Vantec Stealth FAN...

Raczyk

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Hey all.. I want to quiet down my 250 Watt PSU.. Was thinking of replacing existing fan with a Vantec Stealth FAN rated at 21dB, 27CFM @ 2050RPM. Would also place rubber washers around screws and some vinyl tape between the case and the fan...
How helpful would this be in reducing noise? Is this fan
any good ?

http://vantecusa.com/stealth_fan.html

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
I have a 80mm vantec stealth. I also have lots of other quiet 80mm fans.

The stealth is quiet, though there is nothing magical about it as such... it is just a slow 80mm fan.
Still has a ball bearing buzz to it though, and the panaflo low speed fans are quieter.

Be careful though, messing around with ones Powersupply unit can be a dangerous thing to do.

Personally i would save myself the trouble and get a new PSU with silent fans in it.

<b>Damn War! I'm too young to watch other people die!</b>
<A HREF="http://members.iinet.net.au/~lhgpoobaa/images" target="_new">My Images!</A>

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
I gotta agree with PooBaa on this one. Just get an Enermax with the silent fans already in it. It'll give you enough snot for future power needs, and be quiet as all heck. Don't go messing with your power supply. If you plug it back in and you screw up somewhere, you might burn your house down (not kidding).

XP 2500+ Barton @ 2241Mhz
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
MSI GF3Ti 500
16x DVD-ROM
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Onboard audio

Raczyk

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
I don't understand how i can mess up the PSU and burn my house lol..

I dont want to spend alot of money on a new PSU, if i can just make it quiet by buying a quality fan.. My concern is only how effective will this be in reducing sound emision?

Has enybody actualy done this, and can give their impressions.

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
It can reduce noise, but I would just get a new power supply. Seriously, my Enermax is the quietest component in my computer. If you hook it up wrong, you can blow your power supply and possibly your house's breaker as well. I wouldn't risk messing with something as powerful as that. It's like playing chicken with a train - what if you trip? That train ain't gonna stop.

A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
MSI GF3Ti 500
16x DVD-ROM
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Onboard audio

Raczyk

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
How is it possible to hook up a fan in the PSU incorrectly?. Its just a red and white white wire you have to cut and connect to the new fan. and put it back in, done. I just dont understand how it will case the exposion of the PSU, i understand it overheating and burning out, but fire? Please elaborate more on how this can happen.

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
You can get people psyched out by all the colors and the shiny things inside a PS and screw it up. Don't ask me how people can screw things up. Why do you think I have a tech support job? Come on, give me a break here.

A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
MSI GF3Ti 500
16x DVD-ROM
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Onboard audio

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you fail to completely drain the capacitors on a PSU before working inside, you could receive a severe shock. This could actually stop your heart. What might catch fire is <i>you</i>.

Working inside the PSU while it is still connected to the mainboard could cause a surge that will damage the computer, and/or even blow household fuses. And yes, cheap PSU's have been known to explode under these circumstances.

If you don't fully understand what I mean by any of these things, then you should have this done by someone who is qualified, such as a repair technician at a local computer shop.

You should also own and know how to use a voltmeter, so you can test the unit after changing the fan. Be advised that some units require some small skill with a soldering iron, so be prepared for that as well.

I will also go on record as recommending that you tighten your belt and make the investment in a quality PSU with quiet fans. 250W is not enough to drive most modern systems, and if your current PSU is old enough that the fan is beginning to wear out and make noise, then it's probably time for you to consider an upgrade in any case, instead of taking the chance of accidentally fooling around and hurting yourself.

But that's just my opinion ... take it or leave it.

If you must do this:

<A HREF="http://www.phamcomputer.com/PhC PSMod1.htm" target="_new">Replacing a Power Supply Fan With a Performance Case Fan</A>

<A HREF="http://www.digital-explosion.co.uk/index.php?articleID=24" target="_new">Changing your PSU Fan</A>

Toey

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=328&s=91c282f2e5207e99b7a652ee13b3512a" target="_new"><font color=green>My System Rigs</font color=green></A>

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/" target="_new"><b><font color=purple>BTVILLARIN.com</font color=purple></b></A> - <i><font color=orange>Your Computer Questions Answered</font color=orange></i>

Raczyk

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Hey thx for the links. Like I said I dont want a new PSU for this older system... I will probabbly use it for a linux server or something when i make my new system later on.

And by the way, my fan does make a grinding noise but that usually fixes itself when the computer in on for a while. If not I give it a good wack to the babk of the case.. :) (Once I hit it so hard the PC restarded,, oops..heh) This noise means that the Fan is dying and not the PSU?, right

What retard would work on a PSU while plugged into the motherboard or an AC outlet...

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, it sounds like the problem is the fan.

What retard would work on a PSU while plugged into the motherboard or an AC outlet...
You would be absolutely amazed at the things people will do. Some of them come here and post messages ... the kind of things that make you pull out handfuls of hair and run screaming out into the night.

Thank God for Prozac and Zantac. :lol:

<A HREF="http://www.darwinawards.com/cgi-bin/frames.cgi?/main.shtml" target="_new">The Darwin Awards</A>

<A HREF="http://rinkworks.com/stupid/" target="_new">Computer Stupidities</A>

Toey

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=328&s=91c282f2e5207e99b7a652ee13b3512a" target="_new"><font color=green>My System Rigs</font color=green></A>

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/" target="_new"><b><font color=purple>BTVILLARIN.com</font color=purple></b></A> - <i><font color=orange>Your Computer Questions Answered</font color=orange></i>

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
If you take the manufacturer's sticker off the stationary side of the fan you will find a rubber plug underneath. Remove the plug, put in 1 (one) drop of lightweight oil (<b>not</b> WD-40) then run the fan horizontally, bearing side up for a minute or two, it should shut the thing up for a few months.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Ive replaced the PSU fan before. As long as you unplug it from everything (Mobo and mains supply), then wait for about an hour before working on it (go and have a bath, im sure you need one :smile: - j/k) it should be fine and the filtering caps should be discharged, just dont go sticking your hands on everything, and I wouldnt take the PCB out, because the contacts are underneath. then make sure you cut the correct wires, and that if you leave any wires hanging theyre well insulated. After this put it back together and your done, simple.

