Genuine Windows

hmims

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
I have a XPS 8300 pc and took out the HDD and placed into my custom built PC. Now i have a problem with my windows saying that its not genuine. I'm not sure why that is.

When i try to Activate windows with the product key it gives a couple of options , buy a new key, put a new one in, contact dell.

I tried using a different key from another windows 7 that i have and that didn't work ether.

Any ideas why windows wont activate even though it was activated before i pulled the hdd out?

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Yup and from MS point of view you have a violation of their licensing agreement going on. Dell buys a license with let's say 100 installs (OEM keys). Each one is for one system only. You are trying to use a single use key on a second system. Solution is to buy your own OEM copy. Also since you have a new system do a clean install if you can.

hmims

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
Thanks.... i deceided to make a backup of the hdd so i can put it on a replaced hdd for my xps. I'll make a clean install with my other windows.

However i don't understand why i cant just switch the window key and have it work?

Hi :)

Because its illegal....

All the best Brett :)