Sign in with
Your question

Can't figure out why my GFX card crashes

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 24, 2012 3:53:55 AM

Okay, sry for another repost but I have new information and didn't get a lot of answers the first time around.

So I have an old computer and was trying to get the most out of it by buying a used Palit 8800 GT Super + 1GB a while ago for $20 bucks replacing my old 9500gt. But whenever I play any games such as Tribes Ascend or Batman Arkham on higher graphics (Max res. 1336x768) my screen freezes and my gfx card crashes and I don't know why. I've now run FurMark for 20 minutes w/ no crash and run multiple passes of memtest86 with no errors.

Full Specs:
MoBo: Asus M2N-SLI
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
RAM: 6 GB
GFX: Palit 8800 GT Super+ 1GB
PSU: Corsair TX650 (Brand new just got this in case I ever wanted to build a new comp down the line)

It's definitely getting enough power and the temp doesn't seem high enough to justify the crash especially b/c it sometimes happens a minute into playing the game. It's only when I go on high settings it seems. Any suggestions? Please and thank you.

My graphics drivers are also up to date.
a c 99 U Graphics card
July 24, 2012 5:39:22 AM

What are your graphic settings? Low, medium, or high? Also, you are only playing on 1366x768?

Try lower graphic settings and not change the resolution. See if the problem continues.
m
l
July 24, 2012 6:13:38 AM

fantastik250 said:
What are your graphic settings? Low, medium, or high? Also, you are only playing on 1366x768?

Try lower graphic settings and not change the resolution. See if the problem continues.

They were originally high but now I've disabled physx (again) and lowered the graphics to normal settings at the same resolution but it still crashes. I'll try a lower res.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 24, 2012 6:17:32 AM

First, check to see if the card is dusty, that can cause it to overheat which leads to crashes and other funny behavior. If it is indeed dusty, clean it with one of those compressed air in a can. Make sure there is no dust on the fans, pretty much the entire card.

You can also try reinstalling the GPU driver.

Download Driver sweeper, then uninstall the driver using Driver Sweeper. Then reboot your computer and install the latest driver for your GPU.

You can also run a memtest to test the integrity of your RAM. Also a BIOS reset would not hurt either.
m
l
July 24, 2012 6:23:46 AM

El Tigre said:
First, check to see if the card is dusty, that can cause it to overheat which leads to crashes and other funny behavior. If it is indeed dusty, clean it with one of those compressed air in a can. Make sure there is no dust on the fans, pretty much the entire card.

You can also try reinstalling the GPU driver.

Download Driver sweeper, then uninstall the driver using Driver Sweeper. Then reboot your computer and install the latest driver for your GPU.

You can also run a memtest to test the integrity of your RAM. Also a BIOS reset would not hurt either.

I put it in recently and can tell you that it definitely isn't dusty or overheating based on my past MSI afterburner tests and the furmark burn in. I already resinstalled the GPU driver using the new Driver Sweeper known as Driver Fusion(?) And like I said I already ran a memtest and it passed each time. It only happens when I run certain games.
m
l
July 24, 2012 6:25:51 AM

fantastik250 said:

Just ran the game at 1280*720 at medium settings and got a crash 20 seconds in. Sigh, I just wanted to play some games after the steam sale and etc. I currently don't have enough money to even consider building a new computer. If you can help solve this issue I'd be grateful. Thanks
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 24, 2012 6:29:39 AM

If you tried everything we suggested, you can back up your data and reinstall Windows to start fresh.
m
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
July 24, 2012 6:43:43 AM

reinstalling operating system isn't the answer.

does the old card work ?............

used cards/sometimes bad cards.

check monitor refresh rate.

pull heat sink and reapply thermal paste.

try really old drivers..... like shortly after the card was released.
m
l
a c 99 U Graphics card
July 24, 2012 7:11:00 AM

Do you have another PCI-E slot you can try?

Also, try rolling back drivers as swifty has mentioned. How long have you had this issue? Ever since you got the card?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 24, 2012 7:13:55 AM

If the OP has Win 7, the drivers from the time this card was released won't work. Try running Furmark burn in for at least an hr and monitor the temps and such.
m
l
July 24, 2012 5:31:01 PM

I just reinstalled my old gfx card and am playing on lower settings for the framerate. Looks like the 8800 was just a crap card. What a shame. Thanks for the help anyways.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
July 24, 2012 5:51:12 PM

Is the card physically clean? Never rely on furmark for testing purposes, games are better for testing how stable a card is. Beyond that buying used cards is always a gamble and have lost out my self.
m
l
!