Folder size from command?

August 4, 2005 6:45:11 PM

Howdy-

Is there any way to get the size of a single folder from the command
line? I know diruse can search/display within a tree, but I'd like to
be able to get size information for specific folder without having to
use Explorer... Maybe a third-party tool?

TIA,
BM

More about : folder size command

Anonymous
August 4, 2005 8:19:44 PM

dir "folder name"

doesn't that give this info?

"Brian MXP" <brian@nospam.broad.mit.edu> wrote in message
news:o loLmSSmFHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Howdy-
>
> Is there any way to get the size of a single folder from the command line?
> I know diruse can search/display within a tree, but I'd like to be able to
> get size information for specific folder without having to use Explorer...
> Maybe a third-party tool?
>
> TIA,
> BM
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 3:04:45 PM

"Jack Handey" <nothere@overthere.com> wrote in message

> "Brian MXP" <brian@nospam.broad.mit.edu> wrote in message
> news:o loLmSSmFHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Howdy-
>>
>> Is there any way to get the size of a single folder from the command
>> line? I know diruse can search/display within a tree, but I'd like to be
>> able to get size information for specific folder without having to use
>> Explorer... Maybe a third-party tool?
>>
>> TIA,
>> BM
>

> dir "folder name"
>
> doesn't that give this info?

dir "folder name" | find "(s)"

might be more useful - could be refined further if we knew precisely the
details you are looking for.

batch solutions for similar problems are often discussed in
alt.msdos.batch.nt

HTH

....Bill
August 5, 2005 3:04:46 PM

billious wrote:
> "Jack Handey" <nothere@overthere.com> wrote in message
>
>>"Brian MXP" <brian@nospam.broad.mit.edu> wrote in message
>>news:o loLmSSmFHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>
>>>Howdy-
>>>
>>>Is there any way to get the size of a single folder from the command
>>>line? I know diruse can search/display within a tree, but I'd like to be
>>>able to get size information for specific folder without having to use
>>>Explorer... Maybe a third-party tool?
>>>
>>>TIA,
>>>BM
>>

>>dir "folder name"
>>
>>doesn't that give this info?
>>

> dir "folder name" | find "(s)"
>
> might be more useful - could be refined further if we knew precisely the
> details you are looking for.
>
> batch solutions for similar problems are often discussed in
> alt.msdos.batch.nt
>
> HTH
>
> ...Bill

Thanks.

My bad on this one; diruse is what I need. I had been so used to
running diruse to loop through directories for specific-sized folders
that I forgot it could be used to display single (I did want sub-dirs,
too) folder sizes...

c:\temp>diruse <foldername> /m

gave me what I wanted (in Megabytes)

btw, this option:
>>dir "folder name"
>>
>>doesn't that give this info?
didn't

Appreciate the help!
Brian
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 1:05:03 AM

Brian MXP wrote:
> Howdy-
>
> Is there any way to get the size of a single folder from the command
> line? I know diruse can search/display within a tree, but I'd like to
> be able to get size information for specific folder without having to
> use Explorer... Maybe a third-party tool?

Another option is the free Folder Size shell extension, which shows the size
of both files and folders in Explorer's 'Details' view.
http://foldersize.sourceforge.net/
!