Color prints

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
September 22, 2005 5:04:18 PM

Hi
I have a problem with color management on photoshopCS.
I have the color setting on the Canon 20D set to sRGB as I do mostly people
photography that I send to regular color labs.
My Lab does a great job when printing direct from the camera.

However pictures that I adjust in ps (photoshop) come out flat.
It's really frustrating after spending hours getting a picture just "right"
The color space setting I have on my computer/ps is sRGB IEC61966-2.1
Should it be Adobe RGB 1998?
I have tried it but when I use it I get "color space change warnings".

Do I use a general purpose color setting or is a "prepress" setting better
for color prints from modern labs?

Can you please help?

Best wishes

More about : color prints

Anonymous
September 22, 2005 5:54:02 PM

In article <dgua4i$5n9$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>,
"Jack" <No@mail.Please> wrote:

> Hi
> I have a problem with color management on photoshopCS.
> I have the color setting on the Canon 20D set to sRGB as I do mostly people
> photography that I send to regular color labs.
> My Lab does a great job when printing direct from the camera.
>
> However pictures that I adjust in ps (photoshop) come out flat.
> It's really frustrating after spending hours getting a picture just "right"
> The color space setting I have on my computer/ps is sRGB IEC61966-2.1
> Should it be Adobe RGB 1998?
> I have tried it but when I use it I get "color space change warnings".
>
> Do I use a general purpose color setting or is a "prepress" setting better
> for color prints from modern labs?
>
> Can you please help?
>
> Best wishes

So your shooting jpegs? Adobe 1998 is good profile if your shooting Raw
for print media and perhaps Lambda-Lightjet print as well. <This is from
my experience>. So if your shooting jpegs and taking your files to a
Walmart or other mini lab the sRGB is the profile of choice (So you are
correct for that).

As for the flat color there are a number of ways in PS to get better
results, that is if the lab manages their end of it consistently.
Personally I am almost to the point of say why bother with running
across town, and I am about ready to buy a higher quality Inkjet. Too
much dinking around at my expense & on my time. In any event, you can
adjust the black and white points in PS- Levels and that should give you
more contrast which is what your lacking, what you see on screen is not
what may be correct for the lab and thats the simple reality. Ask the
lab if they have a profile of choice or a calibration file they can give
you, realizing you may get "Blank stares :-) " Also realize that is just
the beginning of the calibration process to their system. At a better
prolab you may be able to give them an Inkjet for reference for those
big 100 or 1,000 print jobs :-) Hope it helps.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
September 22, 2005 6:12:17 PM

Thanks for your replies. However I feel that it's not a monitor issue as I
am using spyder color software, besides I have this problem when I only
adjust the levels (density) lighter and darker.
I also, use the "info" display rather then pure visual.
It seems to be a contrast problem rather then a color question.

Thanks

"Gregory Blank" <greg@greg_____photo.com> wrote in message
> In article <dgua4i$5n9$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>,
> "Jack" <No@mail.Please> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > I have a problem with color management on photoshopCS.
> > I have the color setting on the Canon 20D set to sRGB as I do mostly
people
> > photography that I send to regular color labs.
> > My Lab does a great job when printing direct from the camera.
> >
> > However pictures that I adjust in ps (photoshop) come out flat.
> > It's really frustrating after spending hours getting a picture just
"right"
> > The color space setting I have on my computer/ps is sRGB IEC61966-2.1
> > Should it be Adobe RGB 1998?
> > I have tried it but when I use it I get "color space change warnings".
> >
> > Do I use a general purpose color setting or is a "prepress" setting
better
> > for color prints from modern labs?
> >
> > Can you please help?
> >
> > Best wishes
>
> So your shooting jpegs? Adobe 1998 is good profile if your shooting Raw
> for print media and perhaps Lambda-Lightjet print as well. <This is from
> my experience>. So if your shooting jpegs and taking your files to a
> Walmart or other mini lab the sRGB is the profile of choice (So you are
> correct for that).
>
> As for the flat color there are a number of ways in PS to get better
> results, that is if the lab manages their end of it consistently.
> Personally I am almost to the point of say why bother with running
> across town, and I am about ready to buy a higher quality Inkjet. Too
> much dinking around at my expense & on my time. In any event, you can
> adjust the black and white points in PS- Levels and that should give you
> more contrast which is what your lacking, what you see on screen is not
> what may be correct for the lab and thats the simple reality. Ask the
> lab if they have a profile of choice or a calibration file they can give
> you, realizing you may get "Blank stares :-) " Also realize that is just
> the beginning of the calibration process to their system. At a better
> prolab you may be able to give them an Inkjet for reference for those
> big 100 or 1,000 print jobs :-) Hope it helps.

