Sign in with
Your question

Repair? New build? or Prebuilt?

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
September 11, 2012 8:26:12 PM

Ok have not been on here in a few months. But i have ran into a problem. My cpu fan has become a problem. It runs some times and some times not at all. Now keep in mind i have had this pc since i first built it back in 2006. Before going on here is my specs:

Amd athlon 64 x2 4400+ toledo
CPU fan is the stock with the copper tubing
Tforce biostar 6100-939
3 kingstong 1 gig blue pc 3200 ram
windows xp home 32 bit
Case has 4 fans 1 on top (i really do not like having it ontop) 1 on the side and 2 in the rear

Parts i can definitely reuse
Monitor
Keyboard
Mouse
Speakers
Video card
Windows xp disc (the other parts i'm unsure of

Ok as you can see it is pretty dated. I have had no problems until recently when my motherboards on board card became wacky at times so i bought a 6450 radeon 1 gig video card and problem was fixed. But now with the cpu fan not working at times i'm convinced that my pc is on its last legs. I'm unsure how long it will last without the cpu fan working as it should (it still comes on at times its just no longer continuously running).

Now keep in mind i am on a very tight budget (very low income family). Meaning i need to get a new pc as cheaply as humanly possible. My options are repairing it. Doing a new build using as many of my old parts as possible (or not if i can replace them all relatively cheaply). Or to just buy a tower hence prebuilt (some of the cheapest of the cheap towers are an upgrade in themselves to me as my motherboard and processor are so old).

So i am seeking advice on what to do. What do i use my pc for? Light gaming (i never really care about maxing any setting just so long as i can play) web searching and watching videos online. The current game i am playing is Phantasy Star Online 2. Its required specs are :

RAM: 2 GB or more | HDD: More than 8GB
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 or higher
Graphics Card: GeForce 7800GT graphics card or better

I'm unsure about the recommended yet as it has not been released in the us yet (although you can play it online and by using an english patch understand a lot of it). So any advice would be appreciated as i've been racking my brain on my best options and googling a lot trying to explore my options has become a second job in itself. Preferable place for parts? I would say amazon simply as i can buy gift cards to get credit to buy parts and what not. And i live in the us and no living in the heart of west virginia the only pc type of store is the local walmart. So sadly almost all my purchases will have to be online.

http://www.apevia.com/ProductsInfo.asp?KEY=ATXA8NW-AL/5...

That is my case i am using

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And that is my current psu.

More about : repair build prebuilt

a b B Homebuilt system
September 11, 2012 9:42:25 PM

I know this is a daunting task. But i'm unsure if i am better off just buying a new prebuilt tower? Buying some replacement parts for my old pc? Or building a really cheap pc? Please keep in mind that the pc i repair/build/prebuilt will have to last a long time as i can not afford to have to replace it every 2-3 years or so.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 11, 2012 10:36:52 PM

Ready for mission impossible? (start mission impossible theme) i really want my option to be under $200.00. i know that it is not only mission impossible but probably also mission improbable. (end mission impossible theme). Am hoping it be a lot cheaper if i can reuse my old psu and case and windows xp disc (32 bit) and my old hdd and my ram (but betting reusing my ram may not be an option since my new motherboard may not be compatible. But here is hoping (crosses fingers).
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
September 12, 2012 4:36:31 AM

So no thoughts?
September 12, 2012 4:50:53 AM

u cant get a good pc under $200.
reusing parts might be bad.
u should take ur time and save up for a few months to get a better one.
September 12, 2012 4:52:11 AM

Have you tried replacing the fan?
a b B Homebuilt system
September 12, 2012 5:12:14 AM

evan1715 its not the whole pc i need. Just the tower if i were togo that route. And there are quite a few deals out there refurbished and what not for under $200.00. They may not be top of the line but many of them are leaps and bounds above what i have right now.

jd101 what am i to replace it with? I do not have any spare parts just laying around to be honest. And that combo deal may look nice but far out of my price range tbh. I mean you can even look at these 2 links:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Overstock/overs...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/refurb/refurb_s...

Most of those are well below $200.00 and it is possible to buy just the mother board processor and ram for under $200.00 as well if i'm able to salvage my hdd and use my graphics card and old case and psu which is one option i'm thinking of.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 12, 2012 5:26:29 AM

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n_operating_system_...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_p_n_operating...

Those are some pc's carried on amazon right now. Many under $200.00. I'm just trying to find the best possible deal i can get. Be it getting a new mobo cpu and ram, fixing up my old pc, or buying a prebuilt. With so many options though its over whelming to me to be honest. Especially since the last pc i built was 6 years ago. And there have been many pc's as well as cpu's and mobo that have come and gone since then.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 12, 2012 6:56:40 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Pentium-Dual-Core-Processor...

Read in http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-pc-overclock... That it is a decent cpu for gaming. And in that build they also had a decent mobo and ram recommend. I'm kinda looking for something similar if i'm doing a rebuild. I'm using windows xp 32 home any way so i can not really use over 4 gigs any way as it just won't handle more then 4 from what i understand.

I will have to replace my psu as well as my case fans eventually. But a rebuild with a mobo and cpu and ram like they used in the $500.00 is an ideal option i am looking at. Most of their budget was put into a $170.00 graphics card. But i plan to reuse my 6450 for a while more yet before upgrading to some thing better. And if i subtract the hdd the case and psu and optical drives the total cost would be around $184.00. So you can see while it be tough it is doable.
September 12, 2012 7:05:36 AM

you can build a cheap pc with just the tower only, for around £300 $350. I think the best thing is a cheap laptop as you get the monitor too then.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 12, 2012 7:08:29 AM

spat55 said:
you can build a cheap pc with just the tower only, for around £300 $350. I think the best thing is a cheap laptop as you get the monitor too then.

