Can't figure out why my GFX card crashes

Wufang9

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Okay, sry for another repost but I have new information and didn't get a lot of answers the first time around.

So I have an old computer and was trying to get the most out of it by buying a used Palit 8800 GT Super + 1GB a while ago for $20 bucks replacing my old 9500gt. But whenever I play any games such as Tribes Ascend or Batman Arkham on higher graphics (Max res. 1336x768) my screen freezes and my gfx card crashes and I don't know why. I've now run FurMark for 20 minutes w/ no crash and run multiple passes of memtest86 with no errors.

Full Specs:
MoBo: Asus M2N-SLI
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
RAM: 6 GB
GFX: Palit 8800 GT Super+ 1GB
PSU: Corsair TX650 (Brand new just got this in case I ever wanted to build a new comp down the line)

It's definitely getting enough power and the temp doesn't seem high enough to justify the crash especially b/c it sometimes happens a minute into playing the game. It's only when I go on high settings it seems. Any suggestions? Please and thank you.

My graphics drivers are also up to date.

Wufang9

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012

They were originally high but now I've disabled physx (again) and lowered the graphics to normal settings at the same resolution but it still crashes. I'll try a lower res.

El Tigre

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
First, check to see if the card is dusty, that can cause it to overheat which leads to crashes and other funny behavior. If it is indeed dusty, clean it with one of those compressed air in a can. Make sure there is no dust on the fans, pretty much the entire card.

You can also try reinstalling the GPU driver.

Download Driver sweeper, then uninstall the driver using Driver Sweeper. Then reboot your computer and install the latest driver for your GPU.

You can also run a memtest to test the integrity of your RAM. Also a BIOS reset would not hurt either.

Wufang9

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012

I put it in recently and can tell you that it definitely isn't dusty or overheating based on my past MSI afterburner tests and the furmark burn in. I already resinstalled the GPU driver using the new Driver Sweeper known as Driver Fusion(?) And like I said I already ran a memtest and it passed each time. It only happens when I run certain games.

Wufang9

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012

Just ran the game at 1280*720 at medium settings and got a crash 20 seconds in. Sigh, I just wanted to play some games after the steam sale and etc. I currently don't have enough money to even consider building a new computer. If you can help solve this issue I'd be grateful. Thanks

Wufang9

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
I just reinstalled my old gfx card and am playing on lower settings for the framerate. Looks like the 8800 was just a crap card. What a shame. Thanks for the help anyways.