What ram do I use for KG7?

Tags:
  • Memory
  • RAM
Last response: in Memory
Anonymous
a b } Memory
September 25, 2001 7:42:47 AM

Just wondering what works for you KG7 users out there... Registered, Unbuffered, both? I read somewhere that you needed Registered to use more than 2 slots, but I see nothing about that on the Abit page, or in the manual. Help?

More about : ram kg7

September 25, 2001 11:55:58 AM

Yes, you will need Registered to use more than 2 dimm. It is stated on the manual.
September 25, 2001 2:47:08 PM

Yeah, ive got 768 running (3x 256), and its registered, works fine.
Related resources
September 25, 2001 8:24:25 PM

like they said 2 sticks max for unregistered
buy the best quality you can (steer clear of generic ect)!!
remember windows 98/me has a problem with more than 512mb
September 25, 2001 9:22:39 PM

ME too?
I thought that it was just 98.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.
September 28, 2001 12:09:05 AM

I've read somewhere that if it's 'really high quality' unregistered, it will work; but Abit will not 'guarantee' it. I guess 'really high quality' would be Micron pc2400, cas2 or something....

<font color=blue>I hacked Msft, and all I got was this lousy source code.....</font color=blue>
September 28, 2001 5:31:28 AM

Guys you're going about this all wrong.

It doesn't matter at all how many slots you are using, if you decide either Unbuffered or Registered memory.

All that matters is how many banks each memory stick has.

The Abit KG7 or KG7-RAID supports up to 4 banks of memory if Unbuffered, and up to 8 banks if Registered.

If each of your memory sticks used 1 bank each, then you can use all four Unbuffered. However, if you had a memory chip with 4 banks, then you can only use 1 of those if Unbuffered, or 2 if Registered. Look at the banks on the memory, because believe me, not all memory is equal.
September 28, 2001 11:28:02 AM

We understand the limitations, but thank you for the clarification on the number of memory banks. I've never broken it down like that.

So, can you find 512meg sticks with only 2 banks/card, unregistered?

<font color=blue>I hacked Msft, and all I got was this lousy source code.....</font color=blue>
!