Warlock Weapon Confusion

In my Warlock (Lvl32) talents book thingy I have an icon labelled
something like one handed Axe but I can't find any info about my Orc
Warlock even being able to use an Axe, I can use one handed swords
though.
What is the story with this, is this something I can train in??

Also as far as weapons go, should I ditch the staves and carry a faster
one handed sword and something stat boosting in my off-hand and
concentrate on magic as I generally don't get up close and personal
anyway and when i do, it is slow and not so powerful.

Thanks guys.

Damon
6 answers Last reply
More about warlock weapon confusion

    Simon Nejmann wrote:
    > On 13 Sep 2005 05:51:30 -0700, "Damon" <google@dshawcross.co.uk>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In my Warlock (Lvl32) talents book thingy I have an icon labelled
    > >something like one handed Axe but I can't find any info about my Orc
    > >Warlock even being able to use an Axe, I can use one handed swords
    > >though.
    > >What is the story with this, is this something I can train in??
    >
    > Generally a warlock should not melee - ok, if your target is down to
    > 5% health and you want to save mana, then go ahead and beat it over
    > the head - but your main weapon is and will always be your magic
    > attacks.

    Since the change/fix to wands... getting rid of the artificial 1 second
    cooldown so they actually do exactly the DPS they say..., Wands are way
    better than melee weapons when you're Warlock is low on mana. Doesn't
    hurt that one of the best Wands in the entire game is a quest reward
    too (Stormrager 62.7 DPS plus stats).

    > That said, a staff has no inherent benefit over a sword, or the other
    > way around for that matter.

    True, except in practice (not theory) Staves almost always have better
    stat totals than what you can get from Dagger/Sword+Offhand. My Warlock
    did carry the Hypnotic Dagger + Jade Orb for a while in his 40's. And I
    certainly wouldn't turn down the Gift Of The Elen Magi if I got it.
    BUT, for Horde, just make sure you get:

    => Crescent Staff (from Wailing Caverns)
    => Illusionary Rod (from Scarlet Monastary)
    => Rod of the Ogre Magi (from Dire Maul)

    And you almost don't have to worry about any other weapons until you're
    60.

    "Damon" <google@dshawcross.co.uk> wrote in message
    > In my Warlock (Lvl32) talents book thingy I have an icon labelled
    > something like one handed Axe but I can't find any info about my Orc
    > Warlock even being able to use an Axe, I can use one handed swords
    > though.
    > What is the story with this, is this something I can train in??
    >
    > Also as far as weapons go, should I ditch the staves and carry a faster
    > one handed sword and something stat boosting in my off-hand and
    > concentrate on magic as I generally don't get up close and personal
    > anyway and when i do, it is slow and not so powerful.
    >
    > Thanks guys.
    >
    > Damon

    Orcs have axes on their racial abilities, and have a bonus to 1 and 2 handed
    axes. As a warlock, you can not use axes, so can not use the racial
    ability. Just as Orcs also have a pet bonus, which is useless to classes
    that have no pets.

    As for the second question, I think you answered it yourself. If you dont
    ever melee, you should just go for pure stats on your weapons/offhand items.

    I upgraded from the illusionary rod to a hypnotic dagger plus an off
    hand rod (I don't recall the name). The combination results in a few
    more +INT.

    In <1126622370.325310.260930@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>, gaf1234567890 <gaf1234567890@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >> That said, a staff has no inherent benefit over a sword, or the other
    >> way around for that matter.

    > True, except in practice (not theory) Staves almost always have better
    > stat totals than what you can get from Dagger/Sword+Offhand. My Warlock
    > did carry the Hypnotic Dagger + Jade Orb for a while in his 40's. And I
    > certainly wouldn't turn down the Gift Of The Elen Magi if I got it.
    > BUT, for Horde, just make sure you get:
    >
    >=> Crescent Staff (from Wailing Caverns)
    >=> Illusionary Rod (from Scarlet Monastary)
    >=> Rod of the Ogre Magi (from Dire Maul)

    > And you almost don't have to worry about any other weapons until you're
    > 60.

    I am (at level 47) still using Illusionary Rod (11 levels now), and I
    have seen *nothing* that comes close in stats.

    As a warlock, we have spell- and firestones, though, which have to be
    used in offhand:

    http://www.thottbot.com/?i=23292
    http://www.thottbot.com/?i=14466

    (there are lower levels)

    Are these worth using in PvE at all?

    I've seen some videos of a PVP warlock who used one, but PVP isn't my
    strong point anyway.

    wrote:

    >In my Warlock (Lvl32) talents book thingy I have an icon labelled
    >something like one handed Axe but I can't find any info about my Orc
    >Warlock even being able to use an Axe, I can use one handed swords
    >though.
    >What is the story with this, is this something I can train in??

    What you can see is the orc racial "Axe Specialization (+5 to Axe
    skill)", and no your warlock does not and cannot get any benefit from
    it. Similar to this orcs also get the racial "Command (Pet melee
    damage increased by 5%)" which is useless to every class but hunter
    and warlock.

    >Also as far as weapons go, should I ditch the staves and carry a faster
    >one handed sword and something stat boosting in my off-hand and
    >concentrate on magic as I generally don't get up close and personal
    >anyway and when i do, it is slow and not so powerful.

    Generally a warlock should not melee - ok, if your target is down to
    5% health and you want to save mana, then go ahead and beat it over
    the head - but your main weapon is and will always be your magic
    attacks.

    That said, a staff has no inherent benefit over a sword, or the other
    way around for that matter. In short, the type of weapon does not
    really matter (except that eg. priests can't use swords and warlocks
    can't use maces), it is all about the stats on them. Also remember
    that when you compare a two-hander with a one-hander the latter can
    also hold something in the off hand.

    For example, at the moment just about the best you can do as a warlock
    in terms of end game weapons is either:

    Azuresong Mageblade <http://www.thottbot.com/?i=37329>
    plus
    Fire Runed Grimoire <http://www.thottbot.com/?i=40360>.

    Or
    Staff of Dominance <http://www.thottbot.com/?i=37319>.

    With the Azuresong combo being just slightly better (more sta+damage,
    less int+spirit).

    --
    Regards
    Simon Nejmann

    In <1126627233.036225.197660@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> "Alex Mars" <Soulclaw@gmail.com> writes:

    > I upgraded from the illusionary rod to a hypnotic dagger plus an off
    > hand rod (I don't recall the name). The combination results in a few
    > more +INT.

    With the new +22 int enchantment, I would think that makes 1h + offhand
    combos even more appealing.

    --
    John Gordon "It's certainly uncontaminated by cheese."
    gordon@panix.com

Warcraft Video Games