Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrading front panel USB on a chassis.

Last response: in Components
a b ) Power supply
January 25, 2013 6:13:41 PM

Is it unreasonable to attempt a USB 2.0 to USB 3.0 header replacement on a computer case? For example, if I were to purchase a chassis with only front panel USB 2.0 and also purchase standalone USB 3.0 headers ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ) is there a standard procedure for installing them?

Best solution

January 25, 2013 6:19:58 PM

Those headers don't look like they would fit terribly easily. You would probably have to drill little screw holes to either side, and it might be a real pain in the arse to strip down the case enough to access the headers from the inside. That being said, it isn't rocket science, and definitely doable.
a b ) Power supply
January 25, 2013 6:33:00 PM

I have worked with enough cases to know that they use different mounting methods depending on the manufacturer. Maybe I can strip the default mounts off of this and try my best to use the existing case affixment.

I ask there because there are a lot of great cases made before USB 3.0 became a standard. It would be a shame to overlook these designs just because a front I/O port is slightly outdated.
Related resources
January 25, 2013 6:43:06 PM

Yeah, I totally see where you're coming from. It's definitely worth a shot, especially if the case isn't terribly expensive. What did you have in mind?
a b ) Power supply
January 25, 2013 8:09:11 PM

The Fractal Design Core 1000 and 3000 series cases are perfect for my minimalistic take on builds. There are also a few from Raidmax and Apevia that I'm looking at with the same problem. And the Core 1000 is only $40 USD so I wouldn't feel too bad hacking it apart.
a b ) Power supply
January 27, 2013 11:47:31 PM

Best answer selected by anxiousinfusion.
!