put a Logoff Icon on desktop

I would like to put a logoff icon on the desktop of the lab computers at our
university. I know how to do it with tweakxp pro, and I know how to do it
with the shutdown command. What I would like to do, is to put an icon on the
desktop that works just like the logoff command on the startmenu, one that
shows the username as well. Can anyone help me with this?

Thank you!
5 answers Last reply
More about logoff icon desktop

    "esabotta" <esabotta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I would like to put a logoff icon on the desktop of the lab computers at
    >our
    > university. I know how to do it with tweakxp pro, and I know how to do it
    > with the shutdown command. What I would like to do, is to put an icon on
    > the
    > desktop that works just like the logoff command on the startmenu, one that
    > shows the username as well. Can anyone help me with this?
    >
    > Thank you!

    I haven't tried it, but going by the help brought up by "shutdown /?", a
    shortcut to "shutdown -l" ought to do it...

    That's what I've got right now, but it dosent bring up a confirm dialogue box
    nore does it put the users name on the desktop like in the startmenu.

    "Homer J. Simpson" wrote:

    > "esabotta" <esabotta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I would like to put a logoff icon on the desktop of the lab computers at
    > >our
    > > university. I know how to do it with tweakxp pro, and I know how to do it
    > > with the shutdown command. What I would like to do, is to put an icon on
    > > the
    > > desktop that works just like the logoff command on the startmenu, one that
    > > shows the username as well. Can anyone help me with this?
    > >
    > > Thank you!
    >
    > I haven't tried it, but going by the help brought up by "shutdown /?", a
    > shortcut to "shutdown -l" ought to do it...

    > That's what I've got right now, but it dosent bring up a confirm dialogue
    > box

    Well then you'll have to do a little coding yourself. You should be able to
    have your shortcut call wscript or cscript to execute some code similar to
    the following (untested):

    var oShell = new ActiveXObject( "WScript.Shell" );
    if( 1 == oShell.Popup( "Are you sure you wish to logoff?", 0, "Please
    confirm...", 33 ) )
    oShell.run( "shutdown -l" );

    > nore does it put the users name on the desktop like in the startmenu.

    The above script will log off the current user after confirmation, whoever
    it is, and not anybody else...if you really need to know who the current
    user is before deciding to log off, look at the Start menu, just like you
    have to do right now...

    I suppose you could have the script above fetch the current user name (or
    evaluate %USERNAME%) and display it as part of the confirmation dialog box.
    I don't know the exact details off the top of my head, but I know they've
    been posted in microsoft.public.scripting.wsh before.

    "esabotta" <esabotta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I would like to put a logoff icon on the desktop of the lab computers
    >at our
    > university. I know how to do it with tweakxp pro, and I know how to
    > do it
    > with the shutdown command. What I would like to do, is to put an
    > icon on the
    > desktop that works just like the logoff command on the startmenu,
    > one that
    > shows the username as well. Can anyone help me with this?

    ----logoff.vbs-------------------
    Option Explicit
    On Error Resume Next

    Dim WshShell
    Dim logoffStr,yesnoButton
    Set WshShell=Wscript.CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
    logoffStr = "Log off user """ &
    WshShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%USERNAME%") & """ ?"
    yesnoButton = WSHShell.Popup(logoffStr,,"Log off Windows",52)
    select case yesnoButton
    case 6
    WSHShell.Run "shutdown -l"
    end select

    Set WSHShell = Nothing

    "esabotta" <esabotta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I would like to put a logoff icon on the desktop of the lab computers at
    >our
    > university. I know how to do it with tweakxp pro, and I know how to do it
    > with the shutdown command. What I would like to do, is to put an icon on
    > the
    > desktop that works just like the logoff command on the startmenu, one that
    > shows the username as well. Can anyone help me with this?
    >
    > Thank you!

    Put this on your desktop

    begin 666 Logoff.cmd.lnk
    M3 ````$4`@``````P ```````$;;````(" ``#XY('&O=L4!(,[]5[!VQ0&"
    M:,V"KW;%`1P````;````!P```$P&`````````````+$`% `?4.!/T"#J.FD0
    MHM@(`"LP,)T9`"]#.EP`````````````````````````/ `Q``````#5,I:R
    M$"!30U))4%13`"8``P`$`.^^)S*I$M8RYZ@4````4P!#`%(`20!0`%0`4P``
    M`!8`1@`R`!P```#5,J*R("!,;V=O9F8N8VUD```L``,`! #OOM4RD;+6,N>H
    M% ```$P`;P!G`&\`9@!F`"X`8P!M`&0````:````1P```!P````!````' ``
    M7 !,`&\`9P!O`&8`9@`N`&,`;0!D``H`0P`Z`%P`4P!#`%(`20!0`%0`4P`A
    M````````````PBY661"R5TNPT77Q<,1FS6*7>)JCXMD1KEH``+23DRK"+E99
    @$+)72[#1=?%PQ&;-8I=XFJ/BV1&N6@``M).3*@``````
    `
    end

Configuration Desktops Command Prompt Customization Windows XP