Single GPU eqivilent of Crossfire 7950's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

simpson52

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
I recently got a computer with crossfire 7950's and I've been in driver hell ever since.

After weeks of troubleshooting and constant testing I've decided crossfire is not worth the trouble. Can I get a recommendation on any SINGLE gpu cards with a equivalent (or close enough) performance to crossfire 7950's?

Not only would the card name be appreciated, but also the brand of the card (like gigabyte, sapphire). AMD and Nvida cards are both welcome.

Kamen_BG

Distinguished
Like he said the closest card performance wise is another Dual GPU Card :D.You really cant get that much performance from one GPU.

If youre going to overclock you should take a look at these two
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161412
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127672

If you want the best performance without overclocking this HD 7970 is the way to go :)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131471

Even if you go with the overclocked HD 7970 Vortex you will get only 75% of the FPS the HD 7950's give you.

KidABear

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
While I understand the frustration, I would suggest waiting it out a bit. Drivers will improve (I hope).

I have crossfire 6970s and was in the same boat as you. My system was built specifically for BF3 and I experienced nothing but frustration with the beta and then a few weeks of the full game. I was considering scrapping the whole setup and doing as you are contemplating.

Sure enough, waited a few weeks, drivers matured, and my system ran most games flawlessly. If I encountered any issues, it was generally in older games that weren't as graphically demanding. Crossfire could be disabled accordingly with settings still on high.

dalmvern

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Being that the 7950 is almost top of the line for ATI right now, there are no cards that will even come close to matching a crossfire 7950 setup (when its working). As panwala pointed out, the GTX 690 will be the closest you can find, its basically a 2 x GTX 680 SLi setup in a single unit for $1000 if you can find it.

Short of that, get a 7970 and overclock the piss out of it, but it will not be close to the full performance potential of your 7950 xfire.

Perhaps you can explain the problems you are having with crossfire. I don't believe many others are experiencing many issues. Is it a specific game that has issues, or all and what is the rest of your system, monitor included.

joedjnpc

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
What kind of driver issues are you actually suffering? It could be something to do with your computer or how you installed the drivers themselves... You won't get that performance out of a single GPU and I find it hard to believe that the issues are that sever this far after release.

simpson52

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012

What exactly is this ULPS?

Sorry I've only recently entered the whole custom computer scheme.

How do I disable it?

simpson52

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012

Ok i've just disabled ULPS and so far everything seems to be going swimmingly (although my GPU drivers have chosen to work for more then 15 minutes beforehand)

I'll get back to you guys on this.

simpson52

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012

CAP profiles?

Oh and one more question, will ULPS be off forever (like if I restart the computer, will it not automatically turn off)

Flareside

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
CAP profiles are small files that help programs preform better when using crossfire. if you follow the link i posted above and look at the third item on the list it is 12.7 CAP1 which is the profiles for crossfire.
Flare

Status
Not open for further replies.