Win 7 ultimate crashes - games crash after 10 minutes

leinerantonia

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Hello Community,

anybody, please help me, got a new PC and my system crashes all the time

Sometimes I need to boot 2 or three times until Win7 starts properly, the rest of the time it stalls during booting
and then games like sniper elite v2, la noire crash after some minutes of gameplay, like I play 5 to 10 minutes and then
the system freezes instantly

When I leave my PC running for an hour or so not doing anything win7 freezes as well

My system is:

ASUS M5A 78L-M Series Motherboard
AMD FX 6100 6 CORE
8 GIG RAM
NVIDIA GTX 550 TI 2048MB
1000 GIG SATA II HARDDRIVE
Win 7 Ultimate

does anybody know what to do?

Please help me out

Thank you all so much in advance

Antonia

check asus web page there 7 bios updates for your mb. boot into the bios and look at the rev the bios is at and see if there are any updates on asus web page. a few of the updates are for new cpu code. after you flash the bios check on asus web page the ram list to see if the ram you have is on the list...(the list is not 100 right all the time..also check with the ram vendor.
most times with amd mb and newer ram the ram speed and timing and voltage may be off. use cpu-z and look at the ram speed. then under spd tab it show the ram rated speeds and voltages. (the last line is for intel spd info). also make sure you have the newest chipset drivers (the ones on the mb web page are old) if it a amd chipset go to amd and download the newest ones.
check that the hard drive is on the right 6g port and that you have the mb set to achi mode not ide or raid.
use hardware monitor to check your cpu temps and gpu temps... may not have the heat sink all the way down. if the cpu/gpu temps are fine..use msi afterburner and a video burn in program and see if the video card fan is speeding up when it under load. the 550ti fan speed is set bios was to 40 percent. when the card heats up you should hear the fan. if you dont use msi afterburner and set the fan speed to max and see if you hear and see in the diags that the fan speed went up. if not you could have a bad gpu/gpu fan.

akumati

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Does the whole computer crash and turn off? If so, it's possibly an issue with the Cpu. Is the system still running when its crashed? If so, the gpu crashed. I recommend first checking the cpu temp in bios. If its reaching say 80C, then the cpu is at fault. As for the gpu, try the same thing, except I believe gpu crashing heat is in the 100s.
It may be a dust buildup, or faulty heatsinks. (Fans for the cpu/gpu) Please reply with temperatures if possible.

fantastik250

Distinguished
After you done all the suggestions provided.

Test each RAM stick. Meaning, turn off computer and use 1 RAM stick at a time and see if it stalls on a particular stick.

You can also do a memtest if you want to.

leinerantonia

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012

thanks a lot, will try these out!

Right now I disabled the cool and quiet option in the bios, at least now the system boots normally, but the games still crash
could be also a ram issue as you said, I disabled a ram interleaving option and that seemed to help as well -
I did that because somebody on the forum had a similar problem and he said he has fixed it by switching from dual channel ram to single channel ram (though I have to admit I am not sure how this is done/what it exactly means)

but thanks a lot for now

antonia

leinerantonia

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012

yes, like I left the system running while downloading a huge game from steam, but when I got back to the PC after 2 or three hours win 7 was there, but it was frozen

akumati

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
It may e a heat issue. I recommend removing the heatsinks from both the Cpu and gpu, and cleaning tem out with compressed air. And make sure they're screwed back in correctly. That's all i know~

leinerantonia

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012

thanks, but the heat seems to be fine, I use msi afterburner now and it looks ok

leinerantonia

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012

gpu/cpu temps are fine I think

openhardware monitor reports cpu at 50 C
GPU at 38 C

downloaded the latest chipset drivers from amd and tried sniper elite - used msi afterburner to spped up 550 fan to 90% -
was able to play the game for the longest time period, roughly at to 10 minutes, but then game crashed as well
only difference - usually everything froze, but now windows 7 did reboot automatically after the game crashed

does this indicate/mean something?

El Tigre

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

If you have not done this, I would recommend it as well. It could be an issue with your ram. Make sure your RAM sticks are installed in the proper slots too. For example, my mobo requires that if I have 3 sticks, I install them in the blacks slots over the blue ones first. You can also try a BIOS reset too.

You can also try running a registry cleaning program, if all else fails, I would back up your data and reinstall Windows. If that fails, then it may be a hardware issue.

leinerantonia

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012

hi,

thanks for the reply,

yes as smorizo and you wrote it may be a ram issue, like he said with amd motherboard and newer ram the ram speed and timing and voltage may be off and that I should update my bios like you said

I think this might be the issue, because at first win7 used to crash sometimes during bootup - now I disabled DRAM channel interleaving in the bios and now win7 boots fine, so the whole thing might be some ram or timing issue...geez...I never did something like this before, I mean RAM configuration or bios updates...hope I wont ruin anything

but thanks a lot for your help
Antonia

El Tigre

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
Are all of your ram sticks the same brand and model? If they are different brands and different frequencies, they could cause instability issues. First, try reseting your BIOS to it's default settings. You can also clear the CMOS by unplugging your computer, then remove the button cell battery and wait a few minutes, then replace it.

Since your mobo uses 2 RAM sticks, try taking one RAM stick out and test it that way with both sticks. It may be you have a bad RAM stick or both. Also what frequency is your ram? (1333, 1600 and such)

leinerantonia

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012

hi,

when checking with cpu-z software I get the following frequencies/info:

type:DD3
size:8192
channels:dual
NB frequency: varies at approx 2040 mhz
DRAM frequency. roughly at 680
FSB:DRAM = 3:10

I also wanted to do a bios update, there is a new version out, which supports new CPUs and increases memory compabatility it says.

I just downloaded a .ROM file - the bios update - from the ASUS site - but how do I do a BIOS update?
Could you walk me through?

El Tigre

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
Be careful with that BIOS update, make sure it's the right one, I see that there are different models of your mobo. Is it the ASUS M5A 78L-M LE? ASUS M5A 78L-M LX? ASUS M5A 78L-M LX Plus? ASUS M5A 78L-M LX V2?

This is very important as flashing the wrong BIOS update could brick your mobo. You can find this info in CPU-Z if you are not sure.

To flash the BIOS update, this thread has good info you need.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20070215223109668&board_id=1

leinerantonia

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012

It is the ASUS M5A 78L-M LE mobo - I downloaded the right BIOS update (I hope :) )

will check out the thread you sent me - thanks a bunch mate for now!