Graphics card compatibility questions.

I have the following build:

GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 motherboard

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Power Supply

I play some high performance games like Skyrim, Mirror's Edge, and Assassin's Creed. I tried an EVGA Nvidia gtx 550 ti (1GB) card but it died on me within two weeks.

I sent it back and am running off of the motherboard graphics. I am looking for a new, relatively cheap graphics card with good performance and lifetime. I saw these two...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130660

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102908

...and I was hoping that someone could tell me the pros and cons of them. I also wanted to know if having an Intel processor would cause problems with the AMD card.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Calvin
6 answers Last reply
More about graphics card compatibility questions
  1. What resolution do you usually game at ? If you are using 1080p, then go for at least 6870/560 Ti. If you are below 1080p, and you have no immediate plans to get a new monitor, then the 6850 is fine, and my preference is for that over the plain non-Ti 560.
  2. They are both pretty similar. The 560 will be faster, but draw a bit more power. I have a 560 but am about to sell it as I bought a 670. It ran the mentioned games at max settings. Don't know about Assassin's creed, as I have never played. As a benchmark, it will run Battlefield 3 on a mix between medium and high settings and get 60 frames. On full ultra it will get 30 fps.

    Edit: I played it on 1080p

    Also, having an intel processor will not negatively affect an AMD video card. In fact, it will help as the intel CPU is going to be faster than its AMD counterparts.
  3. Maxx_Power said:
    What resolution do you usually game at ? If you are using 1080p, then go for at least 6870/560 Ti. If you are below 1080p, and you have no immediate plans to get a new monitor, then the 6850 is fine, and my preference is for that over the plain non-Ti 560.



    Thanks for the info! I usually play at 720 but I plan on getting a better monitor and going 1080
  4. For the money, this card's performance is hard to beat: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161389

    For $10 more you get an Nvidia with good cooling: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121446

    For the price range you've implied, the GTX 560 and the 6870 are your best choices and have very similar performance. Both those chips are based on mature architecture and processes so the drivers for both are great. In other words, they are both rock solid gaming cards. And there is no problem at all using an AMD chip with an Intel processor.
  5. roadkill922 said:
    They are both pretty similar. The 560 will be faster, but draw a bit more power. I have a 560 but am about to sell it as I bought a 670. It ran the mentioned games at max settings. Don't know about Assassin's creed, as I have never played. As a benchmark, it will run Battlefield 3 on a mix between medium and high settings and get 60 frames. On full ultra it will get 30 fps.

    Edit: I played it on 1080p

    Also, having an intel processor will not negatively affect an AMD video card. In fact, it will help as the intel CPU is going to be faster than its AMD counterparts.


    Thanks! I just wanted to ask: Did you have good luck with your 560 Ti?
  6. AzurePegasus7 said:
    Thanks! I just wanted to ask: Did you have good luck with your 560 Ti?


    I had great luck with the 560. Every game I own is "playable" at the highest settings. Although in some games I will turn down the settings a little to get a solid 60 frames all of the time. The only reason I upgraded to the 670 was because I wanted to play on multiple monitors. If it wasn't for that, I would have stayed with the 560 for a couple more years at least. It is the non ti version btw.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Intel Graphics Product