Sign in with
Your question

Newly built system, faulty PSU?

Last response: in Systems
September 11, 2012 11:40:09 PM

Well a couple of days ago, I took the plunge and bought all the components I would need for a decent gaming PC. After a few hours of tedious labor, I fully assembled it and plugged in only the Ethernet, USB mouse receiver, VGA cord, and the power cord. The machine didn't start, it didn't make a sound, only the power and HDD indicator lights on the top front of the case came on and stayed on. Nothing else happened no matter how many times I pressed power. I unplugged everything and opened the case back up and made sure everything was connected and tried again to no avail. I suspect it could be the PSU because nothing else seems to have power. I am at a loss, and possibly $770 in the hole. Any help would appreciated.

SYSTEM SPECS:

Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer SGC-1000

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 AM3+

CPU: AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Processor

PSU: CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W ATX12V v2.3 80

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM

Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM SATA
September 11, 2012 11:40:39 PM

To be honest every parts seems to be high quality parts so i don't understand why they are not working.

i am 75% sure that you did something wrong, check the second thread on my signature to access tom's hardware troubleshooting sticky
m
l
Related resources
September 11, 2012 11:43:58 PM

Disconnect all drives, fans (not the CPU fan) and the GPU and see what happens. If it comes on try connecting the rest 1 thing at a time.
m
l
September 11, 2012 11:45:54 PM

simon12 said:
Disconnect all drives, fans (not the CPU fan) and the GPU and see what happens. If it comes on try connecting the rest 1 thing at a time.

i think FX chips don't have an iGPU.
m
l
September 11, 2012 11:56:06 PM

idroid said:
to rull out your PSU follow this video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4

I did the test and the PSU is not the cause. I'm going to take everything out again and start from scratch following the guide you suggested in case I missed something. For now I will try testing a couple other components in case they could be the cause. Ill repost back in a few hours with results.
m
l
September 12, 2012 2:09:57 AM

Back again. Took everything out and started from scratch. I have narrowed it down to either the mother board or the CPU. I'm thinking the mother board could be DOA, it could also the CPU due to the fact I had some trouble installing the heatsink and that could have caused something to go wrong. I'm not sure if there are any other ways of testing these components without having another PC,which I don't. I'll RMA both of them just to be safe and see if that yields results.
m
l
September 12, 2012 2:30:22 AM

Devil Hands said:
Back again. Took everything out and started from scratch. I have narrowed it down to either the mother board or the CPU. I'm thinking the mother board could be DOA, it could also the CPU due to the fact I had some trouble installing the heatsink and that could have caused something to go wrong. I'm not sure if there are any other ways of testing these components without having another PC,which I don't. I'll RMA both of them just to be safe and see if that yields results.

Hmmm i am inclined to think its the motherboard, a CPU is the last think i would worry about but a DOA cpu is perfectly possible.
m
l
September 12, 2012 3:47:19 AM

see if there a bios rev sticker on the mb or box. rev 04 is the min rev needed for the 8100 fx. if the bios is to old on that mb it may not post.
m
l
!