WARNING: I do not take any respobsibilty for you or your property in you comitting this act.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
No. If you heat it up it turns to varnish.

Use either 3 in 1 or sewing machine oil.

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
There's a very simple way to discharge the caps in a PSU... unplug it from the wall and then turn on the computer... let the computer discharge it for you.

Stoochie

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001
Hey man dont get intimidated by people who dont know what they are talking about. clearly they havent attempted at replacing ps fans before so their warnings are ridiculously funny. Like a poster said, you can unplug the power supply and try turning on the computer (hold the button down for a while! or put a jumper on the power sw pins) to drain some juice, however this is not as effective as using a power supply tester which can be had for 20 bucks, you plug it in and it does the draining for you. (additionally, most new power supplies have electric shock protection systems to further protect you, just dont rely on it, you dont want to test if it works - on yourself)

In general it is physically impossible to burn down your house or yourself from fiddling with fan wires, however if you get them backwards you will have a fan that is blowing the wrong way, which is not very optimal for your airflow.

Overall, the voltage on the fan is extremely low and you can safely short them with your fingers even with the unit plugged in (however it is not recommended and is quite stupid to actually try).

I have been reading around and saw an article on screensavers where this guy put fan controllers into the power supply to slow them down manually, i think that and a good quet fan will do wonders for you. check out panaflo or vantec stealth. Also you should check out the thermaltake volcano case fan, although it is as loud as a tornado on full speed, with the included speed controller you can make it 17db at the lowest setting and at this speed the fan moves more air then any other quiet fan.
you will pay a premium for it though, but with its speed control you can find a perfect balance of airflow and noise which cannot be done with the stealth fans.

p.s. Here are some more precautions to take when opening a power supply: Wear professional grade insulated gloves, (home depot) and only touch what you need to touch (fan wires).

If you have to take apart the psu and disassemble the innards (for example to reach a fan thats otherwise hard to reach) then you should definitelly invest in a power supply tester or atleast very high grade gloves (a good pair of boots with thick rubber soles is a plus) and discharge the capacitors with a jumper on the power sw pins atleast overnight (im talking about the pins on the motherboard, with the ps plugged into the motherboard).
If you are particularly brave (or stupid) and want to work without gloves on a questionably discharged power supply then you can minimize possible damage by using one hand at all times and keep the other hand behind your back.

You dont want to take unnecessary risks and i take no responsibility for your stupidity. Some power supplies can shock you even a full week+ after removed from the power outlet, so keep that in mind! Although its wise to wait a good amount of time (depending on psus power output) to fully discharge it without a tester, a majority of the charge is removed almost instantly when you try to power it on while unplugged from the wall. Getting shocked by the residual potential is therefore less dangerous but not very pleasant. If you have a pacemaker, just go ahead and buy a new power supply, your risk of death is absolutely not worth it.

The most economical way to do this is to purchase a ps tester, its 20 bucks or less and is by far the safest and surest way to drain your power supply, it even has an indicator to tell you its status. Also electricians gloves are cheap and should be a part of your toolbox anyway.

Saphire 9700pro (400gpu/333mem)
Asus A7N8X ND + XP 2700(192fsb x 12 @ 1.775v)
Corsair PC 3500 512 @ 5-3-3-2T :(
Audigy 2, WD-SE 80GIG
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by stoochie on 04/06/03 11:27 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Well, what do they say? Nothing is idiot proof from a skilled enough idiot, or something to that effect? I've seen crazier things happen in my time. This wouldn't surprise me.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it. That's my $0.02.

XP 2500+ Barton @ 2256Mhz
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
MSI GF3Ti 500 @ 265/570
16x DVD-ROM
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Onboard audio
3DMark 2001 SE - 10528

Stoochie

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001
Idiots are poeple that attempt or talk about things they know nothing about. This man is determined not to buy a new power supply and i want to make sure that he doesnt make an idiotic mistake. Making idiotic references in light of his question does nothing to help him, besides making your ignorance painfully obvious.

thats my $1

Audigy 2, WD-SE 80GIG

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Stoochie, I am trying to help him. You are interfering. Please keep you useless comments to yourself.

All I said was that I suggest he NOT pursue this avenue and purchase a new power supply. I have no idea of his experience with computers or anything of a technical nature. If he chooses to not heed my advice and go an alternate route, fine. I will not stop him, nor will I comment on his decision. It is his, and his alone. I only offer advice. I in no way attempt to offer advice on the avenue he may be determined to pursue.

You offer the only ignorance here. You belittle me simply because I offer an alternative to replacing PS fans. You call my post ridiculous, and yet your entire post is full of warnings to not injure himself. I merely offered an alternative to save him all of this trouble.

Painfully obvious? PooBaa offers the same advice as I do. I merely reinfoced the caution he had at the end. Please, speak no more of what you are obviously too lazy to worry about.

XP 2500+ Barton @ 2256Mhz
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
MSI GF3Ti 500 @ 265/570
16x DVD-ROM
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Onboard audio
3DMark 2001 SE - 10528

Stoochie

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001
sir, please read his satement about him not wanting to buy a new power supply. enough said.

Audigy 2, WD-SE 80GIG