Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Are my temps high?

Last response: in CPUs
January 26, 2013 5:08:33 AM

Hi guys, a few days ago I built a Pentium D machine (don't judge me, ok?), and I have noticed that the temps are in the high zone, idling in the mid to high 50s, and under load, runs at 77-80 degrees. I've heard that the Pentium D runs hot, but are these temps abnormal?

Also, I made sure the HSF was clean and I used a small amount of thermal paste spread across the entirety of the chip, and I'm 120% sure the heatsink is mounted correctly. There is one large case fan in the bottom-front of my case.

Note: The temps are in Celsius, not Fahrenheit.

Thanks in advance,
Walkingepidemic

More about : temps high

a b à CPUs
January 26, 2013 5:26:25 AM

Your temp is high.try these steps 1)reinstall the heatsink and remove the old thermal paste and just pour a single pea sized thermal paste in middle of cpu and install fan.2)go to bios-select load optimized defaults.
Score
January 26, 2013 5:36:52 AM

I already had re-applied and reinstalled the heatsink before this post. It is free of dust and any foreign materials. I have already loaded optimized defaults. Any other things you think would help?
Score
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b à CPUs
January 26, 2013 6:20:40 AM

Go to task manager and see which process more cpu usage.also run antivirus and antispyware scan.
Score
a c 79 à CPUs
January 26, 2013 6:30:09 AM

What is the Tcase read out? Which Pentium D, 90nm or 65nm (533 FSB or 800)?
Tcase is less for 90nm.

I think it will be a good idea if you can get the "distance to TjMAx" readout using core temp.
a stress test on my cpu, IPDT/Prime gives 33/28 C.

I feel if you score a 30-25 C distance to TjMAx on load then you can let HSF installation be.

A final thought, thermal compounds needs more than 100 hours(arctic silver 5) of running to set and temps do improve after that.

good luck
-satyam
Score
January 26, 2013 6:48:24 AM

I don't think Pentium D's are supported by CoreTemp, as they are not mentioned in the support list, but anyway, I have installed, but no temperature readout is available (everything is 0 degrees).
Although, it does say that my Pentium D is 65nm (Pentium D 930 Presler).
I don't know whether from this info you can determine the Tcase, but I don't really understand what Tcase is. So if you can clarify, it would be greatly appreciated.
Score
a c 79 à CPUs
January 26, 2013 7:01:57 AM

i'd say that those were ok for Pentium d.
Score
January 26, 2013 7:15:59 AM

satyamdubey said:

A final thought, thermal compounds needs more than 100 hours(arctic silver 5) of running to set and temps do improve after that.
-satyam

Cool, so I'll just wait a while to see if my temps decrease. But, is this time uptime, or time your system is running, or is the time just 100 hrs since you first applied the thermal paste?
Score
January 26, 2013 7:17:53 AM

13thmonkey said:
i'd say that those were ok for Pentium d.

Is this what your Pentium D ran at, if you had one?
Score
a c 79 à CPUs
January 26, 2013 7:27:07 AM

Okay, TCase is read from the IHS(integrated heat spreader) the shiny metal part part on cpu which HSF sits on. For your cpu, Tcase is 63.4 C. and TjMAx is the maximum core temp beyond which the cpu will start throttling.

Which software are you using to read temps? Open HW monitor? AIDA?

time to set is for cpu running. It is usually given as 2 weeks of 8 hours daily usage.
Score
January 26, 2013 7:42:42 AM

satyamdubey said:
Okay, TCase is read from the IHS(integrated heat spreader) the shiny metal part part on cpu which HSF sits on. For your cpu, Tcase is 63.4 C. and TjMAx is the maximum core temp beyond which the cpu will start throttling.

Which software are you using to read temps? Open HW monitor? AIDA?

time to set is for cpu running. It is usually given as 2 weeks of 8 hours daily usage.

I'm using CPUID HW Monitor Free to measure temps, and is the Tcase the optimum temp for the CPU?
Score

Best solution

a c 79 à CPUs
January 26, 2013 8:30:54 AM

okay, forget all that. the tjMax (maximum core temperature) for D 930 is 95 C. So you are well within temp envelope on load.

but how high s that load? I mean is it in gaming or stressing with prime95 type load?

I will agree with 13thMonkey as it seems that people seem to have higher idle temps with this procesor. All in all, I think your installation is working fine. Maybe a bit warmer than other comparable builds but still within operating limits.
January 26, 2013 10:21:17 AM

The load is based on gaming (Crysis Very High, Far Cry 2 Very High). I did a 10min OCCT test, and the temps peaked at 83 degrees.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 26, 2013 10:32:52 AM

There might be problem with your heatsink fan.
Score
February 2, 2013 11:36:08 PM

Best answer selected by walkingepidemic.
Score
!