Sign in with
Your question

PSU question

Last response: in Components
January 25, 2013 7:23:13 PM

Hello, everyone.

Several days ago my PSU stopped working, it was a spire case 420w psu (that's what i read atleast)

Since i can't afford a new one, i was wondering if i can use the 300w PSU from my older PC

My specs are:
intel i5 2400k
afox nvidia gt 440 2gb ddr3
4 gb ram
500 gb hdd

Let me know if you need any additional info in order to determine your answer, i don't undertand much about hardware i just wrote what i thought i should.

Best regards

More about : psu question

January 25, 2013 10:37:03 PM

Working with the info you have given me, it looks like that PSU should handle that rig fine. A word of warning however; although that PSU isn't exactly one which would be likely to burn your house down, They aren't exactly the best out there.

As I said, it should be fine. However, if you invest in a new PSU in the future, try to use brands such as Corsair, XFX and antec. These use seasonic or other very good PSU OEMs so you will be getting a very reliable PSU. One of the most important rules of computer building is to not cheap out on your PSU! Just keep that in mind when you buy a new PSU. I have personally had bad experiences with BeQuiet

TLDR; Yes.
a b ) Power supply
January 25, 2013 11:29:30 PM

fitzeyy said:
Hello, everyone.

Several days ago my PSU stopped working, it was a spire case 420w psu (that's what i read atleast)

Since i can't afford a new one, i was wondering if i can use the 300w PSU from my older PC

My specs are:
intel i5 2400k
afox nvidia gt 440 2gb ddr3
4 gb ram
500 gb hdd

Let me know if you need any additional info in order to determine your answer, i don't undertand much about hardware i just wrote what i thought i should.

Best regards

it will work since both the CPU and GPU are not power hungry but for how long depends on the 300w PSU quality. I assume it's from a mass produced PC (Dell, HP, etc) so I would start saving for a quality PSU sooner rather then later if I was you.
January 26, 2013 10:33:43 AM

Alright guys, thank you very much. :) 
!