Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 24, 2012 6:54:00 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Now
BUDGET RANGE: up to $90 before rebates
USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Play Star Wars: The Old Republic mostly. Really would like to play the game in higher graphics settings than current.
CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Current GPU is Intel X4500, PSU is Therlmaltake K2-500 (500w, up from stock 300w)

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
• Gateway DX4820-01
• Intel Core2 Quad Q8300 2.5Ghz
• 1TB WD Caviar Black HD
• 6 GB RAM
• G43 Chipset
• Open PCIe 2.0x16 slot
• Win7 Home Premium

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Prefer to shop Amazon or Newegg
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: I haven’t bought a GPU in like 10 years, no loyalty or set notions on a card/company, but from what I’ve read, I think I want the card to have DDR5 memory.

OVERCLOCKING: Likely no
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Neither
MONITOR RESOLUTION: Current monitor is 1680x1050
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Would prefer a card with its own fan for peace of mind. Even though the computer is a few years old, it still runs things quite well and I’ve put some money into it to replace the PSU and hard drive after their untimely deaths. I looked at bit at the forums for SWTOR, but everyone there seems to talk about buying stuff that is out of my budget. The game performs well on my computer in low graphics settings, but it tends to get bogged down in raids. I’d like to play solo in high and would be fine with going down to medium for raids. Thank you in advance.

More about : upgrading intel x4500 playing swtor

Related resources
July 25, 2012 6:07:59 PM

panwala95 said:
you can go for this gt 440 which should be slightly better than that hd 6670 considering its bigger bus width which would enable you to crank up the anti aliasing-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Based on this article http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gt-640-revi... it sure looks to me that the GT 440 doesn't perform nearly as well as a 6670 w/ DDR5. Thanks for your help though. I've made my purchase and should be installing it on Friday.
m
l
!