Creative Sound Blaster! What is the diff between m/b sound

Could anyone be kind enough to inform me of the difference between onboard sound on my asrock extreme 4 and a pci Creative Sound Blaster card? :o
14 answers Last reply
More about creative sound blaster diff sound
  1. WHICH SB card ?
  2. Brett928S2 said:
    WHICH SB card ?

    This one brett. A friend told me i should get one because i love playing tunes on my desktop with 5.1 speakers and he said i should get a sb. This is the cheapest of the kind he advised me on(X-Fi Titanium)
  3. Brett928S2 said:
    WHICH SB card ?

    Sorry brett im a numty. i forgot to send you the link 4 the sb. here it is http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30SB088200000-Creative-Sound-Blaster-X-Fi-Titanium-So-/400361572762?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_SoundCards&hash=item5d3768c99a
  4. Hi :)

    That card is a LOT better than any on-board sound...

    All the best Brett :)
  5. Brett928S2 said:
    Hi :)

    That card is a LOT better than any on-board sound...

    All the best Brett :)

    Thanks brett. Have a nice day/night.
  6. bigirishman said:
    Thanks brett. Have a nice day/night.



    Hi :)

    Yvw :)

    All the best Brett :)
  7. bigirishman said:
    Could anyone be kind enough to inform me of the difference between onboard sound on my asrock extreme 4 and a pci Creative Sound Blaster card? :o



    You have a good onboard audio on that motherboard, you don't need to spend more on a sound card, the extreme 4 contains the ALC898 which is Realteks lastest chipset, and achieves the highest SNR ratio out of ANY onboard solutions. (110DB SNR)

    See the specs :


    7.1 CH HD Audio with Content Protection (Realtek ALC898 Audio Codec)
    - Premium Blu-ray audio support
    - Supports THX TruStudio™

    http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme4/?cat=Specifications


    No need for sound card.
  8. the only advantage to having a soundcard is it offloads the sound related duties to the card and not the cpu.
    i tried it once where i played stalker with and without my sb audigy. i noticed in task manager that WITH the card installed cpu usage was down 20-30%
  9. ARICH5 said:
    the only advantage to having a soundcard is it offloads the sound related duties to the card and not the cpu.
    i tried it once where i played stalker with and without my sb audigy. i noticed in task manager that WITH the card installed cpu usage was down 20-30%

    Thats a big hit!! are you sure sound can take that much usage of a cpu?
  10. djangoringo said:
    You have a good onboard audio on that motherboard, you don't need to spend more on a sound card, the extreme 4 contains the ALC898 which is Realteks lastest chipset, and achieves the highest SNR ratio out of ANY onboard solutions. (110DB SNR)

    See the specs :


    7.1 CH HD Audio with Content Protection (Realtek ALC898 Audio Codec)
    - Premium Blu-ray audio support
    - Supports THX TruStudio™

    http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme4/?cat=Specifications


    No need for sound card.

    Thanx for the heads up. I'll look into this further. I still dont get why there's an option 4 a pci sound device these days compared to onboard. arich5 on this thread informed me Quote"the only advantage to having a soundcard is it offloads the sound related duties to the card and not the cpu.
    i tried it once where i played stalker with and without my sb audigy. i noticed in task manager that WITH the card installed cpu usage was down 20-30%" is this how you would see it? Im not sure if he used a real old cpu then but i'd not expect that sort of usage of cpu with just sound! Or am i wrong?
  11. There's no impact in usage of the cpu either with onboard or soundcard.
  12. djangoringo said:
    There's no impact in usage of the cpu either with onboard or soundcard.

    Thanks m8. saved me a few quid I think. ;)
  13. i was using a old gigabyte mobo and a old 5600x2 cpu and i did see a difference in cpu usage in task manager.

    the new realtek ac98 are not that resource heavy as they used to be though. especially with the new cpu's
  14. sound quality:

    the titanium is a world better in movies,music.games.

    if u can afford is a great upgrade.

    also depends if u got a good system.
Ask a new question

Read More

Sound Cards Sound Blaster ASrock Creative Components