Sign in with
Your question
Closed

SLI not working with PNY GTX560/EVGA GTX560

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 24, 2012 4:14:36 AM

Hello There!

I'm having trouble enabling SLI with a pair of GTX 560's. One is a PNY with 1GB of RAM, the other is an EVGA with 2GB of RAM - same memory/GPU speeds. To date, I've tried the following, and still no SLI option in the nVidia Control Panel.

-Reinstalled the driver software, completely clean, with updated drivers, using this guide: http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?high=&m=1174372&mpag...
-Flipped the SLI bridge
-Flashed BIOS
-Updated all Motherboard drivers
-Made sure to only connect video connectors to the top graphics card

The board is an MSI Z77A-G45, and the power supply is a Corsair SilentPro M 700W.

Any suggestions, would be most welcome!
July 24, 2012 11:50:28 AM

vertical777 said:
hate to break it to you but I don't think your motherboard supports SLI

edit: here have a look at your board's specs

I'm not entirely sure that's true, even though it's coming from the SLI site. The motherboard manual says that the board supports both SLI and Crossfire, and has both badges stickered on the box. The board also came with an SLI bridge.
Score
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
July 24, 2012 12:43:05 PM

based on the spec list on MSI own site they said the board does not support SLI. i think it is better for you to check back from the place where you get your mobo. there is a way to make non-SLi certified to run SLI which require some hacking to be done but if you don't like the hassle just replace yours with SLI certified one. on another note combining cards with 1GB RAM with 2GB RAM does not equal to having 3GB of graphic RAM. the system will still detects the system to have 1GB of RAM for gpu (1GB per gpu) which means another GB on the second card will be wasted. this is true for both SLI and CF setups
Score
July 24, 2012 1:37:57 PM

You cant SLI video-cards with different amount of VRAM. Meaning, either you get GTX 560 1 GB + GTX 560 1 GB OR GTX 560 2 GB + GTX 560 2 GB
Score
July 24, 2012 1:46:04 PM

centaurius said:
You cant SLI video-cards with different amount of VRAM. Meaning, either you get GTX 560 1 GB + GTX 560 1 GB OR GTX 560 2 GB + GTX 560 2 GB

yes you can...
VRAM has nothing to do with the SLi interface and compatibility..
Score
July 24, 2012 1:47:57 PM

renz496 said:
based on the spec list on MSI own site they said the board does not support SLI. i think it is better for you to check back from the place where you get your mobo. there is a way to make non-SLi certified to run SLI which require some hacking to be done but if you don't like the hassle just replace yours with SLI certified one. on another note combining cards with 1GB RAM with 2GB RAM does not equal to having 3GB of graphic RAM. the system will still detects the system to have 1GB of RAM for gpu (1GB per gpu) which means another GB on the second card will be wasted. this is true for both SLI and CF setups

+1
it's a Crossfire ONLY motherboard.
Score
July 24, 2012 1:49:25 PM

mangar said:
I'm not entirely sure that's true, even though it's coming from the SLI site. The motherboard manual says that the board supports both SLI and Crossfire, and has both badges stickered on the box. The board also came with an SLI bridge.

your looking at the wrong version....
no SLi.

the motherboard just isn't that good of a model, you picked the wrong one.
sorry.

Quote:
You could do the SLi hack..

you can use hacked drivers but @ 16/x4 it's a waste of time.

Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
July 24, 2012 1:52:54 PM

mangar said:

This is the bit that gets me, OP double check the ID of that motherboard please.
Score
July 24, 2012 1:54:13 PM

These are my actual board specs; SLI supported: http://us.msi.com/product/mb/Z77A-G45.html#/?div=Basic. The only concern now, is whether or not I can use the same GPU's, with different memory buffers. I'm getting conflicting information from the internets - some people say that it should not be a problem, some people say it should. Thanks for your help, guys. I appreciate it.
Score
July 24, 2012 2:01:26 PM

Verbal says:

1.) no SLi unless you use hacked drivers.
2.) x16/x4 = FAIL anyways
3.) new/different motherboard..
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
July 24, 2012 2:13:06 PM

Time to look at those cards, what are they exactly? GPUz specs please.
Score

Best solution

July 30, 2012 3:56:53 PM

verbalizer said:
yes you can...
VRAM has nothing to do with the SLi interface and compatibility..

Please take a moment to read this:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/245454-15-crossfire...
July 30, 2012 4:04:22 PM

centaurius said:
Please take a moment to read this:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/245454-15-crossfire...

you do realize that I'm all over that thread right.?!
I even did some mass edits towards the end for 'Mazir' moderator and thread starter..
so please take a moment and go through THE ENTIRE thread.

thanks.
Score
July 30, 2012 4:05:51 PM

:pfff: 
kids.! WTH.?
Score
a c 412 Î Nvidia
July 30, 2012 6:06:27 PM

This one says the motherboard is not SLI certified. You need to get specific with the exact revision version and serial ID of the motherboard.
http://msi.com/product/mb/Z77A-G45.html#/?div=Basic

Then take a close look at your GPU's to make sure you're not mixing Ti's with non-Ti's, 256-bit with 192-bit, etc. Make sure the GPU's match up. My understanding is that the Vram amount does not matter, but the bus width does.
Score
July 30, 2012 6:17:35 PM

I said that earlier but seems to fall on deaf ears... :/ 
Score
August 3, 2012 6:04:13 PM

Sorry for not getting back to this sooner - it's been a hectic few weeks. I was able to get this working! I used two identical PNY nVidia GTX 560's (same amount of RAM) and am running SLI just fine. Unfortunately, MSI support was not helpful at all, and even told me to "disregard the advertising on the motherboard's packaging...SLI was not supported". After a phone call to the Better Business Bureau, lo and behold - SLI is supported, after all!
Score
August 10, 2012 6:19:15 PM

Best answer selected by mangar.
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
August 10, 2012 6:31:35 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!