Creative Sound Blaster! What is the diff between m/b sound

bigirishman

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
Could anyone be kind enough to inform me of the difference between onboard sound on my asrock extreme 4 and a pci Creative Sound Blaster card? :eek:

bigirishman

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012

This one brett. A friend told me i should get one because i love playing tunes on my desktop with 5.1 speakers and he said i should get a sb. This is the cheapest of the kind he advised me on(X-Fi Titanium)

You have a good onboard audio on that motherboard, you don't need to spend more on a sound card, the extreme 4 contains the ALC898 which is Realteks lastest chipset, and achieves the highest SNR ratio out of ANY onboard solutions. (110DB SNR)

See the specs :

7.1 CH HD Audio with Content Protection (Realtek ALC898 Audio Codec)
- Premium Blu-ray audio support
- Supports THX TruStudio™

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme4/?cat=Specifications

No need for sound card.

ARICH5

Distinguished
the only advantage to having a soundcard is it offloads the sound related duties to the card and not the cpu.
i tried it once where i played stalker with and without my sb audigy. i noticed in task manager that WITH the card installed cpu usage was down 20-30%

bigirishman

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012

Thats a big hit!! are you sure sound can take that much usage of a cpu?

bigirishman

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012

Thanx for the heads up. I'll look into this further. I still dont get why there's an option 4 a pci sound device these days compared to onboard. arich5 on this thread informed me Quote"the only advantage to having a soundcard is it offloads the sound related duties to the card and not the cpu.
i tried it once where i played stalker with and without my sb audigy. i noticed in task manager that WITH the card installed cpu usage was down 20-30%" is this how you would see it? Im not sure if he used a real old cpu then but i'd not expect that sort of usage of cpu with just sound! Or am i wrong?

ARICH5

Distinguished
i was using a old gigabyte mobo and a old 5600x2 cpu and i did see a difference in cpu usage in task manager.

the new realtek ac98 are not that resource heavy as they used to be though. especially with the new cpu's

TRENDING THREADS