~100 dollar intel motherboard? Suggestions?

ctomster

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2012
I'm trying to piece together a cheap gaming build. Right now my budget is around $650. (maybe a bit more)

I am pretty set in going the Intel route, I was wondering if anybody could point me to some quality mobo's. I'm hoping to find something that I can invest in and build on.
Eventually I would like to add a SSD and have room for at least two hard drives.
Im not sure of what other utilities I can add, but being able to upgrade is important for me!

My budget for a mobo is about $80-100 but if you have reasons on why I should spend more I'd love to hear them!

Solution
Do you plan to crosfire or ssl? Max ram? Windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit? Or windows xp? 32 bit only uses about 4 gigs max of ram while 64 will use alot more. And knowing if you need to buy windows or not. I know you were basicly asking for advice on a motherboard but these things are also important. What might be best is for you to post what you do not need to buy and you budget and let others recommend builds for you based on what you like.

Do you prefer some brands (like nvidia or ati graphics card as 1 example?) where do you plan to buy (tigerdirect newegg amazon?) ssl or crossfire. Then others can give you their idea of what would work best. If all you need is the cpu motherboard and ram then thats what people can recommend within your...

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Knowing the cpu you are using (to know what type of motherboard) as well as your chosen ram to know what type of motherboard you want would be useful. Most people choose the cpu then mother board then lastly ram to maximize their budget and ensure better compatibility.

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Yeah as an i3 and an i5 use a specific mother board. A link to the one you are most interested in would help as well. And knowing if you plan to over clock or not (some of the i3 and i5 can be) would also help in choosing a mother board. And there are like 3 types of processors in the i3 and i5 line lol sandy bridge ivy bridge and first generations of those. i Know the i5 2500k is popular in gaming builds because of the over clocking just to use one example.

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Do you plan to crosfire or ssl? Max ram? Windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit? Or windows xp? 32 bit only uses about 4 gigs max of ram while 64 will use alot more. And knowing if you need to buy windows or not. I know you were basicly asking for advice on a motherboard but these things are also important. What might be best is for you to post what you do not need to buy and you budget and let others recommend builds for you based on what you like.

Do you prefer some brands (like nvidia or ati graphics card as 1 example?) where do you plan to buy (tigerdirect newegg amazon?) ssl or crossfire. Then others can give you their idea of what would work best. If all you need is the cpu motherboard and ram then thats what people can recommend within your budget. But if you need windows a case and a psu and a graphics card then they need to be able to work withinit. So basicly what all do you need to complete the build and your max budget. This will help you out more i think.

Solution

ctomster

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2012
Thanks, I think those are the variables that I need to consider when I look into things more. You really helped a lot!
I realize the answer to your question is (im not sure because i really want EVERYTHING). haha of course I have to pick and choose right? :)

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
No problem. And yes ultimately you have to pick what will work best for you over all. People here can comment on your build and make suggestions but over all it comes down to what you want and what you need and finding a balance between the 2. Wish you luck and hope i have pointed you in the right direction.