Folder size from command?

Howdy-

Is there any way to get the size of a single folder from the command
line? I know diruse can search/display within a tree, but I'd like to
be able to get size information for specific folder without having to
use Explorer... Maybe a third-party tool?

TIA,
BM
4 answers Last reply
More about folder size command

    dir "folder name"

    doesn't that give this info?

    "Jack Handey" <nothere@overthere.com> wrote in message

    > "Brian MXP" <brian@nospam.broad.mit.edu> wrote in message
    >> Howdy-
    >>
    >> Is there any way to get the size of a single folder from the command
    >> line? I know diruse can search/display within a tree, but I'd like to be
    >> able to get size information for specific folder without having to use
    >> Explorer... Maybe a third-party tool?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >> BM
    >

    > dir "folder name"
    >
    > doesn't that give this info?

    dir "folder name" | find "(s)"

    might be more useful - could be refined further if we knew precisely the
    details you are looking for.

    batch solutions for similar problems are often discussed in
    alt.msdos.batch.nt

    HTH

    ....Bill

    billious wrote:
    > "Jack Handey" <nothere@overthere.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Brian MXP" <brian@nospam.broad.mit.edu> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Howdy-
    >>>
    >>>Is there any way to get the size of a single folder from the command
    >>>line? I know diruse can search/display within a tree, but I'd like to be
    >>>able to get size information for specific folder without having to use
    >>>Explorer... Maybe a third-party tool?
    >>>
    >>>TIA,
    >>>BM
    >>

    >>dir "folder name"
    >>
    >>doesn't that give this info?
    >>

    > dir "folder name" | find "(s)"
    >
    > might be more useful - could be refined further if we knew precisely the
    > details you are looking for.
    >
    > batch solutions for similar problems are often discussed in
    > alt.msdos.batch.nt
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > ...Bill

    Thanks.

    My bad on this one; diruse is what I need. I had been so used to
    running diruse to loop through directories for specific-sized folders
    that I forgot it could be used to display single (I did want sub-dirs,
    too) folder sizes...

    c:\temp>diruse <foldername> /m

    gave me what I wanted (in Megabytes)

    btw, this option:
    >>dir "folder name"
    >>
    >>doesn't that give this info?
    didn't

    Appreciate the help!
    Brian

    Brian MXP wrote:
    > Howdy-
    >
    > Is there any way to get the size of a single folder from the command
    > line? I know diruse can search/display within a tree, but I'd like to
    > be able to get size information for specific folder without having to
    > use Explorer... Maybe a third-party tool?

    Another option is the free Folder Size shell extension, which shows the size
    of both files and folders in Explorer's 'Details' view.
    http://foldersize.sourceforge.net/

Configuration Command Prompt Customization Microsoft Windows XP