Adding wireless to existing ethernet network

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

have a small (4 port) ethernet peer top peer network with one of the PCs
having a PCI ADSL modem providing internet connectivity to the whole
network - it also provides file storage and printer access for all connected
PCs). I have recently acquired a tablet PC with 8011b wireless capability
and am looking for the simplest (OK, cheapest) way to connect this to the
existing network to share printer/files and more importantly the ADSL
connection. Can I simply do this by adding a wireless access point to the
ADSL PC (which is always on) or do I have to buy a new external ADSL
wireless router (with modem) and connect it to the existing ethernet
network.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

"Chris" <aardvark99@(remove)lineone.net> wrote in

> have a small (4 port) ethernet peer top peer network with one of the
> PCs
> having a PCI ADSL modem providing internet connectivity to the whole
> network - it also provides file storage and printer access for all
> connected PCs). I have recently acquired a tablet PC with 8011b
> wireless capability and am looking for the simplest (OK, cheapest) way
> to connect this to the existing network to share printer/files and
> more importantly the ADSL connection. Can I simply do this by adding a
> wireless access point to the ADSL PC (which is always on) or do I have
> to buy a new external ADSL wireless router (with modem) and connect it
> to the existing ethernet network.

As long as you have some way to assign IP addresses to your computers,
you can simply buy an access point and plug it in to your router. You
can configure the IPs manually, but it's much easier to just buy a
wireless router than go through all that other trouble. Then you set it
up just like any other client on your network. I have had good
experiences with Belkin and Linksys wireless routers.

Ryan