Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Epson P-2000 Multimedia Storage Viewer - upgrade firmware?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 22, 2005 1:53:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Epson P-2000 Multimedia Storage Viewer

This otherwise excellent unit does not seem to be able to
enlarge RAW-files from Canon 1D Mk.II and Canon 1Ds Mk.II -
is there an upgrade to the firmware for this device that
allows for enlarging such files?

Regards,
Carsten Arnholm, Oslo, NORWAY
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 22, 2005 1:53:30 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Carsten Arnholm wrote:
> Epson P-2000 Multimedia Storage Viewer
>
> This otherwise excellent unit does not seem to be able to
> enlarge RAW-files from Canon 1D Mk.II and Canon 1Ds Mk.II -
> is there an upgrade to the firmware for this device that
> allows for enlarging such files?
>
> Regards,
> Carsten Arnholm, Oslo, NORWAY

Epson have firmware upgrades on their Web site, now at V2.04.
Which version do you have?

See:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0507/05072201epson_p2000fw...

David
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 22, 2005 4:31:35 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"David J Taylor"
<david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid>
skrev i melding
news:nhuYe.113188$G8.92435@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Carsten Arnholm wrote:
>> Epson P-2000 Multimedia Storage Viewer
>>
>> This otherwise excellent unit does not seem to be able to
>> enlarge RAW-files from Canon 1D Mk.II and Canon 1Ds
>> Mk.II -
>> is there an upgrade to the firmware for this device that
>> allows for enlarging such files?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Carsten Arnholm, Oslo, NORWAY
>
> Epson have firmware upgrades on their Web site, now at
> V2.04.
> Which version do you have?
>
> See:
>
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0507/05072201epson_p2000fw...
>
> David

Yes, that is correct, and firmware V2.04 is what is
indicated om my Epson P-2000 Multimedia Storage Viewer.

However, as already said, the unit does not seem to to be
able to enlarge RAW-files from Canon 1D Mk.II and Canon 1Ds
Mk.II - of course, there is a possibility that I am doing
something wrong.

Regards,
Carsten Arnholm, Oslo, NORWAY
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 22, 2005 6:01:51 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Carsten Arnholm" <carnholm@online.no> schreef in bericht
news:kradnV1Q_aWf_q_eRVnzvA@telenor.com...
> Epson P-2000 Multimedia Storage Viewer
>
> This otherwise excellent unit does not seem to be able to
> enlarge RAW-files from Canon 1D Mk.II and Canon 1Ds Mk.II -
> is there an upgrade to the firmware for this device that
> allows for enlarging such files?
>
> Regards,
> Carsten Arnholm, Oslo, NORWAY
>
>
>

According to page 19 of the manual, zooming of RAW-images is not possible:

"RAW files do not support slide shows, zooming or direct printing from the
P-2000."


Lucas
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 23, 2005 12:39:51 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Carsten Arnholm" <carnholm@online.no> wrote:
>
> However, as already said, the unit does not seem to to be able to enlarge
> RAW-files from Canon 1D Mk.II and Canon 1Ds Mk.II - of course, there is a
> possibility that I am doing something wrong.

I was under the impression that it can't enlarge the RAW files from _any_
digital camera. All it does is display the embedded thumbnail from the RAW
file. And those don't have enough pixels in them to enlarge.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 23, 2005 4:02:10 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Carsten Arnholm wrote:
> Epson P-2000 Multimedia Storage Viewer
>
> This otherwise excellent unit does not seem to be able to
> enlarge RAW-files from Canon 1D Mk.II and Canon 1Ds Mk.II -
> is there an upgrade to the firmware for this device that
> allows for enlarging such files?
>
> Regards,
> Carsten Arnholm, Oslo, NORWAY

No.

The reason is that enlarging RAW files means having to PROCESS them.
This is a tremendously processor-intensive action.

For those cameras, the natural solution would be to shoot simultaneous
RAW+jpeg (perhaps at a smaller jpeg setting) so you can inspect images more
closely. This way, you'll have a clear image to look over, but the full
power of the raw file as well.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 27, 2005 5:55:05 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Lucas" <l.cauwels@hccnet.nl> skrev i melding
news:43329ad9$0$773$3a628fcd@reader10.nntp.hccnet.nl...
>
> "Carsten Arnholm" <carnholm@online.no> schreef in bericht
> news:kradnV1Q_aWf_q_eRVnzvA@telenor.com...
>> Epson P-2000 Multimedia Storage Viewer
>>
>> This otherwise excellent unit does not seem to be able to
>> enlarge RAW-files from Canon 1D Mk.II and Canon 1Ds
>> Mk.II -
>> is there an upgrade to the firmware for this device that
>> allows for enlarging such files?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Carsten Arnholm, Oslo, NORWAY
>>
>>
>>
>
> According to page 19 of the manual, zooming of RAW-images
> is not possible:
>
> "RAW files do not support slide shows, zooming or direct
> printing from the
> P-2000."
>
>
> Lucas

Yes, thanks for pointing that out.
What confused me was this statement from Epson which is in
their download files for formware 3.04 :

**********************
Firmware revision version 02.04
Released 1st July 2005

The main enhanced functions of firmware version 02.04 are:
Expanded RAW file support
The following cameras are now supported:

Nikon
D2X / D2H / D1H / D1X / D100 / D70/ D2Hs / D70s / D50

KONICA MINOLTA
Dynax 7 DIGITAL

PENTAX *ist DS / *ist D

Canon
EOS 300D / D60 / D30/ 10D / 20D / 1D Mark II / 1Ds Mark II
/ Rebel XT

EPSON R-D1

The following can be displayed only as a thumbnail, not as a
full screen image
OLYMPUS E-1 / E-300

**********************

Regards,
Carsten J. Arnholm
Oslo, Norway
!