EVGA GTX 580 SC - Software Fan Profile Problems?

ferenz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Hi,
I'm linking to another thread in the EVGA forum because I've already had a long back and forth over there. I wanted to post it here as well in case anyone has seen anything like this and can provide any insight; I would really appreciate it if so. Basically I'm encountering an issue where (I believe) enabling the software automatic fan control in MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision drastically reduces the performance of my GTX 580...please see thread for detail.

Thanks!

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1680140

verbalizer

Distinguished
welcome.

301.42 is buggy to me still but anyways that's what I'm running now on my EVGA GTX 580 SOC 1.5GB, I have not experienced this problem I think as of yet.

I read the EVGA thread, I post over there too sometimes..

what are the rest of your system specs.?
and are your monitors the same resolution.?

cheers.

ferenz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
My other system specs:

ASRock P67 Extreme 4 Gen 3
G.Skill 16GB (4x4) (stock clocks)
i5-2500k (stock clocks)

My monitors are an Asus 23" and an off-brand 17"...never had any issues with either before.

I built the system in early May and had no troubles until last Friday (right after I enabled the custom fan profile for the first time).

verbalizer

Distinguished

there is an issue with dual monitors of different resolutions as well as different outputs sometimes, I'll explain.
(might not be your problem but just bringing it to your attention)
run different resolutions can make the GPU run hotter at idle by as much as 12(C) higher.
say one monitor is 1080p and the other is 120:10.

also the same can be said about running different outputs as well, running 1-DVI and 1-VGA can have the same effect.
try it and see.
unplug one of your monitors and see if indeed the temps drop.

how old is the GPU in question and what other changes besides drivers have you made.?

ferenz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Yeah, I was aware of that issue but I haven't had any problem with temps. The only reason I started using the custom fan profile is that I found that my GPU temp was maxing at 87 degrees while the fan was maxing at 62% which seemed like a pretty terrible setup, so I adjusted and after that my GPU temp never gets above 70 with fan speed at 75% and 99% GPU usage. Maybe the fact that the stock "auto" fan setting was maxing at 62% with 99% gpu usage is an indicator that something is wrong with the hardware and this is simply a symptom of that?

ferenz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Also, the GPU is only 3 months old and has been run at stock clocks since I installed it. Besides drivers, the only significant changes I've made since it was working again fine this morning are to install EVGA Precision, set a custom fan profile and some OSD stuff, and install a few utilities (shown in the Programs pic in the other thread).

ferenz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
I'm wondering if it could be some sort of temperature throttling issue. Like somehow setting the custom fan profile changes the hardware-level temperature throttling for the card and it starts limiting performance thinking that the temp "ceiling" is much lower than it is. Of course I could be completely wrong and it may have nothing to do with this. But the issue has started three times in the past 6 days after never occurring before in 3 months usage, and all three times it has occurred after a reboot following the first setting of a custom fan profile for the windows 7 installation.