Different colors on two separate monitors

dangthe

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Hello there,

I have a problem with monitor color management and calibration. I work as a web designer, at work I am working on a Fujitsu-Siemens D22W-1 display, while at home I am working on a Samsung 2233BW. I do my web layouts in Fireworks CS5 which is working with png files. Sometimes I get websites clients like as jpg-s. The problem is, both the pngs and jpgs look different on both monitors, both in image preview programs (Windows Photo Viewer, Picasa) as well as in Fireworks itself.
After reading a bit online, I found out that people were complaining on the color profile of Samsung monitors, so I removed it. Both monitors now have no specific color profile selected. I calibrated them both using the calibration tool in Win7. I also calibrated my Samsung through my GPU software (Radeon 6870), made no difference. I obviously cannot put the monitors one next to each other and tweak them to look the same, so I need help.
Important thing to mention is that I cannot change color profiles and gamma on my Samsung directly with its controls, it says "not available". While I do know that it is normal for two monitors not to have the exact same colors, doing web design layouts and having completely different colors on two monitors is unacceptable. So I need some advice on what to try and fix this, or at least be pointed to resources that will help me better understand color management and profiles, as I am relatively new to it.

Cheers

a little black duck

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
For the best color calibration, you need to get down to your local photography shop and pick up colorimeter and use it to adjust all your monitors. These do a far better job than software based solutions. They're easy to use and do a first rate job of matching colors. I would suggest something like the datacolor spyder express. >> http://spyder.datacolor.com/display-calibration/

Edit: Have also heard good things about these >> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/485807-REG/Pantone_MEU_113_HueyPRO_Colorimeter.html

dangthe

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010

Thanks for the info