Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First Build Ever - Suggestions?

Last response: in Systems
September 11, 2012 6:50:10 PM

Well here is what I'm planning to buy, hopefully soon. I've actually already gotten the GPU, so no suggestions needed there. Also, make sure I'm not blatantly forgetting an important part :p 

Case: Corsair 500R, White – Amazon
GPU: Gigabyte OC HD 7950 - Newegg
CPU: i5-3570K – Newegg
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus - Newegg
Hard Drive, HDD: - Western Digital 2 TB, 7200 RPM, WD2002FAEX
Hard Drive, SSD: Samsung 830, 128 GB – Newegg
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Low Profile, 1600Mhz, 8GB – Newegg
PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
Optical Drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner, Model DRW-24B1ST - Newegg
MOBO: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg

I am mostly wondering about two things. One, is the 750W PSU good enough for if/when I decide to crossfire my 7950 in the future? Also, is the ASRock MOBO fine? Seems cheap/too good to be true. Can I OC decently on it? I was also looking at the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H or ASUS P8Z77-V PRO but they are more expensive and I wasn't for sure what their advantages are. Thanks!

More about : build suggestions

September 11, 2012 7:00:26 PM

Quote:
I am mostly wondering about two things. One, is the 750W PSU good enough for if/when I decide to crossfire my 7950 in the future? Also, is the ASRock MOBO fine? Seems cheap/too good to be true. Can I OC decently on it? I was also looking at the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H or ASUS P8Z77-V PRO but they are more expensive and I wasn't for sure what their advantages are. Thanks!

Yes - 750W will handle 2 x 7950 just fine.

The Asrock motherboard is an excellent choice, as is the Gigabyte and Asus models. They're all about the same feature sets.

And yes you chose the low profile Vengeance. :sol: 
m
l
September 11, 2012 10:41:01 PM

Yah haha, didn't want to risk any space issues with those silly heatspreaders (although I doubt that will be a problem with the case I'm getting)
m
l
Related resources
September 11, 2012 11:28:54 PM

biggawhat said:
Yah haha, didn't want to risk any space issues with those silly heatspreaders (although I doubt that will be a problem with the case I'm getting)

Yeah if I had a dollar for every time I have had to explain that to people here... :lol: 

I've definitely seen that issue in person now so I know to advise against it.
m
l

Best solution

September 12, 2012 12:04:17 AM

if you're only going to play games then you should get a console!

*consoles are cheaper
*consoles have more games and a lot of exclusives
*you don't have to update your console every month to play the latest games.
*keyboard & mouse are too hard, game-pad FTW
*you don't have to assemble it
*consoles have more features than a PC like xbox live and PSN
September 12, 2012 1:11:48 AM

idroid said:
if you're only going to play games then you should get a console!

*consoles are cheaper
*consoles have more games and a lot of exclusives
*you don't have to update your console every month to play the latest games.
*keyboard & mouse are too hard, game-pad FTW
*you don't have to assemble it
*consoles have more features than a PC like xbox live and PSN

You know what, you've convinced me. I can't figure out this danged mouse contraption. Hell I had to get my friend, who has a Ph.D. in wizardry, to type this post.
m
l
September 12, 2012 1:19:03 AM

biggawhat said:
You know what, you've convinced me. I can't figure out this danged mouse contraption. Hell I had to get my friend, who has a Ph.D. in wizardry, to type this post.

hahahahahaha you really made me laugh with the Ph.D in wizardry thing... i was just trying to be a little humorous, i prefer a PC over a console... no doubt about it.
m
l
September 12, 2012 2:34:11 AM

On a serious note :)  Any recommendations about whether I should get a 2 TB drive, or 2 x 1 TB drives in RAID config to mirror all of my data? The more I read these hard drive reviews the more I'm convinced they all fail within a year lol. I know it is a skewed crowd rating them, but still.
m
l
September 12, 2012 2:50:48 AM

biggawhat said:
On a serious note :)  Any recommendations about whether I should get a 2 TB drive, or 2 x 1 TB drives in RAID config to mirror all of my data? The more I read these hard drive reviews the more I'm convinced they all fail within a year lol. I know it is a skewed crowd rating them, but still.

Well, if you're really worried about your data then you should buy a second HDD and put them in RAID-1 mode but since i don't have much sensitive data i'd go for dual HDDs and put them in RAID-0 for more performance.
m
l
September 12, 2012 5:35:25 AM

Alright, well I'm just gonna go with a single 1 TB for now, to save some money. Might add another later. Just ordered all the parts!! Thanks
m
l
September 12, 2012 5:37:44 AM

Best answer selected by BiggaWhat.
m
l
!