So with reports surfacing saying that Nvidia will be releasing new cards on the 16th of August, I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on what might be coming ?

Rumoured cards include 670SE 660TI 660 650Ti and 650. The most often reported cards are the 660 and 660 Ti cards.
I have even seen some claiming that Nvidia will do all these cards with increasingly crippled versions of the GK104 chip, I don't see that happening myself and believe the 650 cards will be GK106 chips. Info on what a GK106 chip would bring to the table are pretty scarce at the moment.

Anyone have any thoughts or info concerning the above ?

Mactronix :)

alexander0884

Distinguished
May 28, 2010

They will bridge the gap between their high end cards such as gts 670 and the low end counterparts as there is nothing currently in the market (500 series is considered outdated) 660.

The 560Ti maybe older but its easily as capable as anything AMD have at the moment and both outperforms anything in its price bracket and perform as well as cards that cost more than it. I'm basing that on my local UK pricing it may well be different elsewhere.

I was hoping that maybe there could be some pricing shake ups but don't really hold out too much hope of that.

so let the rumour mill spin again eh? :D

the way i heard about it there will be several model coming out next month. what caught my attention was the rumour about GTS650 that will be based on GK107. spec wise it will be almost the same as GT640 but with higher core clock and GDDR5 on board. there are some leaked benchmark about it being as fast as GTX550 Ti but what really surprise me is they also claim the card will only consumes 5 watt more than GT640

alexander0884

Distinguished
May 28, 2010

Completely and utterly wrong.

http://www.hwcompare.com/12054/geforce-gtx-560-ti-vs-radeon-hd-7850/

560ti does ot even come close to comparison with 7850, AMDS mid range card. NVIDIA has a huge hole in its production and has no mid range market at this moment.

Sure you can get an aged 560ti power guzzler with lower perfromance to save yourself what is it? 10-20quid over the AMD 7850, but anyone would definetly pick the AMD as it has newer version of DX/oGL, better power consumption ratios, better bandwidth, clocks etc.

There is no rumor mill here, there is only facts; nVIDIA to release 660 to bring a mid range product into market and compete with 7850. From my understanding, and here is where I can not be as certain, it will be the same die as the 670 locked.

alexander0884

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
The GTX 480 is $220 or £160 over here... this is a 7850 killer....
There is deifinitly a card to compete with it, albeit being 2 gen old.

Well gtx480 is not a mid range card and never was.

Besides its a 250watt beast, it consumes almost DOUBLE the power of a HD7850 and mostly because of extra ROP's, where as the HD7850 would perform more or less the same at half the cost and increased efficiency.

Having said that I wonder why they limit Render output units to 32 in all the latest cards?

alexander0884

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
Cost+power efficiency and heat... which was beaten by Nvidia this time around anyway..
I wonder if their next generation cards would focus on power and raw output with the shrunken 22mm die. Should be the usual beastly performance but with a fraction of the power req.

:pfff: Utterly irrelevant benchmarks try looking at gaming reviews, and also you should realise that there are more versions of the 560Ti than the stock version which are all still cheaper than a 7850 (£30-40) and most probably will over clock as well as any factory over clocked card anyway. Try looking at what the Zotac Amp version is capable of ;)

Anyway I didn't open this thread to discuss the merits of today's cards its about what's coming.

@ recon-uk
£160 now, that's one hell of a bargain and certainly knocks spots of anything in and around that price bracket.

i'm interested to see what this upcoming card will bring to the table but personally i will most probably going to skip this gen. or maybe i will wait until next gen comes out then start looking this gen card with cheaper price lol. anyway my GTX460 still going strong with my 1600x900 resolution so i see no hurry to pick up a new card

I have to agree renz,
You can blame who or what you want, the fact of the matter is that prices are generally too high at the moment for your average buyer. Especially when a lot of people are like you and me, not actually needing the upgrade

Disappointing to see the bus drop down to 192 :( I realise that it probably is not the end of the world and 192 is better than 128 which I personally detest.
I'm waiting (probably in vain) for the 650Ti. Well I think I am anyway. Difficult to tell really.

I'm looking for a card with a little better performance than a 560Ti but costs less :D I know fat chance.
I guess they could put a 256 bus on the 650Ti and put the 650 (non Ti) on a 192 bus to make the difference ?

alexander0884

Distinguished
May 28, 2010

How are those benchmarks irrelevant? Who cares about other versions of 560ti. You are so silly and naive, you clearly want to compare an after market oc 560ti vs a reference 7850? Really now? Please learn to analyze things on an equal comparison.

FYI the AMD 8750 is one of the best cards to OC right now, reaching on the heels of 7950 with REFERENCE pcbs.

Secondly the cheapest 7850 is around £180 and dropping. What kind of fool would spend 160 on an outdated EOL card that consumes over 50% more power and doesn't even perform as well.

Nvidia had a hole in it's production, they played it smart July releasing the gtx670 so that way it would become the bulk rather than the pinnacle. They capitalized on this and will nowrelease a mid range card as the 670 hype cOmes to an end. AMDs 7850 dominance will come to an end, but no doubt we will see the price lowered further, nominating it best budget mid range card.

Go figure. The benchmarks speak for themselves, just because they are irrelevant to you, does not make them irrelevant to hardware analysts around the world.

AMD 8750? It's a bit premature to be raving about a card that may never exist don't you think? :lol:

alexander0884

Distinguished
May 28, 2010

Transposition error, I am sure that we all know what card is being referred to.

I am disappointing to be honest, their prices are not all that great and for the low end as well mid range some of us have to either laugh about it or rage. Many of the cards that are now out are mediocre at best when it comes to quality while the low end cards can't but barely compete with a aging 9600gt or a gt240. Seen some of the benches for the GT650 and with 384 shaders with GDDR5 it is only a meager 3% faster than a stock clocked GTX550Ti.

So like many here I will be hanging onto my Fermi era gtx460 and wait it out until quality improves or something comes along at a great price.

Your 460 still running is it? Funnily enough so are my OC'd Palit GTX560Ti's! :whistle: :lol:

Please stop with the name calling :non: Your benchmarks are irrelevant and that's a fact.
People who know what they are talking about would not use such performance metrics to try and prove the performance of a card. What matters to people is actual real world performance not theoretical bandwidth/Pixel and Texel rates.

As was the case from the GTX460 the 560Ti is not about the stock card, which you would know if you actually knew what you were talking about.
Its nice for you that there have been some recent price drops to help add weight to your point of view.
However when I posted what I did a week ago the price difference was as I said at the time £30-40.

Now as I said last time I did not open this thread for this.
Please stick to topic on the thread.
If you wish to discus this further please PM me.