Sign in with
Your question

How likely is an electrical short to damage components?

Last response: in Systems
September 11, 2012 2:38:06 PM

My recent first build I accidentally installed motherboard in without standoffs therefore I believe it shorted it because when trying to turn on it just shut back off in a second.

So I am wondering, once I reinstall with standoffs and everything how likely would it be that my Motherboard could be damaged or any other components as well?

Are the chances of electrical short damaging components not high?
September 11, 2012 2:40:04 PM

It's possible that the short has damaged the motherboard, although it may fire up perfectly once you put the stand-off in (I'm curious though, did you just screw it directly into the stand-off holes?)

You PSU, depending on its quality, will protect the rest of your components from a short...if it's from a manufacturer such as Corsair, you're likely to be OK. So the chances are there, but can be mitigated by a decent PSU.

Going forward, make sure you get a surge protector for your system...don't plug your PC straight into the mains. A UPS may also be an idea, although I don't personally use one myself (depends on your area, really).
m
l
September 11, 2012 2:46:27 PM

diellur said:
It's possible that the short has damaged the motherboard, although it may fire up perfectly once you put the stand-off in (I'm curious though, did you just screw it directly into the stand-off holes?)

You PSU, depending on its quality, will protect the rest of your components from a short...if it's from a manufacturer such as Corsair, you're likely to be OK. So the chances are there, but can be mitigated by a decent PSU.

Going forward, make sure you get a surge protector for your system...don't plug your PC straight into the mains. A UPS may also be an idea, although I don't personally use one myself (depends on your area, really).

Yes I did just screw the mobo in the standoff holes, would this be any huge deal though? I've tried about 3 boots which turned off in a second so I just stopped trying after that. Could the motherboard be damaged a lot ,or is it nothing serious after I reinstall it with standoffs?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
September 11, 2012 2:48:11 PM

Your probably triggered protection circuits and avoided damage. You'll know when you install the standoffs.
m
l
September 11, 2012 3:22:59 PM

you never know. My bro in law did the same thing. when he installed the stand offs, everything worked perfectly for a month or 2. one day a puff of smoke fisseled from his motherboard. he replaced the motherboard and everything worked fine afterwards. they might have been related, and it might not have been. The overcurrent protection should mitigate immediate damage, but when you exceed the rating of any component, which you will surely do if overcurrent protection picks up, you shorten the life of that component.
m
l
!