Warlock Weapon Confusion

Last response: in Video Games
Share
September 13, 2005 9:51:30 AM

In my Warlock (Lvl32) talents book thingy I have an icon labelled
something like one handed Axe but I can't find any info about my Orc
Warlock even being able to use an Axe, I can use one handed swords
though.
What is the story with this, is this something I can train in??

Also as far as weapons go, should I ditch the staves and carry a faster
one handed sword and something stat boosting in my off-hand and
concentrate on magic as I generally don't get up close and personal
anyway and when i do, it is slow and not so powerful.

Thanks guys.

Damon
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 11:39:30 AM

Simon Nejmann wrote:
> On 13 Sep 2005 05:51:30 -0700, "Damon" <google@dshawcross.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
> >In my Warlock (Lvl32) talents book thingy I have an icon labelled
> >something like one handed Axe but I can't find any info about my Orc
> >Warlock even being able to use an Axe, I can use one handed swords
> >though.
> >What is the story with this, is this something I can train in??
>
> Generally a warlock should not melee - ok, if your target is down to
> 5% health and you want to save mana, then go ahead and beat it over
> the head - but your main weapon is and will always be your magic
> attacks.

Since the change/fix to wands... getting rid of the artificial 1 second
cooldown so they actually do exactly the DPS they say..., Wands are way
better than melee weapons when you're Warlock is low on mana. Doesn't
hurt that one of the best Wands in the entire game is a quest reward
too (Stormrager 62.7 DPS plus stats).

> That said, a staff has no inherent benefit over a sword, or the other
> way around for that matter.

True, except in practice (not theory) Staves almost always have better
stat totals than what you can get from Dagger/Sword+Offhand. My Warlock
did carry the Hypnotic Dagger + Jade Orb for a while in his 40's. And I
certainly wouldn't turn down the Gift Of The Elen Magi if I got it.
BUT, for Horde, just make sure you get:

=> Crescent Staff (from Wailing Caverns)
=> Illusionary Rod (from Scarlet Monastary)
=> Rod of the Ogre Magi (from Dire Maul)

And you almost don't have to worry about any other weapons until you're
60.
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 12:23:15 PM

"Damon" <google@dshawcross.co.uk> wrote in message
> In my Warlock (Lvl32) talents book thingy I have an icon labelled
> something like one handed Axe but I can't find any info about my Orc
> Warlock even being able to use an Axe, I can use one handed swords
> though.
> What is the story with this, is this something I can train in??
>
> Also as far as weapons go, should I ditch the staves and carry a faster
> one handed sword and something stat boosting in my off-hand and
> concentrate on magic as I generally don't get up close and personal
> anyway and when i do, it is slow and not so powerful.
>
> Thanks guys.
>
> Damon

Orcs have axes on their racial abilities, and have a bonus to 1 and 2 handed
axes. As a warlock, you can not use axes, so can not use the racial
ability. Just as Orcs also have a pet bonus, which is useless to classes
that have no pets.

As for the second question, I think you answered it yourself. If you dont
ever melee, you should just go for pure stats on your weapons/offhand items.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 1:00:33 PM

I upgraded from the illusionary rod to a hypnotic dagger plus an off
hand rod (I don't recall the name). The combination results in a few
more +INT.
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 6:58:50 PM

In <1126622370.325310.260930@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>, gaf1234567890 <gaf1234567890@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> That said, a staff has no inherent benefit over a sword, or the other
>> way around for that matter.

> True, except in practice (not theory) Staves almost always have better
> stat totals than what you can get from Dagger/Sword+Offhand. My Warlock
> did carry the Hypnotic Dagger + Jade Orb for a while in his 40's. And I
> certainly wouldn't turn down the Gift Of The Elen Magi if I got it.
> BUT, for Horde, just make sure you get:
>
>=> Crescent Staff (from Wailing Caverns)
>=> Illusionary Rod (from Scarlet Monastary)
>=> Rod of the Ogre Magi (from Dire Maul)

> And you almost don't have to worry about any other weapons until you're
> 60.

I am (at level 47) still using Illusionary Rod (11 levels now), and I
have seen *nothing* that comes close in stats.

As a warlock, we have spell- and firestones, though, which have to be
used in offhand:

http://www.thottbot.com/?i=23292
http://www.thottbot.com/?i=14466

(there are lower levels)

Are these worth using in PvE at all?

I've seen some videos of a PVP warlock who used one, but PVP isn't my
strong point anyway.
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 7:41:39 PM

wrote:

>In my Warlock (Lvl32) talents book thingy I have an icon labelled
>something like one handed Axe but I can't find any info about my Orc
>Warlock even being able to use an Axe, I can use one handed swords
>though.
>What is the story with this, is this something I can train in??

What you can see is the orc racial "Axe Specialization (+5 to Axe
skill)", and no your warlock does not and cannot get any benefit from
it. Similar to this orcs also get the racial "Command (Pet melee
damage increased by 5%)" which is useless to every class but hunter
and warlock.

>Also as far as weapons go, should I ditch the staves and carry a faster
>one handed sword and something stat boosting in my off-hand and
>concentrate on magic as I generally don't get up close and personal
>anyway and when i do, it is slow and not so powerful.

Generally a warlock should not melee - ok, if your target is down to
5% health and you want to save mana, then go ahead and beat it over
the head - but your main weapon is and will always be your magic
attacks.

That said, a staff has no inherent benefit over a sword, or the other
way around for that matter. In short, the type of weapon does not
really matter (except that eg. priests can't use swords and warlocks
can't use maces), it is all about the stats on them. Also remember
that when you compare a two-hander with a one-hander the latter can
also hold something in the off hand.

For example, at the moment just about the best you can do as a warlock
in terms of end game weapons is either:

Azuresong Mageblade <http://www.thottbot.com/?i=37329&gt;
plus
Fire Runed Grimoire <http://www.thottbot.com/?i=40360&gt;.

Or
Staff of Dominance <http://www.thottbot.com/?i=37319&gt;.

With the Azuresong combo being just slightly better (more sta+damage,
less int+spirit).

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

In <1126627233.036225.197660@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> "Alex Mars" <Soulclaw@gmail.com> writes:

> I upgraded from the illusionary rod to a hypnotic dagger plus an off
> hand rod (I don't recall the name). The combination results in a few
> more +INT.

With the new +22 int enchantment, I would think that makes 1h + offhand
combos even more appealing.

--
John Gordon "It's certainly uncontaminated by cheese."
gordon@panix.com