Folder icons in "Save As" dialogs...

I recently installed Flyakite (theme suite), to emulate OSX. It turned
all my folder icons into blue OSX style icons. I decided I preferred
my old custom gray icons, so using E-Icons (and also trying
ActivIcons), I changed them back to my custom icons (using separate
icons for closed and open folders.) Works great. All my folders are
the way I like them in general. The only problem is, any time I
encounter a "save as" dialog, like when downloading something, most of
the icons in the dialog are the blue OSX style. The only icons that
aren't blue are ones I customized a while back and whose folder
contains a desktop.ini file.

I've cleared the cache, rebuilt it, rebooted. Nothing works.

Now I know folder icons are customizable system wide, because A) I had
it that way before, and B) Flyakite has installed their own blue icons.
So I'm stumped as to what it takes to override these dern blue icons.
Any ideas?

TIA

RK
5 answers Last reply
More about folder icons save dialogs

    I believe this is normal windows behavior. The only time it will load a
    custom folder icon is a save/open dialog is if its customized
    specificly for that folder.

    Flyakite does install its own shell32.dll. The blue folder icon is now
    recognized by XP as the default icon for folders.

    rkny18@gmail.com écrivait ceci :

    >know folder icons are customizable system wide, because A) I had
    > it that way before, and B) Flyakite has installed their own blue
    > icons. So I'm stumped as to what it takes to override these dern blue
    > icons. Any ideas?

    I've customized my own folders (sysem wide) and have the same problem as you
    since... Windows 2000 sp2 ! It seems the open/save dialog don't use the
    registry settings for displaying the icons as do Explorer. By exemple, I
    have installed a lot of "Kristal" folder icons by "hacking" the registry but
    the opens/save dialog (and IE file browser, too) displays only the hugly
    standard yellow folder icons, when its ok everywhere else (Explorer,
    mostly).

    And it seems that dispite the name of this newsgroup, except us, nobody care
    ;-) ...

    I've found a way to bypass it, editing the Shell32.dll with an icon editor.
    But it must be redone each time the dll is updated with a new version by
    service pack or WU.

    I'm interested with the fact that your Flyakite was able to change this
    bug/behaviour. Does it install some executable, or replace the original
    shell32.dll ? Can you edit it with an icon editor to check that point ?....

    --
    michel

    makes sense ... i set up my icons using iconpackager instead of
    shell32.dll and my open/save dialogs have default folders (think
    iconpackager just edits the registry). I dont really care cause they
    are small and it doesn't bother me too much, but it would be nice to
    get them to show. I guess I would have to hack shell32.dll in order to
    do this ...

    Michael Gorbach wrote:
    > makes sense ... i set up my icons using iconpackager instead of
    > shell32.dll and my open/save dialogs have default folders (think
    > iconpackager just edits the registry). I dont really care cause they
    > are small and it doesn't bother me too much, but it would be nice to
    > get them to show. I guess I would have to hack shell32.dll in order to
    > do this ...

    Someone posted a link to an article on doing that in the iconpackager
    newsgroup (Stardock's server).

    http://www.tweakxp.com/article36842.aspx

    Haven't tried it yet.

    --
    >>ANIME SENSHI<<
    Marc D. Williams
    marcdw@charter.net
    http://tvdog.shacknet.nu/ -- DOS Internet & Tandy 1000
    http://www.geocities.com/wilmarcdw/ -- Win3.x Makeover

Configuration Customization Icons Windows XP Mac OS X