swayed in buying decisions like which motherboard to buy based on headline 3Dmark scores. If you can include this info on your motherboard advertising then it helps sales.

That aside, I do believe they are making a serious effort to use this technology for what they are claiming it actually does. Most things like this take a few versions to get up to speed.
Remember just because it says it supports it dosent mean it will actually work. It really should mean that but unfortunately in the computer world all that means is that most things wont flat out not work.
Vista capable was one recent example sure the hardware was capable of running Vista just not properly.

The advice from most decent tech sites is that it dosent do anything worth the effort of actually bothering to install it. So don't

Mactronix :)