I catch the meaning, but from whence does "imba" derive?

Thanks!

--
Nabuu, Tauren druid on Dethecus.
Also (rarely):

"Nabuu" <Nabuu@*YOUR-PANTS*ManyFriends.com> wrote:

> I catch the meaning, but from whence does "imba" derive?

From "imbalanced", me thinks.

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (60) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (21) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]

"Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote:

> correct spelling is "is teh imba wtfpwn"

kthxbye.

Chris

--

In article <4327f0be$0$1153$5402220f@news.sunrise.ch>,
"Christian Stauffer" <wildcard666@bluewin.ch> wrote:

> "Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > correct spelling is "is teh imba wtfpwn"

> kthxbye.

I'm following this entire discussion, except for the part where someone
answered the original question which was: what does "imba" mean?

Or, more importantly, from where does it come?

(It's easy enough to see from whence "teh" or "pwn" come, but I'm not
quite getting "imba.")

Thanks!

--

Nabuu <Nabuu@*YOUR-PANTS*ManyFriends.com> wrote in news:Nabuu-
18ECFE.07384314092005@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com:

> In article <4327f0be$0$1153$5402220f@news.sunrise.ch>,
> "Christian Stauffer" <wildcard666@bluewin.ch> wrote:
>
>> "Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> > correct spelling is "is teh imba wtfpwn"
>
>> kthxbye.
>
> I'm following this entire discussion, except for the part where someone
> answered the original question which was: what does "imba" mean?
>
> Or, more importantly, from where does it come?
>
> (It's easy enough to see from whence "teh" or "pwn" come, but I'm not
> quite getting "imba.")
>
> Thanks!

I'll just give you my own take on it. Whereas "teh" and "pwn" obviously
come from common typo's that have found their way into internet gaming pop
culture, I had never heard of "imba" until I started frequenting a.g.w. My
feeling is that it is just someone's attempt to create yet another (as if
we need any more) l33t-speak term.

I'm of the opinion that when people use the terms "teh" and "pwn" they are
paying homage through satire to the goofy side of internet gaming culture,
whereas the coining of the phrase,"imba", was just someone's cheesy attempt
to be a part of it. "teh" and "pwn" grew on their own. "imba" was someone's
conscious effort to achieve the same effect.

Here's my own cheesy contribution. I'll call that sort of thing "flop"
culture. :p

--
Richard Carpenter

Dave a écrit :

> Richard Carpenter wrote:
>
> >>And it's not native to AGW. It's forum-speak.
> >

> > I'll just say I can't recall ever having seen it in any other forums or
> > Usenet groups that I've frequented. Didn't mean to imply that I thought
> > someone here made it up.
>

> http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=imba

A new interesting twist!

'IMBA means Imbalanced, mostly used in WarCraft3 by newbies who are not
acquainted with armor and attack types.nightelf palyer: "imba mortals
pwning my huntz"'

So there, it comes from Warcraft 3, probably from the official
forums... I personally learned it in WoW when I was duelling a shaman
who beat me in less than 5 seconds thanks to a couple criticals. He was
jumping all around dressed à la ninja and after 4 seconds he said
"hahaha imba" to comfort me.

"Richard Carpenter" <Rich_Carpenter@spamsuxmsn.com> wrote:

> I never had any doubt as to what it meant. However, as the OP asked, and
> then confirmed, the origin was what was in question.
>
>> And it's not native to AGW. It's forum-speak.

I got it the first time from our guilds dudespeak champion, the
triggerhappy mage Xennies :eek:)

> I'll just say I can't recall ever having seen it in any other forums or
> Usenet groups that I've frequented. Didn't mean to imply that I thought
> someone here made it up.

Don't you read the official forums? Then you should know that all classes
are teh imba, and all of them are both too powerful and to gimped at the
same time!

Chris, teh imba dr00dpwnzor (<- i love this kind of speech, it's so
idiotic, the fun factor is beyond measurement)

--

"Christian Stauffer" <wildcard666@bluewin.ch> wrote in

> "Richard Carpenter" <Rich_Carpenter@spamsuxmsn.com> wrote:
>
>> I'll just say I can't recall ever having seen it in any other forums
>> or Usenet groups that I've frequented. Didn't mean to imply that I
>> thought someone here made it up.
>
> Don't you read the official forums? Then you should know that all
> classes are teh imba, and all of them are both too powerful and to
> gimped at the same time!

Heh. I try not to venture there any more often than necessary. I always
leave feeling that I'll never be clean again.

--
Richard Carpenter

Dave <dave@news.tk> wrote in news:dgbdaj$52v$1@pinatubo.switch.ch:

> Richard Carpenter wrote:
>
>>>And it's not native to AGW. It's forum-speak.
>>

>> I'll just say I can't recall ever having seen it in any other forums or
>> Usenet groups that I've frequented. Didn't mean to imply that I thought
>> someone here made it up.
>

> http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=imba

Strangely enough, I've never heard of the Urban Dictionary, either. Maybe I
just need to get out more.

--
Richard Carpenter