Sethwg

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
Hello, I'm planning my first build. I'll mainly be gaming. These are my probable specs:

CPU: i5 3570k
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z77
GPU: Asus GTX 670 top (or) EVGA 670 FTW
SSD: Samsung 830 series 256gb
Ram: 16gb Kingston hyperX
Hard drive: Western Digital caviar black 1tb
Cooler: Cooler master hyper 612
Case: Corsair 600t graphite series

I'm seeking out ideas, suggestions or comments regarding this setup. I'm hesitant to go with water cooling because I'd rather not come home to a defective unit and a burnt out motherboard. 
Also looking for ideas on fans to add or replace. Thank you for any input, I'll be checking back in.

malbluff

Honorable
If you can actually GET a Asus TOP, it's much the better one. Unless you are doing a lot of memory intensive work, like photo/video editing, you don't need 16GB of ram. You don't give exact model of RAM. You may find something like GSkill Ares, or Corsair Low profile, are better, and cheaper.

g-unit1111

Titan
No point in purchasing the Sabertooth - it's overrated and very overpriced for what you get. You can get a Gigabyte or Asrock Z77 for $100 less. And as was said you don't need 16GB of RAM - just get 8GB and then add a nice SSD to your system from Samsung, Plextor, or Crucial.

malbluff

Honorable
I quite like the Sabretooth. Built like a tank and 5 year warranty. You can't knock the quality. Overpriced? Yes. Still, if you've got the money, and want the best, why not. Someone who buys a Sabretooth, isn't doing it for value for money. I wouldn't buy one myself, but if someone offered me one for a good few bucks less, I'd grab it with both hands.

idroid

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

why would you want a 5 years warranty when in 2 years MAX it will be very outdated??? i understand that it means quality but other motherboards have very good quality too and are a lot less expensive, i have this little rule : go loud or go home, you either buy the best motherboard you can find that supports 4 way sli /cf with some useless features or a cheap ~100-140$ mobo that will be more than enough for anything you will ever need.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I agree - if something's going to go wrong it's going to happen in the first 60 days. Five years? They may as well forget the product exists by then. :lol:

Sethwg

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
The ram I'm considering is: KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX
Going with 16gb because $90 seems cheap for it. I was looking into the sabertooth mainly for the heat management features because my environment is usually 80 degrees+.

g-unit1111

Titan

Cheap but not needed. You're better off getting 8GB and spending more on the GPU. On a gaming rig the GPU and power supply are the most important parts of the build and you don't want to skimp or compromise on them. The motherboard and everything else is pretty much an afterthought.

If it means getting a better 7870, 7950, 670, etc. The Sabertooth's heat management features really don't do anything for improving your system's heat generation. You're better off getting a few extra fans and setting them up correctly, I think the board is overrated for what it offers compared to similar models that cost $100 less.

Sethwg

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012

Alright, thank you for the advice. Do you have any specific boards in mind? I saw you mentioned an Asrock or Gigabyte. This machine has been something I've wanted for quite awhile so I want to do it right and have something that'll last me a couple years.. but with how fast tech is advancing nowadays I'll be lucky.. As for the power supply I was going to go with a corsair professional hx 750. Any suggestions on a better case choice than the 600t?

idroid

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

*Yep, an Asrock Z77 Extreme 4/6 or a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H

*Well, buy a 750w PSU only if you're gonna get dual cards now or in the future.

*Hmmm, TBH i really don't like Corsair cases, specially not the 600t, for its price you can get bigger and better cases or cases with better performance/price ration such as:

Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Fractal Design Define R4
NZXT Phantom
Corsair 500R
NZXT Phantom 410

malbluff

Honorable
You can certainly improve the vent on the graphite, with better fans, though I don't think the stock fans are anything special. Some of the ones idroid has given you would be better. A lot is down to a bit of thought about what you put in the case. For instance, like for like, nVidia GPU's tend to have lower power consumption, and tend to run cooler, and potentially dump less heat in the case. I know a lot of people don't like them, but a liquid cooler, for CPU, is worth considering. If you use an oversized radiator (for your needs), in the exhaust air flow, you can runs their fans below full speed, to keep them reasonable quiet, and avoid CPU dumping heat into case. You also get the fringe benefit that you can use RAM with high heat sinks, which will themselves run slightly cooler.
Of course, the best answer is air conditioning, but if that's not feasable, you've just got to do what you can to minimise the problem (and don't plan on overclocking too agressively)

g-unit1111

Titan

Most motherboards won't support speeds beyond 1600, and with the design of Sandy / Ivy Bridge having the RAM controller on the chip itself rather than the motherboard, overclocking your RAM can lead to serious system malfunction and instability problems. Bad idea.

Alright, thank you for the advice. Do you have any specific boards in mind? I saw you mentioned an Asrock or Gigabyte. This machine has been something I've wanted for quite awhile so I want to do it right and have something that'll last me a couple years.. but with how fast tech is advancing nowadays I'll be lucky.. As for the power supply I was going to go with a corsair professional hx 750. Any suggestions on a better case choice than the 600t?

Go with the Asrock Extreme 4 or Gigabyte UD3H. As far as cases try the Carbide 500R - it's a bit cheaper than the 600T and still has the same Corsair quality you'd expect. Alternately check out the Antec 1100 and NZXT Switch 810.

G

I think its a really good system for gaming, if your looking for better performance I would choose the asus gpu ;)

spat55

Distinguished

I did say the fastest your CPU and Mobo will support which is 1600 mhz i think.