tombenning08846

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Hi I just finished my first PC build. Right now I am running off an Asrock Z77 extreme 4, 3570k, 8gb of ram, and windows7 64 bit. Today my brand new GTX 680 came and I was hoping to be playing Crysis 2 or something but the gpu had other ideas. Basically my pc doesn't see the gpu. I checked in device manager as well as the bios and nothing there for a gtx 680.

Here's exactly what I did.

Yesterday the PC was on and running off the mobo's graphics.

Today I seated the gpu into the PCIe slot and plugged in BOTH six pin power cables.

The fan is on so I know the gpu has power.

Any ideas? :eek:

Solution
the video card wont turn on if you dont install the mb chipset drivers. download the newest ones from intel. install them and then reboot. if the card is seen it should show up under device manager..if not use gpu-z and cpu-z to see why..also make sure your using the top pci video slot near the cpu. check for dirt or a bent pin in the pci slot..you can also try the other pci slot..just turn the power off when you move the cards.also check your bios..they have a bios patch for video cards and the on board video.
Normally in the BIOS - it gives you an option for onboard/PEG graphics. You would have to make sure your video output is set to your PEG (another word for PCI E add on graphics cards).

Or if you cannot find such an option, or know where to look:

You could shut down your computer (unplug it from the power supply as well), take out the watch battery on the motherboard and press the power/reset buttons a few times.

After a few minutes, make sure your GPU is seated correctly, put the watch battery back in the motherboard, re-connect your power cord to your PSU and turn your computer on - this should automatically make your BIOS select the PCIE graphics card.

the video card wont turn on if you dont install the mb chipset drivers. download the newest ones from intel. install them and then reboot. if the card is seen it should show up under device manager..if not use gpu-z and cpu-z to see why..also make sure your using the top pci video slot near the cpu. check for dirt or a bent pin in the pci slot..you can also try the other pci slot..just turn the power off when you move the cards.also check your bios..they have a bios patch for video cards and the on board video.

Solution

tombenning08846

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
actually...

after installing the mobo drivers and the gpu-z the onboard graphics stopped working. and much to my suprise the gpu actually started working in turn.

maybe it was a fluke but that seems to have done the job and all of the stress tests are going well. thanks guys.

now the case is closed ;)

tom just to let you know the drivers on the cd are weeks if not months old..
you want to go to the vendors web page from the driver info on your cd or mb web page and down load the newest ones.
(intel chipset..intel mei driver)
sound card and network driver and usb driver if your mb has a 3 party use controller.