Long HDMI Cable to Living Room

Unknownvirus

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
Not sure which category this fits in but I was wondering about running a long HDMI cable from my PC to the living room HDTV for some couch gaming. I have a wireless xbox 360 controller gaming receiver and have tested being able to use my 360 controller as a gamepad. I measured that I would need at least a 40 ft HDMI cable to reach the receiver in the living room from where my PC is located. What i'm worried about is signal degradation especially when running 1080p content at long distances. Monoprice has many different hdmi cables and am not sure which to buy.

Graphics card is a Gigabyte HD 7870 OC so I know its powerful enough for 1080p gaming.

Has anyone done this before and can comment?

Solution
I use 25ft and 50ft HDMI cable all the time, 50ft is max hdmi will work 1080p perfect without any need for repeaters.

my cables are 25ft-15$ and 50ft-25$ nice and cheap newer seen them skip a frame.
only thing i would advice get 24AWG rated cables, (26, 28awg are thinner and cheaper)

I connect my PC with 42inch TV in living room 50ft using 1080p and use wireless mouse to control it, watch blue rays, play games

i would not recommend use of over cat5 extender personally for such short distance and most likely it will add very bad lag while gaming,

Unknownvirus

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011

I would only do this when I have friends over (have coop games on steam) or when I'm feeling lazy and want to play on the big screen instead of my monitor. I think it would be inconvenient to carry my haf xm from my room to the living room and then back again.

Unknownvirus

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011

The thing I'm worried about is that I've read that some hdmi cables fail to pass 1080p/60 content over long distances on some sites I've googled. Now I don't expect to game at ultra settings at 60 fps but on high at least. The rendering at 1080p is not the problem, its whether the cable can send the signal over at a long distance without degradation like sparkles and whatnot.

Unknownvirus

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011

In case anyone was wondering, I think I found a solution i've never heard of before. They are called HDMI extenders that extend HDMI signals over Cat5/cat6 cables, way cheaper than buying a really long hdmi cable. It's more cables to work with but much lesser cost.

Heres a link

duxducis

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
I use 25ft and 50ft HDMI cable all the time, 50ft is max hdmi will work 1080p perfect without any need for repeaters.

my cables are 25ft-15$ and 50ft-25$ nice and cheap newer seen them skip a frame.
only thing i would advice get 24AWG rated cables, (26, 28awg are thinner and cheaper)

I connect my PC with 42inch TV in living room 50ft using 1080p and use wireless mouse to control it, watch blue rays, play games

i would not recommend use of over cat5 extender personally for such short distance and most likely it will add very bad lag while gaming,

Solution

Unknownvirus

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011

Is it just the extender itself or the type of cable? because I have spare cat6 cables.