September 22, 2005 7:47:16 PM

"Jack" <No@mail.Please> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:D gua4i$5n9$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Hi
> I have a problem with color management on photoshopCS.
> I have the color setting on the Canon 20D set to sRGB as I do mostly
people
> photography that I send to regular color labs.
> My Lab does a great job when printing direct from the camera.
>
> However pictures that I adjust in ps (photoshop) come out flat.
> It's really frustrating after spending hours getting a picture just
"right"
> The color space setting I have on my computer/ps is sRGB IEC61966-2.1
> Should it be Adobe RGB 1998?
> I have tried it but when I use it I get "color space change warnings".
>
> Do I use a general purpose color setting or is a "prepress" setting
better
> for color prints from modern labs?
>
> Can you please help?
>
> Best wishes

Jack, did you calibrate (at least with a tool like AdobeGamma, better
with
a hardware solution) your monitor ?
Workingcolorspace sRGB is ok when you have set your camera to sRGB, too
I dont know what u mean with "prepress setting", but i think your
problem
is your monitor setting.
You can make a simple test : open a image in PS,
and save it without adjustments.
Then give the original and the saved version to your lab,
both should be the same.

HTH
Dieter
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 7:47:17 PM

"Dieter Mayr" <dietersbg68@hotmail.com> writes:
> Jack, did you calibrate (at least with a tool like AdobeGamma,
> better with a hardware solution) your monitor ?

Last time I tried to use my iBook's monitor calibration tool my greys
came out brown, so I went back to the defaults and turned the
brightness down a little (several people having complained that some
of my pictures were hopelessly dark on their screens).

Probably I should try again some time, but meanwhile what sort of
thing did you have in mind as a hardware solution here?

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
Anonymous

Jack wrote:

> Thanks for your replies. However I feel that it's not a monitor issue as I
> am using spyder color software, besides I have this problem when I only
> adjust the levels (density) lighter and darker.
> I also, use the "info" display rather then pure visual.
> It seems to be a contrast problem rather then a color question.

What are you using to adjust "the levels (density) lighter and darker?"
This could be part of your problem. In photoshop only use
the actual levels tool, or curves tool. Never use the
brightness/contrast tool. Brightness/contrast is an additive tool.
Curves is multiplicative, which is what you want. Levels is
subtractive (low end) and multiply upper end. You can increase
contrast with the curves tool making the 45 degree line slightly
S-shaped (down a little near the low end; up a little at the
bright end).

Roger
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 1:29:21 PM

"Jack" <No@mail.Please> wrote in message
news:D gua4i$5n9$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Hi
> I have a problem with color management on photoshopCS.
> I have the color setting on the Canon 20D set to sRGB as I do mostly
people
> photography that I send to regular color labs.
> My Lab does a great job when printing direct from the camera.
>
> However pictures that I adjust in ps (photoshop) come out flat.
> It's really frustrating after spending hours getting a picture just
"right"
> The color space setting I have on my computer/ps is sRGB IEC61966-2.1
> Should it be Adobe RGB 1998?
> I have tried it but when I use it I get "color space change warnings".
>
> Do I use a general purpose color setting or is a "prepress" setting better
> for color prints from modern labs?
>
> Can you please help?
>
> Best wishes

Try this, take one of those "flat" prints and copy it to the clipboard.
Create a new doccument and paste it. See what happens.
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 1:52:00 PM

"Richard Kettlewell" <rjk@greenend.org.uk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Probably I should try again some time, but meanwhile what sort of
> thing did you have in mind as a hardware solution here?

Richard

I had a colorimeter solution in mind, like Monaco's Spider or
dl-c's Profile Mechanic

Dieter
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 2:16:00 PM

"Dieter Mayr" <dietersbg68@hotmail.com> writes:
> "Richard Kettlewell" <rjk@greenend.org.uk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

>> Probably I should try again some time, but meanwhile what sort of
>> thing did you have in mind as a hardware solution here?
>
> Richard
>
> I had a colorimeter solution in mind, like Monaco's Spider or
> dl-c's Profile Mechanic

Thanks - I'll look into it.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/