Sign in with
Your question
Closed

CPU @ 61Celcius at idle

Last response: in CPUs
January 25, 2013 11:02:35 PM

Hi all,

Just built a new pc. MSI 970A-G46 Mobo, Phenom II x6 1045t. Everything seemed to be working fine. I noticed the cpu fan seemed to be running fast constantly so I went into my BIOS to check the cpu temp. I left it in bios for about 10mins and the cpu stayed at 60-62 Celcius. From other threads I believe this is an abnormally high temp. Is it? If so what do I do?

More about : cpu 61celcius idle

a b à CPUs
January 25, 2013 11:12:46 PM

you need to re-seat your CPU cooler. use only a pea size amount of thermal paste

also have at least two case fans (one intake and one exhaust)
a b à CPUs
January 25, 2013 11:37:28 PM

Re-cement your heatsink/fan...
Related resources
January 26, 2013 12:08:56 AM

Ok So I tried that and it's still doing the same thing. I have no experience with thermal paste though so I'm not sure if I did it right. What now?
a b à CPUs
January 26, 2013 12:10:46 AM

Sathid said:
Ok So I tried that and it's still doing the same thing. I have no experience with thermal paste though so I'm not sure if I did it right. What now?

Hi :) 

Lots of vids on Youtube on how to do it....

Or explain how YOU did it to us...

All the best Brett :) 
January 26, 2013 12:13:55 AM

I followed the instructions that came with the thermal paste. There's a sticker with the little cut out square that you stick on the bottom of the heatsink. The I put a thin line of paste at one edge of the sticker and used the applicator card to spread a thin layer onto the heatsink. Then I seated the heatsink on the cpu straight down and attached it.
January 26, 2013 12:29:57 AM

I have an Intel I7-3960X and I'm using the Intel liquid cooler. it idles at 27c. Also......he is correct about only needing a small amount of thermal paste.....But, i have never seen too much thermal paste increase the cpu temp. My guess is you simply need a better cpu cooler, and he is again correct about needing at least 2 case fans. one to bring air ina nd one to take the air out. The idea is to have a constant flow. best of luck!
January 26, 2013 12:31:31 AM

I have 2 fans besides the cpu fan. I am using the cpu heatsink/fan that came with it. It is supposed to work. I have not overclocked or anything.
January 26, 2013 1:22:36 AM

Well I'm pretty sure I put the thermal paste on correctly. So is there any other reason why my CPU would be that hot? It's brand new.
a c 105 à CPUs
January 26, 2013 1:24:16 AM

er maybe the cooler isnt doing its job? maybe time for an aftermarket cooler.

a b à CPUs
January 26, 2013 2:21:37 PM

Sathid said:
Well I'm pretty sure I put the thermal paste on correctly. So is there any other reason why my CPU would be that hot? It's brand new.

make sure the heatsink itself has pressure down on the CPU. also, what is your room temp?
January 26, 2013 3:25:08 PM

Really? Nobody has thought maybe his CPU is messed up? Properly applied thermal paste and stock cooling would never result in temps of 60 at idle. This has to be a CPU problem.
a c 105 à CPUs
January 26, 2013 3:26:02 PM

well u can always rma the cpu if u continue to have issues, how long ago did u buy the cpu?

January 27, 2013 6:52:02 AM

I was somewhat misinformed at first. The temps I was looking at were in BIOS. When in windows the temps are slightly lower around 49-50c at idle. Am I correct in thinking this is still too high? I have AMD cool n quiet enabled and everything. I made sure the heatsink was seated firmly in place but still getting these temps. Just watching a vid on youtube brings the temp up to 55-57c. I got this cpu just a few days ago. Jan 24th I believe. Should I return it for a new one? or is there still possibly something I'm missing?

Thanks for all the help so far btw everyone.
January 27, 2013 9:56:28 AM

Did you remember to remove the old thermal paste before reapplying the new bit (you will need alcohol remover to remove the old bit on the CPU and The heatsinkl) and make sure your heatsink is correctly mounted .
a c 105 à CPUs
January 27, 2013 1:31:40 PM

yes, id recommand that if ur getting these temps, maybe do this.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/howto_install_c...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3gx6c62D7I

also u need to use 100% rubbing alcohol.

One-hundred percent alcohol can be purchased, in most cases, at your local supermarket, mass-merchandise retailer, or pharmacy. It is, also, carried by chemical retailers, either local or online. Some internet pharmacies will carry this product and will ship it to certain areas

also use a micro-cloth.

and id recommand some 5$ artic cooler paste.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

should do the trick :) 

than comeback and let us know the results.

because those original temps where different these sound high.

January 28, 2013 12:28:11 AM

ciaranmc2011 said:
Did you remember to remove the old thermal paste before reapplying the new bit (you will need alcohol remover to remove the old bit on the CPU and The heatsinkl) and make sure your heatsink is correctly mounted .

Yes I removed all the old thermal paste on cpu and heatsink. I applied some $10 cooler master paste to replace the stock stuff. Nothing has changed.
a c 105 à CPUs
January 28, 2013 12:36:25 AM

do u have the latest bios for ur pc, and all the latest drivers?

January 28, 2013 5:22:15 AM

iceclock said:
do u have the latest bios for ur pc, and all the latest drivers?

Yes the very first thing I did after installing windows was update all drivers and bios.

Best solution

a b à CPUs
January 28, 2013 5:44:10 AM

Sathid said:
I was somewhat misinformed at first. The temps I was looking at were in BIOS. When in windows the temps are slightly lower around 49-50c at idle. Am I correct in thinking this is still too high? I have AMD cool n quiet enabled and everything. I made sure the heatsink was seated firmly in place but still getting these temps. Just watching a vid on youtube brings the temp up to 55-57c. I got this cpu just a few days ago. Jan 24th I believe. Should I return it for a new one? or is there still possibly something I'm missing?

Thanks for all the help so far btw everyone.

Sathid, BIOS reports temps higher than windows. It is a normal thing. BIOS is a single thread busy non ending loop that keeps waiting for user input. At BIOS level, Cool&Quiet or for Intel users Speedstep, do not activate. Your cpu runs one core at its maximum default non turbo speed.

Seeing 60+ temps in BIOS is normal for almost everyone with Stock cooler and 30C ambient. I get to 66-68C if I stay in BIOS for long time during Indian summer (34-36C ambient, no air conditioning). With current 30C ambient, my 2400 sits at 32-33 C idle(windows)/ 61-62 BIOS.

What BIOS will never the less ensure is you do not jump your CPU TDP. There are fail safes that will turn off your cpu in case that happens so relax.

Stop re-seating your HSF. you've done a decent job.

good luck
-satyam
January 28, 2013 6:09:58 AM

Get a bit of glad wrap and put it around ur finger, spread the tim so its covered the whole cpu but thin as possible
January 28, 2013 6:31:47 AM

Hi all,

Just to make sure I went and used the MSI live update for BIOS in BIOS. Seems to have rectified the problem. Now running at a stable 36-37c.

I'd like to thank everyone for the help and your patience with my noobishness. It is truly appreciated.
January 28, 2013 6:32:32 AM

Best answer selected by Sathid.
a c 105 à CPUs
January 28, 2013 3:31:58 PM

coolio.

!