  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 13, 2005 6:28:14 PM

Hope someone here can explain the WoW ranged weapon system to me,
as I seem to be missing something. I'm playing a dwarf hunter,
now at level 7. When I use Auto Shot, I get around 20 points of damage
per shot. I got a new skill, Arcane Shot. However, this only does 13 points
of damage
per shot. What use is this?

P.

--
-pm

http://oceanclub.blogspot.com

"All the world is a stage and its inhabitants merely actors and
by definition pansies."

More about : auto shot arcane shot

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 13, 2005 6:28:15 PM

arcane shot is an instant attack that you can use while moving

i'd say it's pretty useful, wouldn't you?

"Paul Moloney" <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hope someone here can explain the WoW ranged weapon system to me,
> as I seem to be missing something. I'm playing a dwarf hunter,
> now at level 7. When I use Auto Shot, I get around 20 points of damage
> per shot. I got a new skill, Arcane Shot. However, this only does 13
points
> of damage
> per shot. What use is this?
>
> P.
>
> --
> -pm
>
> http://oceanclub.blogspot.com
>
> "All the world is a stage and its inhabitants merely actors and
> by definition pansies."

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 13, 2005 6:28:15 PM

Paul Moloney wrote:
> > arcane shot is an instant attack that you can use while moving
>
> OK, I didn't know that (I'm very newbie). So when I use Auto Shot, I must
> stop to shoot,
> while Arcane Shot works on the go? However, it has a 6 second cooldown
> according to the descriptions I've seen - how does this tally with it being
> "instant"?

As soon as you press the button the action is fired - nothing can stop
it if the initial checks are passed (for example - range, line of site
and valid target checks). The other option is that a casting bar pops
up and when it completes the action is triggered (like using your
hearthstone). Non-instant abilities can be interrupted so they take
longer or even completely stopped.

steve.kaye
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 13, 2005 6:40:48 PM

> arcane shot is an instant attack that you can use while moving

OK, I didn't know that (I'm very newbie). So when I use Auto Shot, I must
stop to shoot,
while Arcane Shot works on the go? However, it has a 6 second cooldown
according to the descriptions I've seen - how does this tally with it being
"instant"?

P.

--
-pm

http://oceanclub.blogspot.com

"What do you get the man who has everything? Might I suggest a
gravesone enscribed with the words: so what?"
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 13, 2005 6:40:49 PM

instant only means that when it is available and you use it, it instantly
shoots. the cooldown is related to the frequency you can use it. no
attacks in WoW (that I'm aware of) are continuous, instant attacks. that
would be kind of silly.

the auto shot, even when available (i.e. not in cooldown, if it has a
cooldown) takes some time to actually go off before shooting, after you hit
the button to fire.

> > arcane shot is an instant attack that you can use while moving
>
> OK, I didn't know that (I'm very newbie). So when I use Auto Shot, I must
> stop to shoot,
> while Arcane Shot works on the go? However, it has a 6 second cooldown
> according to the descriptions I've seen - how does this tally with it
being
> "instant"?
>
> P.
>

> --
> -pm
>
> http://oceanclub.blogspot.com
>
> "What do you get the man who has everything? Might I suggest a
> gravesone enscribed with the words: so what?"

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 13, 2005 7:33:00 PM

OK, thanks... I think I see how combat works. So take
a hypothetical situation where I only have Auto Shot and
Arcane Shot, and I'm hunting a monster. A good strategy
might be...

Fire Auto Shot....
While Auto Shot cools down, run away and fire Arcane
Shot while on the run...
Once Auto Shot is back, stop and fire that...
Again, start running, and fire Arcane Shot once...

Etc, etc. Correct?

P.

--
-pm

http://oceanclub.blogspot.com

"I took a speed reading course and read 'War and Peace' in
twenty minutes. It involves Russia."

"Mike in Mystic" <sandiedadog@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> instant only means that when it is available and you use it, it instantly
> shoots. the cooldown is related to the frequency you can use it. no
> attacks in WoW (that I'm aware of) are continuous, instant attacks. that
> would be kind of silly.
>
> the auto shot, even when available (i.e. not in cooldown, if it has a
> cooldown) takes some time to actually go off before shooting, after you
> hit
> the button to fire.
>

> "Paul Moloney" <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > arcane shot is an instant attack that you can use while moving
>>
>> OK, I didn't know that (I'm very newbie). So when I use Auto Shot, I must
>> stop to shoot,
>> while Arcane Shot works on the go? However, it has a 6 second cooldown
>> according to the descriptions I've seen - how does this tally with it
> being
>> "instant"?
>>
>> P.
>>

>> --
>> -pm
>>
>> http://oceanclub.blogspot.com
>>
>> "What do you get the man who has everything? Might I suggest a
>> gravesone enscribed with the words: so what?"

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 14, 2005 2:48:49 AM

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:28:14 +0100, "Paul Moloney"
<paul_moloney@hotmail.com> scribed into the ether:

>Hope someone here can explain the WoW ranged weapon system to me,
>as I seem to be missing something. I'm playing a dwarf hunter,
>now at level 7. When I use Auto Shot, I get around 20 points of damage
>per shot. I got a new skill, Arcane Shot. However, this only does 13 points
>of damage
>per shot. What use is this?

It is in addition to your autoshots, it does not replace them.

Also doing magic damage, it ignores target armor. This is not an important
difference at level 7, but at 57, it is.

Also, it is an instant ability that you can activate on the run, autoshot
is not. Useful for pulling, kiting, and PvP.
September 14, 2005 5:17:00 AM

Paul Moloney <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> stared blankly into space for
a short while before writing:
> OK, thanks... I think I see how combat works. So take
> a hypothetical situation where I only have Auto Shot and
> Arcane Shot, and I'm hunting a monster. A good strategy
> might be...
>
> Fire Auto Shot....
> While Auto Shot cools down, run away and fire Arcane
> Shot while on the run...
> Once Auto Shot is back, stop and fire that...
> Again, start running, and fire Arcane Shot once...
>
> Etc, etc. Correct?

Auto-shot is at weapon speed, so if your bow is 2.20 speed, auto-shot
will fire every 2.2 seconds. If you hit Arcane shot it will fire
immediately and independently of auto-shot.

EG:-

seconds / action

0.0 / Auto-shot + Arcane shot
2.2 / Auto-shot
4.4 / Auto-shot
6.0 / Arcane shot
6.6 / Auto-shot
8.8 / Auto-shot
11.0 / Auto-shot
12.0 / Arcane shot

This assumes that you hit 'Arcane shot' the instant that it completes
cooldown.

--
Doc
Anonymous

> 0.0 / Auto-shot + Arcane shot
> 2.2 / Auto-shot
> 4.4 / Auto-shot
> 6.0 / Arcane shot
> 6.6 / Auto-shot
> 8.8 / Auto-shot
> 11.0 / Auto-shot
> 12.0 / Arcane shot
>
> This assumes that you hit 'Arcane shot' the instant that it completes
> cooldown.

Gotcha. Thanks.

--

!