Super Cheap Hot Spot

lelmarir

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Hi all,
i'm searching for a super-cheap pc to build an hot spot, where the pc acts as firewall catching un-authenticated users and make them register/login.

So the pc is between the internet access and the users wifi network, so it need dual Lan or one lan and pci expansion (for the other lan).
As now i'm working with a old modified router which run OpenWRT. It's a nightmare... the worst is the usb pen as storage, i already got one broken (because the write cicles?).

My budget is low...say under 100$.

I seek for an already built system or some spare parts to assemble later.
Does it exist ?

thanks in advance

idroid

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

spat55

Distinguished

Nice! Shame when you get windows 7 it costs what a cheap pc costs though right?

idroid

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

I don't get it :(

tumblr_m9ilazoO2h1rrm8k9.png
:lol:

lelmarir

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012

I's more than enough, actually the system work with 300MHz cpu and 32Mb of ram.
But here the problem wold be the power consumption, it's a system always on and i can't afford to spend more in power than the system itself.

super cheap? i have just what you need!
you miss the hd, the total is about 200$ (double my budget)

i'm searching for something like this: http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=27

mavroxur

Distinguished

It's not like you need a 500GB hard drive, 4GB RAM, and a Sandy Bridge CPU to build a captive portal box. If the OP wants a brand new system, then yes, it's a cheap alternative. If used is fine, you can pretty much build something like that with anything. I ran a similar setup on a Pentium III 1GHz with 768MB RAM for several years, and it ran great. To cut power consumption I ran it with no video card either (accessed through RDP to do configuration changes or maintenance). On a 300VA UPS it didn't even register enough consumption to make it to the 20% bar on the load bar graph.