I'm a level 49 NE Rogue (and I love it) -- Currently my professions
stats are:
Leather: 230
Skinning: 298

As much as I enjoy skinning, leathering is kinda boring. I have yet to
make any decent gold nor have been able to enjoy any products that I
can make. I think the only 2 items thus far that I used are, the
Gem-Studded Belt and the Shadowskin Gloves. Other then that -- the AH
is field with leatherman's products .

I have been thinking about changing professions into Mining and
Engineering. Engineering seems fun and so does mining. This is my
first character so I have yet to really experience other professions.

Any advice, opinions?

In my limited experience, raw goods always sell for more than finished
materials. If I ever start an alt, it's gonna be skinning and some
minimap-spotted gathering profession, either mining or leatherworking. That
way I'll have two big-gold professions that don't compete with eachother
over which I'm monitoring on the minimap.

that's exactly what happened to me. leathermaking got boring since i
could never sell an item and i was too high level to use the item....

In article <dg6l4o$bjt$1@mailhub227.itcs.purdue.edu>,
"Matt Gluesenkamp" <mgluesen@purdue.edu> wrote:

> In my limited experience, raw goods always sell for more than finished
> materials. If I ever start an alt, it's gonna be skinning and some
> minimap-spotted gathering profession, either mining or leatherworking. That
> way I'll have two big-gold professions that don't compete with eachother
> over which I'm monitoring on the minimap.

Where do you get the leatherworking-minimap-spotted-gathering add-on?
<G>

--
Nabuu, Tauren druid on Dethecus.
Also (rarely):

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

"Fobulous" <michael.canonigo@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm a level 49 NE Rogue (and I love it) -- Currently my professions
> stats are:
> Leather: 230
> Skinning: 298
>
> As much as I enjoy skinning, leathering is kinda boring. I have yet to
> make any decent gold nor have been able to enjoy any products that I
> can make. I think the only 2 items thus far that I used are, the
> Gem-Studded Belt and the Shadowskin Gloves. Other then that -- the AH
> is field with leatherman's products .
>
> I have been thinking about changing professions into Mining and
> Engineering. Engineering seems fun and so does mining. This is my
> first character so I have yet to really experience other professions.
>
> Any advice, opinions?

I am a level 31 hunter and just changed from skinning and leatherworking to
herbalism and alchemy. I can tell you the previous professions were very useless
and boring! Now I find myself starving to get more herbs to make *very* useful
potions.

"888" <none@space.com> wrote in message

> "Fobulous" <michael.canonigo@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I'm a level 49 NE Rogue (and I love it) -- Currently my professions
>> stats are:
>> Leather: 230
>> Skinning: 298
>>
>> As much as I enjoy skinning, leathering is kinda boring. I have yet to
>> make any decent gold nor have been able to enjoy any products that I
>> can make. I think the only 2 items thus far that I used are, the
>> Gem-Studded Belt and the Shadowskin Gloves. Other then that -- the AH
>> is field with leatherman's products .
>>
>> I have been thinking about changing professions into Mining and
>> Engineering. Engineering seems fun and so does mining. This is my
>> first character so I have yet to really experience other professions.
>>
>> Any advice, opinions?
>>

> I am a level 31 hunter and just changed from skinning and leatherworking
> to herbalism and alchemy. I can tell you the previous professions were
> very useless and boring! Now I find myself starving to get more herbs to
> make *very* useful potions.

In the end game herbalism is probably the most useful profession for most
players. We need more potions for raiding. A guild only needs one
alchemist but farming the herbs is too much to lay on one person imo.

"888" <none@space.com> wrote in message

> "Fobulous" <michael.canonigo@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > I'm a level 49 NE Rogue (and I love it) -- Currently my professions
> > stats are:
> > Leather: 230
> > Skinning: 298
> >
> > As much as I enjoy skinning, leathering is kinda boring. I have yet to
> > make any decent gold nor have been able to enjoy any products that I
> > can make. I think the only 2 items thus far that I used are, the
> > Gem-Studded Belt and the Shadowskin Gloves. Other then that -- the AH
> > is field with leatherman's products .
> >
> > I have been thinking about changing professions into Mining and
> > Engineering. Engineering seems fun and so does mining. This is my
> > first character so I have yet to really experience other professions.
> >
> > Any advice, opinions?
> >

> I am a level 31 hunter and just changed from skinning and leatherworking
> herbalism and alchemy. I can tell you the previous professions were very
useless
> and boring! Now I find myself starving to get more herbs to make *very*
useful
> potions.

potions are cool and some of the higher level ones are pretty damned
impressive.

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 17:44:42 +0100, "888" <none@space.com> wrote:

>I am a level 31 hunter and just changed from skinning and leatherworking to
>herbalism and alchemy. I can tell you the previous professions were very useless
>and boring! Now I find myself starving to get more herbs to make *very* useful
>potions.

Interesting, that's the exact opposite to me - I did herbalism/alchemy when
I was last playing (stopped for a few months due to lack of time), and I
was so bored of it by the end, and found it pretty useless, but didn't want
to throw away all the time I'd spent on it.

As I'm moving server and starting over anyway, I'm going to take up
skinning/leatherworking this time, which I expect to be a lot more fun -
perhaps potions are more use, but I never used the potions I made anyway; I
always just hung onto them so I'd always have some to hand, so for me it's
better to just make armour or something like that where I won't end up
feeling I can't use it "in case I need it later". The only potions I ever
really used much were healing potions, and I can pickpocket them often
enough not to need to make them (I usually ended up selling loads on the AH
because I really didn't need to carry 50 of them around!)

I'll see fairly soon if I do enjoy leatherworking more than alchemy, but I
know I loved tailoring on an alt, so I imagine I'll like leatherworking as
well.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

"Catriona R" <catrionarNOSPAM@totalise.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 17:44:42 +0100, "888" <none@space.com> wrote:
>
>>I am a level 31 hunter and just changed from skinning and leatherworking to
>>herbalism and alchemy. I can tell you the previous professions were very
>>useless
>>and boring! Now I find myself starving to get more herbs to make *very* useful
>>potions.
>
> Interesting, that's the exact opposite to me - I did herbalism/alchemy when
> I was last playing (stopped for a few months due to lack of time), and I
> was so bored of it by the end, and found it pretty useless, but didn't want
> to throw away all the time I'd spent on it.
>
> As I'm moving server and starting over anyway, I'm going to take up
> skinning/leatherworking this time, which I expect to be a lot more fun -
> perhaps potions are more use, but I never used the potions I made anyway; I
> always just hung onto them so I'd always have some to hand, so for me it's
> better to just make armour or something like that where I won't end up
> feeling I can't use it "in case I need it later". The only potions I ever
> really used much were healing potions, and I can pickpocket them often
> enough not to need to make them (I usually ended up selling loads on the AH
> because I really didn't need to carry 50 of them around!)
>
> I'll see fairly soon if I do enjoy leatherworking more than alchemy, but I
> know I loved tailoring on an alt, so I imagine I'll like leatherworking as
> well.

Problem with leatherworking is that the armour you make are too low level and
demand isn't high. People rather invest in something more powerful in the
auction house. Also most quest rewards are clothing/armour anyway and are
usually better than the things leatherworking allows you to make. And another
thing, they should lower the leatherworking skill requirement for advancement
into the next level.