I already have a 20 inch monitor an acer p201w. And i am not personally big on laptops. Many are far over priced when compared to performance of a desktop.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 12, 2012 3:04:43 PM

So any recommendations?
a b B Homebuilt system
September 12, 2012 6:45:56 PM

To be honest what i would really love to do is to do a newer build. An i5 processor with a great mobo (some upgrade options for later on) bump up the ram to max within the system (i know a lot of things do not use that much ram but i'd like to have it and not need it then need it and not have it you know?) get windows 7 64 bit a newer hdd and optical drive and a new case and power supply with plenty of fans for cooling. And use my hd 6450 until i am able to bump up the graphics card later on. But right now and for the foreseeable future its not really a viable option to be honest.

So right now its either doing a cheap upgrade a rebuild or to buy repair parts for my old pc. I could probably replace the cpu fan cheaply enough. But seeing how my mobo and cpu are so old any way i thought maybe a cheap upgrade of cpu mobo and ram would be best then later upgrade to windows 7. And maybe later on when prices come down on the other cpu's replace it with a newer one. But some of the prebuilts i can buy pretty cheaply are also upgrades in themselves over what i already have. So as you can see i'm going in circles with my logic. >_<

My problem is how to best use the $200.00 i'm planning to shell out. I could as i said replace the cpu fan for well under $200.00 but what happens then if my mobo cpu or psu decide to take a dirt nap? It has been 6 years lol so its entirely possible. Prebuilt does not give a lot of options for upgrades you are almost always stuck with what you get (i think of prebuilts like dell pc's ect). Now replacing the mobo and the cpu and ram sound good but then i have to be concerned about my psu dying as well. >_<
a b B Homebuilt system
September 13, 2012 3:37:57 AM

It seems my cpu fan is acting strange. I am unsure whether it is a mechanical failure or a software one. Earlier today it kicked up and was running at almost 5000 rpm. But when i had looked it up a long time ago its max rpm was 3000....so how was it able to run at 5000 is my first question. And why does it only run when it wants to is my second. I am using biostar's fan conditioner utility that came with the drivers for my mobo. I'm unsure what is going on with my cpu fan to be honest. Its baffling me.
September 14, 2012 9:54:17 AM

I think its time to look at an upgrade tbh. What you could do is grab a relatively decent motherboard with a good wide variety socket like the 1155 socket. This way you can still upgrade your cpu later for minimal cost.

CPU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That should be a decent start to upgrading your computer. The rest you should be able to upgrade individually at a later stage.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 14, 2012 10:44:57 AM

Yeah i am wanting to upgrade. But really i want to do a new build start fresh on all fronts but getting the cash to do it is my only problem lol And ihad thought of getting an 1155 socket board and a cheap dual processor to hold me over until i can find a way to get enough together to do a decent build. But if i order itwill have to be from amazon as i do not use or ever want a credit card to be honest. Through amazon i can just buy a gift card to make my purchases its much easier to deal with.

With the new build i'm gonna keep it simple i think as i do not over clock and have no plans to do sli or crossfire. So a basic motherboard with a high ram limit would suit me best. That way i can upgrade my ram later on to maximize my pc. But first i need to get my pc to where i don't have to worry about it then try to get the funds for a new much more powerful build.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 14, 2012 10:40:49 PM

My route i am seriously considering is a decent cheap 1155 intel processor (one that can let me game comfortably) and a cheap (but decent) 1155 mobo and about 4 gig of ram (i'm on windows xp 32 home so i can not use more then 4 now any way).

Now keep in mind i have almost all the other components you know windows os a case psu hdd and dvd drive graphics card. So i am looking for the cheapest of the cheap for a mobo cpu and ram (that will work well in my current set up by just replacing my amd athlon 64 x2 4400+ toledo biostar 6100-939 mobo and 3 1 gig sticks of kingston blue pc3200 ram).

I play games yes but usually on the lowest settings any way (i personally could care less how pretty it is so long as it plays well). I never plan to over clock or use dual graphics cards. I may want to put windows 7 64 bit os in later and boost my ram a bit later on and maybe a newer better graphics card later on down the line. And maybe when the prices come down within my budget range upgrading to a much better processor.

But as of right now i am mainly wanting to just replace my mobo and cpu and ram as cheaply as possible and if its possible make this an upgrade over my current cpu mobo and ram. So could i have a few suggestions on some cheap but good components to replace and upgrade my current set up? I'd love to keep it under $100.00 bucks but can try to up it to as much as $150.00 if need be. Amazon has quite a few bundle deals many i've seen under $130.00 for cpu ram and mobo. So it is possible and could you post links to them via amazon? If so that would be great thanks.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 15, 2012 9:43:34 PM

By the way i am going to be buying on or about the first of october. So a little over 2 weeks from now (17 days roughly). I'm just wanting a great but cheap mobo a cheap but great cpu and cheap but dependable ram. Under 100 if possible if not then for 150. I think the first of november i'll replace my case fans and my psu then (they are working fine but if i'm gonna start replacing things and upgrading then i might as well go all out right?). Then in december or january i'll replace my hdd and my windows.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 16, 2012 8:07:59 PM

So no ideas on purchases?
a b B Homebuilt system
September 17, 2012 2:11:16 AM

Help???
a b B Homebuilt system
September 17, 2012 12:36:09 PM

Pease help?
a b B Homebuilt system
September 17, 2012 7:55:46 PM

Pretty please?